Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,246 Members 39,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

NC earphones not really NC-ing

Tip us?

toncij
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default NC earphones not really NC-ing

I'm using those earphones but can't make them actually noise cancel anything really.
I've tried using them near a fan, engine, centrifuge, window, air - conditioner, anything with really stable and usually really cancellable noise, but the earphones don't really cancel and sometimes even produce crackling or other distortion sounds and break the experience of listening to music or voice.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[Before iPhone era]: Ericsson A1018s, Ericsson T-10, Ericsson T-28, Ericsson T-39, Siemens M35i, Siemens S35i, Ericsson P990i, Ericsson K800i,
[Apple]: iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 5
[WindowsPhone]: Samsung Omnia 7
[Androids]: HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S3,
[current]: iPhone 5 @iOS8, LG G3 3/32, HTC One M8 16, Xperia Z2

jezaster
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Do you turn on the NC function on the settings menu?? It's on the user manual page 42
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405831610695.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2860692

toncij
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Really? Of course I did.

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[Before iPhone era]: Ericsson A1018s, Ericsson T-10, Ericsson T-28, Ericsson T-39, Siemens M35i, Siemens S35i, Ericsson P990i, Ericsson K800i,

Haldi4803
Old
Thanks Meter 263
What did you expect? Silence?
Noise cancelation just reduces the surrounding noise a tiny bit.
The first time I plugged the headphones in I accidentally deactivated NC by activating Stereo Mic, and when I used the earplugs I was like "wow, nearly no outside noise" because my old ones let nearly everything trough.
Then when I first activated NC in the settings I couldnt find a big difference, I think the most effective is in a train with lots of people talking. There it seems to work kinda well.

SkyS1gn
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by toncij View Post
I'm using those earphones but can't make them actually noise cancel anything really.
I've tried using them near a fan, engine, centrifuge, window, air - conditioner, anything with really stable and usually really cancellable noise, but the earphones don't really cancel and sometimes even produce crackling or other distortion sounds and break the experience of listening to music or voice.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
It worked really well with paper smashing next to me for a test or sitting on a bus... i was impressed how effective it was.

But im using Xears earphones, the NC headset sound quality its very poor.

toncij
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
These are good at blocking because of quality earpiece, but NC part is far from NC headphones I've tried from other manufacturer, can't remember which one atm. There, I didn't hear any of repetitive noise I've tested these with.
I had high hopes that I'll at least be able to not hear ventilation shaft noise and other office noises that perfectly fit NC usage (constant, regular, repetitive...)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by toncij View Post
These are good at blocking because of quality earpiece, but NC part is far from NC headphones I've tried from other manufacturer, can't remember which one atm. There, I didn't hear any of repetitive noise I've tested these with.
I had high hopes that I'll at least be able to not hear ventilation shaft noise and other office noises that perfectly fit NC usage (constant, regular, repetitive...)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
What matters is not how repetitive the noise is, but what frequencies it covers. Most active noise cancelation even in high-end headphones like Sennheiser covers a pretty narrow frequency range.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.