Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

This or Galaxy Tab S

OP AllanJacques

25th August 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 7

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJacques

One lant question, Tablet Z2 is absolutely better than Z1 in hardware all the way, but an upgrade from Z1 to Z2 is advisable? will I notice, on a day to day basis, a great improvement or not?

I upgraded from the Tablet Z1 to the Z2 Tablet. The differences are not huge. It was more the idea of having the newest and greatest (as a birthday present for myself) than anything else.

Specific aspects of the Z2 that I really enjoy more than on the Z1 are
1. The screen is noticeably better, particularly from off angles
2. There's no longer a flap over the headphone jack
3. I prefer the wireless charging set up on the Z2. You don't need a stand in order to wirelessly charge.

I was also happy to make the change for a reason particular to me: my old Z1 had only 16GB - I had not realized when I bought it that you CANNOT install apps on an external microsd. So when I got the Z2 I made sure to get the 32GB version.
25th August 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 29

143 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyWhale

I upgraded from the Tablet Z1 to the Z2 Tablet. The differences are not huge. It was more the idea of having the newest and greatest (as a birthday present for myself) than anything else.

Specific aspects of the Z2 that I really enjoy more than on the Z1 are
1. The screen is noticeably better, particularly from off angles
2. There's no longer a flap over the headphone jack
3. I prefer the wireless charging set up on the Z2. You don't need a stand in order to wirelessly charge.

I was also happy to make the change for a reason particular to me: my old Z1 had only 16GB - I had not realized when I bought it that you CANNOT install apps on an external microsd. So when I got the Z2 I made sure to get the 32GB version.

Can you define what you mean by wireless charging please? Do you mean you can use a magnetic lead like this on it? Or is there a feature I'm not aware of?
25th August 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 7

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANGER_A2

Can you define what you mean by wireless charging please? Do you mean you can use a magnetic lead like this on it? Or is there a feature I'm not aware of?

That's exactly what I mean. On the Tablet Z1 the wireless connections where on the two sides of the tablet when held in landscaper.
25th August 2014, 10:20 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 192

779 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chentz78

Just add a annoying bug on touch screen on Z2.
I'm on version 17.1.1.A.0.402 with SGP511 and scroll with tablet is awful. It replace touch scroll for touch "click".

Touch issue on Z2 tablet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbtc96YE6O8

Cheers,

Simply install the newest firmware (... .314). If not yet available in your country, take one of the FTFs available here. (I took the Russian one, works flawlessly.)

Then the touch bug will be gone.
23rd September 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Kit Kat drove me to the higher memory option
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJacques

Ok, I'm up to purchase a new tablet and I am divided between Z2 and Tab S.

I'm a happy owner of a Z1 tablet and I am wondering if Z2 is a better option than Tab S.
A far as I can tell Z2 has the edge on the chipset side but Tab S has a better screen, so my question for you is this: Wich tablet would you advise me to purchase?

One last detail: I love to read and browse the Web.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Hi, I looked into this quite deeply before going for the Z2. The Samsung S screen is excellent. But SD card woes under Android Kit Kat convinced me that I needed a 32 Gbyte tablet. There seem to be only 16 Gbyte Galaxy S' in Europe, so I went for the 32 Gbyte Z2.
Also, I have other Sony gear: camera NEX-6, TV....; the build quality of the Sony is higher; and the Samsung has a reputation for being loaded with bloatware and having a poor UI. Some reviews of the Samsung also mentioned that it stuttered under high processor loads.

Hope that helps.
23rd September 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 192

779 posts
The "SD card woes" under Kitkat are very easily resolvable (and thus not really "woes"):

1. Root
2. Install app "SDFix" from Playstore and run once (can be uninstalled after that). Done!

Then your SD card will work totally normal with full read-write access.
23rd September 2014, 11:35 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966

The "SD card woes" under Kitkat are very easily resolvable (and thus not really "woes"):

1. Root
2. Install app "SDFix" from Playstore and run once (can be uninstalled after that). Done!

Then your SD card will work totally normal with full read-write access.

Yes,thanks for that, I was just explaining the reasons dor my choice I suppose. And...

a) being a bit of a newbie and b) being otherwise very happy with my tablet, I don't feel the need to root just yet. But it's good to know the SDFix works with the Z2 tablet. Signs are that Sony might be bringing out a fix too. Rolling out on their cheaper smartphones now, I hear.
24th September 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #18  
Flag Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 274

1,846 posts
More
I wanted to have Tab S, but the speaker is terrible.
Moreover, Z2 has white balance control on the screen so you can adjust to your favor (I prefer clean/cool white).
27th September 2014, 02:34 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 34

358 posts
More
I had the same question as you, and the Tab S was the only tablet available.

Having a Z2 device, I really wanted the tablet since the phone is awesome. I didn't want to wait for shipment from Sony's website, and I have regretted it every day of owning the Tab S.

It is sluggish, choppy, and video that plays smooth on my Z2, the exact same thing is choppy on my Tab S. Because of the stupid chipset dev is non existent on the 10.5, and does not look like it will ever pick up, especially since the Note 4 will have the Snapdragon chipset.

I am probably going to sell it, take a little hit, and buy the Z2.
28th September 2014, 11:01 PM   |  #20  
Flag Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 274

1,846 posts
More
How about the speaker on Z2 compared with Tab S?
I tested Tab S and the speaker is much lower than my Note 10.1 classic. I want to buy Z2 Tablet, but I worry about the speakers (assuming everything is nearly the same as Tab S).

----edit----
Finally I had an opportunity to try both and found speaker on z2 is much better than Tab S (the latter one is very weak and badly compressed). In addition, z2 feels much solid than Tab S.
Last edited by mingkee; 4th October 2014 at 06:32 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread