Newb trying to root Verizon Tablet Z2 (SGP561) from 5.0.2.

Search This thread

TheControlled

Feb 7, 2016
Okay, I admit, this website indimidates the hell out of me. I'm tech savy and not afraid to mess with things, but the level of new terminology here is staggering.

Anyway, now that you know I'm a wimp: I have a SGP561 Xperia Tablet Z2 from Verizon with Lollipo 5.0.2. I want to root it in order to install custom fonts on Photoshop Touch as I'm living abroad and using my tablet as my main computer while the beast lives back home.

I tried to use the Easy Root Tool but it failed. I assume this is because my firmware is too new and not exploitable as of yet, which means I have to downgrade I believe. I have found some files for flashing (?) but they aren't for the SGP561 specifically - does that matter? All I found were these for Xperia Z2 (not the tablet Z2?)
So, in the easiest language possible, can someone please give a step by step on how to downgrade my SGP561 to a rootable firmware and then flash (?) back to the latest firmware and keep root?

Please, please, please, and thank you.

AddictedToGlass

Feb 28, 2015
This site is frustrating as hell. Mods are quick to lock noob threads without offering help, and you're not allowed to ask questions in the areas where anyone who knows the friggin answer would ever be anyway! I have a rooted z3V running lollipop, etc, so I'm sort of familiar with the process. But developments had been made where rooting became easier.
I've been wading through endless threads filed with outdated crap trying to figure out how the hell to root my z2 tablet for 3 weeks. None of the way this stuff has been written makes ANY sense.
I'm on 5.02, and want root and dual recovery. Should be simple, right?
I don't even know where to ask the damned question anymore. I've downloaded virus filed $#!+ on my computer, thoroughly screwing it up, TWICE now, only to find I probably didn't even need that file. -Or do I? Download links are so old they don't go anywhere. Can't tell what's what here.
Even this thread ; a WEEK OLD, and no help.

TheControlled

Feb 7, 2016
This site is frustrating as hell. Mods are quick to lock noob threads without offering help, and you're not allowed to ask questions in the areas where anyone who knows the friggin answer would ever be anyway! I have a rooted z3V running lollipop, etc, so I'm sort of familiar with the process. But developments had been made where rooting became easier.
I've been wading through endless threads filed with outdated crap trying to figure out how the hell to root my z2 tablet for 3 weeks. None of the way this stuff has been written makes ANY sense.
I don't even know where to ask the damned question anymore. I've downloaded virus filed $#!+ on my computer, thoroughly screwing it up, TWICE now, only to find I probably didn't even need that file. -Or do I? Download links are so old they don't go anywhere. Can't tell what's what here.

You said it dude. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I'm pretty deflated right now and demoralized.
If I ever figure it out, I'll hunt you down and let you know. If you do, please do the same.
Regards.

Reactions: AddictedToGlass

shayloco

Jan 11, 2011
Seems that you guys are looking for a quick and easy fix, but i dont think that there is one. The method that I used is found in this thread.
http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z2-tablet/general/how-to-root-sgp561-z2-tablet-verizon-t3054700

good luck
I followed those steps in that link. It didn't work for me.
I could not downgrade to 17.1.D.0.437. The device was either in reboot cycle or in the status of in-completed flashed after I flashed the firmware ftf file provided in that post. I had to flash the latest firmware to restore the tablet. I was glad I didn't bricked my tablet.

Reactions: mygraine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You said it dude. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I'm pretty deflated right now and demoralized.
    If I ever figure it out, I'll hunt you down and let you know. If you do, please do the same.
    Regards.
    Seems that you guys are looking for a quick and easy fix, but i dont think that there is one. The method that I used is found in this thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z2-tablet/general/how-to-root-sgp561-z2-tablet-verizon-t3054700

good luck
    I followed those steps in that link. It didn't work for me.
    I could not downgrade to 17.1.D.0.437. The device was either in reboot cycle or in the status of in-completed flashed after I flashed the firmware ftf file provided in that post. I had to flash the latest firmware to restore the tablet. I was glad I didn't bricked my tablet.