[KERNEL][CM11/CM12.1 (based)][Z2][GPU+CPU OC][5.1.1/4.4]M5 Kernel

Search This thread

furrypotato

Oct 18, 2007
Port Talbot
Seen this ?
Sony developing kernel for both stock and aosp for Z2. Good news I would imagine ?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2897988
Unified kernel for msm8974 devices

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Seen this ?
Sony developing kernel for both stock and aosp for Z2. Good news I would imagine ?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2897988
Unified kernel for msm8974 devices

Hoooooolly **** !! How awesome is THAT ??!?!?!! Gonna look into this, sounds really promising. I doubt that this will help us at any point tho as the Z2 has it's own defconfig -> If I build A kernel it will only boot on the Z2. This is because for example the Z2 and the Z1 have different Touchscreens (Just an example) so they compile different drivers for this. Worth looking at it tho :)

BTW: I just got a PM from the master of the recoverys :p Looking forward to come up with some nice stuff in the text time. (Not ONLY talking about recoverys)

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
I'm in contact with @[NUT], he says it is doable and he also already looked forward to implement it in the near future BUT he is really busy in his reallife, which makes working at XZDR really hard for him ATM.

HOWEVER, I made some other sweet archievents. D2W is partitially working. I CAN turn the phone on. However, to archieve this we used some nasty hacks (Currently this was just to understand how it works, the real work is coming now, where we need to implement a real on/off switch). This makes the battery draining kinda fast because we just replaced a line which keeps the touch on, but also some other things so now the phone is not really sleeping well anymore. But I'd say we are close to it.

At this point I really want to thank my friend @sreinst1, without him I would not have been able to do this. YOU ROCK BRO :p

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
All Right. Here are some nice news. M5 Kernel is now supported in Kernel Manager (http://www.xda-developers.com/android/kernel-manager-downloader/). Next thing is the D2W is working even better so I decided to put a test build on androidfilehost. It features a On/Off switch and you can also find a Tasker task to put it on and off. However this does not persist a reboot yet, which is why it is still in test phase, the batterylife is perfect now. Also this version is compiled using sabermod 4.10 now. All right 4.10 is not booting, uploading a 4.9 version now.
EDIT: It's up.

In case you want to manually turn it on and off just execute these programs:
On
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/f9964000.i2c/i2c-8/8-0048/d2w_enable
Off
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/f9964000.i2c/i2c-8/8-0048/d2w_enable

You should propably execute this as su.

Last edited:

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Test kernel is great, had d2w activated all day and my battery life was not affected.

Thats because other than the D2W custom kernels for other devices, we use the stock D2W (which is used on stock too) and just modified it to be triggered by sysfs values. We still need to implement a way to keep the value after a reboot too. On the version I am on ATM the path and the name is already changed so it can be enabled using apps like KControl (which also has a Set on Boot option). Today I will invest some time into figuring out why OverClock to 2.8GHz is not working, just until 2.5 GHz (I already have a idea what could cause it).

Sent from my Xperia Z2 using Tapatalk

zantekk

Jan 25, 2010
Cologne
zantekk.de
All Right. Here are some nice news. M5 Kernel is now supported in Kernel Manager (http://www.xda-developers.com/android/kernel-manager-downloader/). Next thing is the D2W is working even better so I decided to put a test build on androidfilehost. It features a On/Off switch and you can also find a Tasker task to put it on and off. However this does not persist a reboot yet, which is why it is still in test phase, the batterylife is perfect now. Also this version is compiled using sabermod 4.10 now. All right 4.10 is not booting, uploading a 4.9 version now.
EDIT: It's up.

In case you want to manually turn it on and off just execute these programs:
On
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/f9964000.i2c/i2c-8/8-0048/d2w_enable
Off
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/f9964000.i2c/i2c-8/8-0048/d2w_enable

You should propably execute this as su.

Works like a charm, thx ;)

Mr.R™

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 8 Pro
Sony Xperia 5 II
Still no luck with the gpu voltages and doom kernel updates like the new intellithermal etc then dude? I'm more bothered about battery saving features than d2w although I now use my phone a lot on my bike so it's also good to hear your making progress with d2w :)

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
From 29 to 3010 builds of CyanogenMod latest M5 Kernel 4.5 breaks video. Thought it was the ROM but turns out it's kernels fault. Just a heads up...

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
Still no luck with the gpu voltages and doom kernel updates like the new intellithermal etc then dude? I'm more bothered about battery saving features than d2w although I now use my phone a lot on my bike so it's also good to hear your making progress with d2w :)

Seems like I forgot to bring the Doom Updates in. Gonna do this ASAP. Still beiing focused on D2W so no time for GPU UV yet.

From 29 to 3010 builds of CyanogenMod latest M5 Kernel 4.5 breaks video. Thought it was the ROM but turns out it's kernels fault. Just a heads up...

Is it the sound which is broken ? And which video you talk about ? In the Internet or like in Gallery where you watch a video ? If it is sound I might know why. Gonna look into this too.

Just looked in this thread to announce that V5 will come soon, but this will be a bit delayed now that I still have some stuff to do :p

Reb0rn

Sep 19, 2007
Sweden
Yeah actually it's all video playback. Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, you name it. Plays the 2 first seconds then crash. And it seems that the kernel doesn't drop on the cores. Always running 2 cores out of four. Not sure that the latter statement is totally accurate but video surely is.

erbse

Sep 1, 2008
Yeah actually it's all video playback. Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, you name it. Plays the 2 first seconds then crash. And it seems that the kernel doesn't drop on the cores. Always running 2 cores out of four. Not sure that the latter statement is totally accurate but video surely is.

here the same behaviour but I use aicp rom. could you please update your kernel?

regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Banner.png

I am NOT resposible for any damage done to your device, your neighbor, or any other things you like/hate.

Introduction:

This is my first kernel for any Android device. I created it because I want to get the best out of my device. It initially started with some optimizations regarding SaberMod 4.9 compatibility but I tought why not optimize it even more.

About:

This Kernel is based on the official CM12 kernel, therefore it should work with any Rom using the stock CM kernel too (Like Carbon and Liquid). I run it together with Carbon here, all tests I do will also be done using Carbon. The Kernels features will get more with time ;)

Features and Commit History:

Check 2nd Post!

Installation Instruction:

THIS DOES ONLY WORK ON UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER!

When you're on CM/a CM based Rom:
    Flash the zip file in recovery

When coming from Stock:
    Flash the boot.img included in your ROMs zip file using fastboot. Flash a CM based Rom then and flash the Kernel zip file again as the Rom overrides the Kernel.

Download:

M5 Kernel (Release Versions)
    https://dl.myself5.de

M5 Kernel (Test Versions)
    https://testing.myself5.de

M5 Settings
    https://dl.myself5.de

Recovery
    http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z2/development/twrp-recovery-collection-t2999078

Thanks/Credits:
    • DooMLoRD (and therefore all guys he thanked listed below) - for a lot of Commits
    • FreeXperia Team (especially Jerpelea) - for too many things!
    • Kali- - to help get the correct dtbTool parameters for a bootable kernel
    • Faux123 - for lots of patches, you rock dude!
    • koush & all CyanogenMod maintainers - for too many things!
    • Dees_Troy & TeamWin - for their excellent work on TWRP Touch Recovery
    • Phil3759 - for his excellent work on PhilZ Touch Recovery
    • myfluxi - for a lot of great patches
    • flar2 - for a lot of great patches
    • dbolivar- toolchain fixes
    • FranciscoFranco - for Cortex-A15 optimizations, bunch of other things!
    • CarbonRom Team - for too many things!
    • vishal-android-freak - for too many things!
    • phaseburn - for being a good friend and helping me with almost everything :) !
    • sreinst1 - for too many things!
    • infected_ - for help with SM!
    • pec0ra - for fast_hotplug
    • AndroPlus - for too many things!
    • sparksco - for the SaberMod Toolchain
    • YoshiShaPow and Frap129 - for SaberNaro Toolchain
    • Team AOSPAL - for the Kernel Optimizations
    • My Big Brother Eric - for helping me keeping focused on Development!
    • My friends Silas and Max - for letting me use their servers and being awesome!
    If I forgot you, please tell me.

If you think I deserve a donation, I won't stop you :p

Thanks a lot to those who have donated!

XDA:DevDB Information
    M5 Kernel, Kernel for the Sony Xperia Z2

Contributors
    Myself5, Eyenseo
    Source Code: https://github.com/Myself5/android_kernel_sony_msm8974/tree/cm-12.1

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2014-08-26
    Last Updated 2016-07-01
    V6

Alright guys. It's time for a new release again :)
    Changelog as always in the second post. Not that much but as it is a initial device bringup I decided to push the version to V6.
    Happy Flashing!
    Changelog

Latest Version: V11.2

Changelog:

Version 1:
    • Initial Z2 Release
    • Introduce Optimized Buildflags in order to build with SaberMod 4.9
    • Add Intelliplug
    • Add Fastcharge
    • Add new CPU Govs: wheatley, Smartassv2 LionHeart, Lagfree, Intelliactive
    • Add new I/O Sheduler BFQ, fiops, SIO
    • Add Faux123 Sound Control
    • GPU OC to 657MHz, Idle on 27MHz and add 100MHz Step

Version 1.2
    • Fix D2W
    • Add fast_hotplug CPU Hoplug

Version 2:
    • Implement kexec-hardboot -> this allows the usage of MultiROM
    • CPU OC over 2.9 GHz -> We now can OC up to 3.03GHz

Version 3:
    • Add CPU Govs Intellidemand, smartassH3 and adaptive
    • Add IO Sheds VR, ZEN, SIO-Plus and tripndroid
    • Add Custom Logo
    • Fix simple ondemand GPU Gov and add conservative

Version 4:
    • Add 268MHz CPU Step -> CPU can now idle on lower CPU freq and save battery
    • Add Alucard Hotplug and CPU Gov
    • Add ElementalX Gov
    • Revert OC Ability to 3GHz -> 3GHz was just not stable
    • Add KCAL support
    • Add F2FS Support
    • Initial Z3 Bringup

Version 5:
    • Add Bricked Hotplug
    • Add new CPU Govs Alucard, HYPER, OndemandPlus, Nightmare, Darkness, PegasusQ, Smartmax
    • Remove F2FS Support again -> Seems not to be very stable

Version 5.1:
    • Revert Custom Bootsplash -> together with the new Display Drivers it made the device not to boot anymore :(
    Version 6:
    • Fix for Z3* Touch in MultiROM -> updated Clearpad Touch Driver
    • Initial Z3 Compact bringup

Version 7:
    • Add slim and zzmoove CPU Gov
    • Initial Z1 Compact bringup by @oshmoun
    • Enable F2FS Again
    • Update Alucard, Darkness and Nightmare Govs
    • Update BFQ I/O Shed
    • Update Alucard Hotplug
    • Rebase IntelliPlug to faux123's latest Version

Version 8:
    • Fixed F2FS, thanks to @Hazou
    • Finally implement Intelli_Termal V2, thanks to @someone755 and @oshmoun
    • Updated alcurd, nightmare, darkness

Version 9:
    • Initial Z1 bringup by @oshmoun and @Langes
    • Kernel Zip is now based off AnyKernel2 by @osm0sis, this allows the installation on every Rom using CM Kernel, even if it has a different Ramdisk than CM, like Mokee and Slim

Version 10:
    • Initial Bringup for Sony Xperia Tab Z2 (LTE and Wifi) thanks to @rcstar6696
    • Fix Kernel install issues with AnyKernel2
    • Display Kernel Version in Settings (Change Localversion from M5-Kernel to M5-Kernel-*VERSION*
    • Add Adreno_idler
    • Update zzmoove to Version 1 Beta 8
    • Fix a bunch of Display issues (like Black lines) on Z1C
    • Add mac80211 injection patch and HID patch for keyboard support

Version 10.2:
    • Fix Soft Reboots on rhine devices
    • Add Oneshot Sync
    • Tweak kgsl
    • Fix loading of LZMA Compressed Recoverys

Version 11:
    • Probably the last 3.4 M5 Kernel release, we will start working on M5 Kernel based on the Sony 3.10 AOSP Kernel soon.
    • Merge CM Upstream (Includes merge of Sony 23.4.A.1.200/23.4.A.4.6)
    • Fix static noise on high-end headphones
    • Various zRAM fixes and improvements
    • Merge of Linux Kernel upstream to get the kernel base to 3.4.111 (latest 3.4 Kernel available)
    • @tomascus rules.

Version 11.1:
    • Fix sound again by reverting the previous sound fixes

Version 11.2:
    • Recompile Kernel because thanks to the Server failure we lost some of the V11.1 builds.

All Versions since V4:

All Version included the newest CM Upstream Changes from the Day they got compiled. Version which are not mentioned explicitly did only include a CM Upstream update.

For a detailed Changelog, check the Github Commit history:

KitKat
    https://github.com/Myself5/android_kernel_sony_msm8974pro/commits

Lollipop
    https://github.com/Myself5/android_kernel_sony_msm8974/commits
    V11 is compiling

Hey folks,

I just started the build of V11. It contains considerably most of the changes done till now, @tomascus did a very good work with that. He merged Linux Kernel upstream up to 3.4.111, which is the newest 3.4 Kernel available. We ofc also merged the CM upstream, and tomascus also merged some improvements to f2fs and zRAM. In addition to that Eyenseo fixed the static noise on highend headphones. In addition to that, I'd like to welcome Eyenseo and tomascus to the team, they will maintain the Z2 (as I sold mine recently) and tomascus, who will maintain the Z1 (we were looking for a Z1 maintainer since quite a while).

This thread is hereby reopened, and I will add Eyenseo as a Contributor so he is able to edit the OP. He will be your new Maintainer and also work on the Kernel. I'll still be around of help is needed. Have fun with Eyenseo guys :)

Furthermore, we'd like to announce that this might be the last 3.4 M5 Kernel build (unless we find some time to keep it updated for LP). The reason is: M will use the Sony AOSP trees and the 3.10 Kernel. Hence we are going to start working on a 3.10 based M5 Kernel as soon as we can, in order to be ready once M builds are released. (Which should be soon)

You can see the current build progress here: http://myself5.de:12345/job/M5Kernel All Devices/

Changelog Version 11:
    • Probably the last 3.4 M5 Kernel release, we will start working on M5 Kernel based on the Sony 3.10 AOSP Kernel soon.
    • Merge CM Upstream (Includes merge of Sony 23.4.A.1.200/23.4.A.4.6)
    • Fix static noise on high-end headphones
    • Various zRAM fixes and improvements
    • Merge of Linux Kernel upstream to get the kernel base to 3.4.111 (latest 3.4 Kernel available)
    • @tomascus rules.
    V11.2 is out

Hey Folks,

As some of you know, my Server died recently, including all the data on it. I thankfully meanwhile found a Backup from the 21st of December 2015, but that means that the V11.x builds are gone. Thanks to the community, we got some of the newer builds back, however not all of them (some devices miss V11.1-Permissive for example), which is why I decided to start a new (11.2) build after finish to setup my server. That is now. I also updated the changelog for 11.2, stating it is what it is. A rebuild of 11.1.

Thanks for your patience and lot for the builds you guys had uploaded during the Server downtimes.

Regards,