Thanks Meter: 281

551 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data

Does the amount Mhz per frequency step make a huge difference at all

Aka

144mhz (current) vs 36mhz steps, does it affect battery life and performance at all?

More steps = higher battery usage
The Following User Says Thank You to zantekk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 02:08 AM   |  #192  
Thanks Meter: 352

1,436 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data

Does the amount Mhz per frequency step make a huge difference at all

Aka

144mhz (current) vs 36mhz steps, does it affect battery life and performance at all?

Depends on your governor. On some you can choose which frequency step you want, on others it's pre defined.
i.e when you use ondemand or conservative the Clock will only go to the next step when the up_treshold CPU load is reached. But it will only go up one step per sampling rate! So instead of 144mhz up it will only go 36 mhz up. meaning it will take 4 times as long.
I think sampling rate was 10ms ? so it would take you 40ms instead!
Meaning from 1190mhz (Jup, here it is again touch boost ****ing everything up!) to 2265mhz would not take 8steps but 30 steps. so instead of 80ms to go fully up you would need 300ms which might cause lag.
this should not create any more workload as the governor is working the same way as before with the same sampling rate. you might get higher battery drain (but i don't think i'd be noticeable) due to CPU being longer on lower frequency AKA not having as much power as possible. Or the fact that you need to change the Core Voltage with every step (though i'm not sure if the kernel is sending a command to the VRM if the Voltage did not change.... or just keeps quiet ) but i doubt that would be much.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantekk

More steps = higher battery usage

I'd love to hear why.
Last edited by Haldi4803; Yesterday at 02:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldi4803 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 08:03 AM   |  #193  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 281

551 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldi4803

Depends on your governor. On some you can choose which frequency step you want, on others it's pre defined.
i.e when you use ondemand or conservative the Clock will only go to the next step when the up_treshold CPU load is reached. But it will only go up one step per sampling rate! So instead of 144mhz up it will only go 36 mhz up. meaning it will take 4 times as long.
I think sampling rate was 10ms ? so it would take you 40ms instead!
Meaning from 1190mhz (Jup, here it is again touch boost ****ing everything up!) to 2265mhz would not take 8steps but 30 steps. so instead of 80ms to go fully up you would need 300ms which might cause lag.
this should not create any more workload as the governor is working the same way as before with the same sampling rate. you might get higher battery drain (but i don't think i'd be noticeable) due to CPU being longer on lower frequency AKA not having as much power as possible. Or the fact that you need to change the Core Voltage with every step (though i'm not sure if the kernel is sending a command to the VRM if the Voltage did not change.... or just keeps quiet ) but i doubt that would be much.

Edit:

I'd love to hear why.

Because the more steps exist the more the governor has to do, it switches freqs the whole time. On the s3 we had a kernel which tried the same and it resulted in higher battery usage. The same applies to very low freqs like 80, 120 and so on. They are so low that the gov will ramp up and down the whole time to do small tasks , especially in standby.

These are just experiences which many ppl did over time [emoji6]
The Following User Says Thank You to zantekk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread