Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,254 Members 35,905 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] faulty screen? lots of green dots and specs

Tip us?

jewelkobayashi
Old
(Last edited by jewelkobayashi; 18th August 2014 at 04:45 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogstoken View Post
I sent mine in but they did nothing at the problem. They sent it back within two days claiming there is no problem and that they had updated firmware (which they could not have done since I did it before I sent it in lol...)

I called support again and they in return will call the repairshop asking what they actually did to my tablet. Most likely (if everything turns out ok) I will have to send it in again (which is still is annoying) and hopefully they will notice the problem this time.
Which County are you?

Not to defend Sony in any way, but it can be difficult to spot the problem when the screen brightness is anything below 50%.

I notice my problems in the following scenarios.

1) when I boot up the tablet, first the Sony logo. Here you can see it a bit because the background is black. But it gets a lot worse when moving into the next screen during 'Xperia'. Here the brightness is turned up, making it extremely noticeable.

2) when I am trying to watch a movie outside or in a bright place making my screen reflect, forcing me to turn the brightness up above 70% mark...

3) when I am using my tablet in pitch dark... Even in low brightness setting it can be noticed. Especially bad when the movie scene I am watching is for example night time and thus naturally contains a lot of black on the screen.

Anyway, thanks for your info. Before I submit my tablet, I will make sure the recipient sees and understand the problem and get that person to attach a note to describe it for the repair crew.

Judging by the lack of response to this thread, we seem to have encountered a rare problem.

Skogstoken
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkobayashi View Post
Which County are you?

Not to defend Sony in any way, but it can be difficult to spot the problem when the screen brightness is anything below 50%.

I notice my problems in the following scenarios.

1) when I boot up the tablet, first the Sony logo. Here you can see it a bit because the background is black. But it gets a lot worse when moving into the next screen during 'Xperia'. Here the brightness is turned up, making it extremely noticeable.

2) when I am trying to watch a movie outside or in a bright place making my screen reflect, forcing me to turn the brightness up above 70% mark...

3) when I am using my tablet in pitch dark... Even in low brightness setting it can be noticed. Especially bad when the movie scene I am watching is for example night time and thus naturally contains a lot of black on the screen.

Anyway, thanks for your info. Before I submit my tablet, I will make sure the recipient sees and understand the problem and get that person to attach a note to describe it for the repair crew.

Judging by the lack of response to this thread, we seem to have encountered a rare problem.
Im from Sweden.

Yeah well I thought I was pretty clear on my instructions regarding how to notice the problem but you might be right. Mine isnt visible much when in use (apart from dark background with 100% brightness) and in dark enviroments.

Right now Im waiting for Sony Xperia support to call me telling me what the next step is. They wanted me to take a picture of them problem however its good to get a good print (picture is easy but printing it is harder ).

I have seen another thread regarding this at Sony Talk forum but that might be you aswell?

/ Henrik

jewelkobayashi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skogstoken View Post
Im from Sweden.

Yeah well I thought I was pretty clear on my instructions regarding how to notice the problem but you might be right. Mine isnt visible much when in use (apart from dark background with 100% brightness) and in dark enviroments.

Right now Im waiting for Sony Xperia support to call me telling me what the next step is. They wanted me to take a picture of them problem however its good to get a good print (picture is easy but printing it is harder ).

I have seen another thread regarding this at Sony Talk forum but that might be you aswell?

/ Henrik
UPDATE

I flew into HK last night and went straight to Xperia care centre this morning.
I did not need to mention anything, I showed him the green dots (he called them dead pixels) and took it in immediately.

Judging by his reaction (his English was not very good) it was not the first time he had seen this on the Z2 tablet, and seemed to ask no further.
I showed receipt from purchase, he gave me a form to sign, and I was told to come back in 4 hours.

I came back after 4 hours, and everything was perfect.

I wasn't sure at the time, but it involves replacing the whole front display unit. The LCD screen and outer glass seem to be one piece, because everything was changed.

just a pain that the screen protector was gone with the old screen, so I needed to go and buy new, and that they had to factory reset... one click root and Titanium backup will come in handy...

All in all, my first ever Sony repair experience was professional, efficient and stress free.

Skogstoken
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkobayashi View Post
UPDATE

I flew into HK last night and went straight to Xperia care centre this morning.
I did not need to mention anything, I showed him the green dots (he called them dead pixels) and took it in immediately.

Judging by his reaction (his English was not very good) it was not the first time he had seen this on the Z2 tablet, and seemed to ask no further.
I showed receipt from purchase, he gave me a form to sign, and I was told to come back in 4 hours.

I came back after 4 hours, and everything was perfect.

I wasn't sure at the time, but it involves replacing the whole front display unit. The LCD screen and outer glass seem to be one piece, because everything was changed.

just a pain that the screen protector was gone with the old screen, so I needed to go and buy new, and that they had to factory reset... one click root and Titanium backup will come in handy...

All in all, my first ever Sony repair experience was professional, efficient and stress free.
Glad to hear that everything turned out ok for you. I have sent mine back and it will soon be at the repair shop (i can track the package). Hopefully they will be able to spot the problem this time otherwise I will be mad.. ;(.

I will update the thread with the result!

superhyper
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Let us know how it goes! I have the same issue, but being here in the United States it will be difficult to send it back to an HK service center....