Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is NFC + LTE communication possible

Tip us?

dennis_dev9988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Is NFC + LTE communication possible

Hi,

I'm working on a small project and am currently looking for a Tablet that I can use. As far as I understood, the "Sony Xperia Tablet Z2" (SGP 521) could be a good candidate for my project. I am asking this forum to potentially assist me with your knowledge and experience if the following is possible with the device:

(Some questions or comments seem to be obvious but I still write them down so that I can be sure we are talking on the same level. Please do not simply refer me to the search functionality of the forum, I did my homework and searched each of the topics before -- I just need a first-person-confirmation of someone if the below is really working.)

- I need to modify and compile the Linux (Android) Kernel of the device. Thus, the Source-Code of the Kernel for this device needs to freely available.
- The modified Kernel needs to be able to be uploaded and booting from the device, thus the Bootloader needs to be unlocked.
- The device needs to have running NFC and LTE communication, plus touch and usual tablet capabilities. For this, the necessary binary-drivers need to be able to be integrated to the custom kernel. I expect the drivers are not common (GPL-like) drivers but proprietary and at maximum available as binary-package to be integrated afterwards.

Is this all possible or can I expect major problems somewhere? The used LTE network most likely will be some LTE network in Germany. To my best knowledge, it is possible to unlook the bootloader and compile a custom kernel. Critical point is: Is NFC+LTE working and available as binary package to be integrated in the custom-kernel?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Best regards
Dennis

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 157
Perhaps you could first tell us (approximately) what you plan to do on the tablet.

That could probably save you quite an amount of superfluous time and work if your plan doesn't make any sense.

dennis_dev9988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966 View Post
Perhaps you could first tell us (approximately) what you plan to do on the tablet.

That could probably save you quite an amount of superfluous time and work if your plan doesn't make any sense.
Sure. Since I did not write much about my past experience, you simply can be sure that similar projects finished successful already. I've done similar things with Nexus and previous Google/Android developer devices, without much problems.

Back to your question:
The idea is to develop an application to be put on a nfc-capable external device to provide some external computed value. Afterwards, the tablet needs to communicate to the application on the external device, using a protocol I design that in the end uses common NFC communication and protocols. Finally, the Tablet sends results of the external-nfc-cabable device through LTE to the Internet, thus the LTE interface is only used to provide Internet functionality.

Does this answer cover your question properly?

Best Regards
Dennis

dennis_dev9988
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Really nobody uses a Sony Xperia Tablet Z2?

/push

I am really wondering nobody is using the Sony Xperia Tablet Z2 (SGP521) with LTE and once installed a custom Kernel (maybe Cyanogen Mod?) and afterwards used anything with NFC + Internet. Simply can't believe that.

If there is anyone, please confirm that NFC + Internet (using LTE) is working with a custom compiled kernel.

Best regards
Dennis