Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,552 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] soft brick question when flashing Cyanogenmod 11

Tip us?

cmd-line34
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] soft brick question when flashing Cyanogenmod 11

After I attempted to install the CM 11 preview that just came out it seems as though I get stuck in a boot loop. I am able to get into the bootloader but not the recovery. The reason I think I am stuck in the boot loop is because I did not know you had to flash the boot.img that was inside the .zip file, and went ahead and flashed the .zip in my current recovery. I am just wondering if I could still fastboot flash the boot.img file without causing even more problems.

Yes, in the forum the ROM was posted (http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...d-4-4-t2809793) but I guess I didn't see that he said it was in the zip .

Nonetheless, I just don't want to hard brick the device so that is why I am asking. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

kbroh
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd-line34 View Post
After I attempted to install the CM 11 preview that just came out it seems as though I get stuck in a boot loop. I am able to get into the bootloader but not the recovery. The reason I think I am stuck in the boot loop is because I did not know you had to flash the boot.img that was inside the .zip file, and went ahead and flashed the .zip in my current recovery. I am just wondering if I could still fastboot flash the boot.img file without causing even more problems.

Yes, in the forum the ROM was posted (http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...d-4-4-t2809793) but I guess I didn't see that he said it was in the zip .

Nonetheless, I just don't want to hard brick the device so that is why I am asking. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!
Just to clarify first, do you have a 4G tablet or wifi version? And which one did you flash (castor or castor_windy)

cmd-line34
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroh View Post
Just to clarify first, do you have a 4G tablet or wifi version? And which one did you flash (castor or castor_windy)
Opps, meant to mention that. I have the castor_windy version (Wi-Fi) model and flashed the castor_windy zip. I also meant to mention that I have an unlocked bootloader with the CWM based recovery (found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708194). I don't think this is as important but I do have the 16GB storage. I earlier said I could not get into that recovery that I have installed, but the violet light still goes on when I boot, but nothing else.

kbroh
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Opps, meant to mention that. I have the castor_windy version (Wi-Fi) model and flashed the castor_windy zip. I also meant to mention that I have an unlocked bootloader with the CWM based recovery (found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708194). I don't think this is as important but I do have the 16GB storage. I earlier said I could not get into that recovery that I have installed, but the violet light still goes on when I boot, but nothing else.
Ok no problem, Have you tried flashing CWM through fastboot, then reinstalling ROM through CWM?

If that can't be done, Can you flash this castor_windy version https://mega.co.nz/#!mJ5VTATR!Rb9pX0...UzXcf1nSTzj_Fk
through fastboot, then immediately flash CWM to secure a recovery.
The link is the castor_windy ROM without having to flash a boot.img separately. Thats your safest solution instead of flashing boot.img
The Following User Says Thank You to kbroh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cmd-line34
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you, just re-flashing the recovery from the thread I linked seemed to do the trick. Maybe I will try and flash Cyanogenmod later now that I got the stock ROM working again. At least I was smart enough to make a nandroid backup in CWM before hand though!

Again, thanks alot!

kbroh
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Thank you, just re-flashing the recovery from the thread I linked seemed to do the trick. Maybe I will try and flash Cyanogenmod later now that I got the stock ROM working again. At least I was smart enough to make a nandroid backup in CWM before hand though!

Again, thanks alot!
Good to hear!

Sent from my Xperia Z2 Tablet Wifi using XDA Premium 4 mobile app