Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Anyone else running official QC 2.0 chargers?

OP The Driv3r

26th October 2014, 08:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

44 posts
I just picked up a certified Quickcharge 2.0 from puregear (Very nice charger). Problem is it still only pulls 1.25 amps an 6v (I charged it at 70%). Will it pull more at a lower percentage? Such as a full drain?
28th October 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 373

1,482 posts
More
How did you meassure that ?

and

How long does it take to charge from 0% to 100 % ?
30th October 2014, 06:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldi4803

How did you meassure that ?

and

How long does it take to charge from 0% to 100 % ?

Used an Abovetec USB power meter. Took readings over 3 different high speed cords and both USB an Mag Charger. I don't have a zero to 100 time yet. I'm actually doing that today. I have got a periods of 1% increases in under 45 seconds.
30th October 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 255

685 posts
Is it an in-line meter? The meter may be preventing the quick charge. Quick charge uses higher voltages (9v, 12v)
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th October 2014, 10:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1000

Is it an in-line meter? The meter may be preventing the quick charge. Quick charge uses higher voltages (9v, 12v)

This is the one I'm using. I'm not sure.

http://www.amazon.com/AboveTEK%C2%AE...CP4J092439J83V
30th October 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #6  

685 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driv3r

This is the one I'm using. I'm not sure.

http://www.amazon.com/AboveTEK%C2%AE...CP4J092439J83V

Yeah quick charge 2.0 uses 9v so outside of what that meter is capable. Not sure how it would affect it though.
30th October 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:

Yeah quick charge 2.0 uses 9v so outside of what that meter is capable. Not sure how it would affect it though.

Yea, it definitely limits it. When I ran the stock charger on the mag port vs my Z2 tablet with the Puregear QC it was no contest. My tablet charged faster than the phone. It's strange though, I've noticed two things.

1. The Mag port only works with certain USB's when paired with the QC.
2. The charging is progressive. The charge isn't instant, walk away an give it 4-5 mins an then it begins to seriously charge fast.

My Current setup.

QC 2.0 ~ http://www.pure-gear.com/shop-by-cat...l-charger.html

NOTE: THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH THE STOCK MAGNETIC CHARGER
USB ~ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...BZZRRZRVD7JBKC

This one I found does... That said it's doesn't charge "quite as fast" maybe a 5-10% difference. + I like the look an feel of the Pawtec, it's very solid.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Following User Says Thank You to The Driv3r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th October 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #8  

685 posts
So it can quick charge through the magnetic port?? Your observation about it taking a little while makes sense, I've read that it starts off at the standard 5v 1A, then kicks into the higher voltages if both devices negotiate properly.
30th October 2014, 11:55 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

44 posts
Quote:

So it can quick charge through the magnetic port?? Your observation about it taking a little while makes sense, I've read that it starts off at the standard 5v 1A, then kicks into the higher voltages if both devices negotiate properly.

You can but I don't think it charges as fast. That said I use that setup for night charging, as we all should. I think it's very important to use the mag port when time isn't essential in order to preserve the ports.

Also note, when I ran the puregear with the pawtec from zero (I ran the battery out 100% till death). It would not charge/register? I have no clue why but I suspect it's something with the charger registering something. Anyways as soon I charged it enough to turn it on with the stock charger, I then switched back to the QC and ran perfect.

Btw ~ The puregear and the motorola turbo charger are the same price, free shipping just tax for both. The puregear is super small unlike the turbo charger, it definitely looks cool as hell, especially with the pawtec.
Last edited by The Driv3r; 30th October 2014 at 11:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Driv3r For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2014, 12:58 AM   |  #10  

685 posts
Fantastic, thanks for all the info! I agree, I always use the mag port, I can count in single digits the times that I opened the flaps on my Z2 and my Z3 will be the same.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread