Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,408 Members 52,913 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

cracked screen

Tip us?

kylecummins
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default cracked screen

Had my z2 for a bit over a month, bought it second hand from a guy who bought it in may.

Today I go golfing and about 30 minutes into my round I reach into my Pocket and pull out a cracked screen.

I thought at first it was just maybe my nilken glassbut after removing it the crack was actually in my screen, as usual I made sure nothing else was in my pocket with my phone, I've since read this is a reoccuring issue with z1,z2 etc.

I ended up buying a new phone as the screen was completely useless.. Hoping Sony will repair the old phone so I can recoup some costs for the new one.

Just figured I'd share

blyndfyre
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecummins View Post
Had my z2 for a bit over a month, bought it second hand from a guy who bought it in may.

Today I go golfing and about 30 minutes into my round I reach into my Pocket and pull out a cracked screen.

I thought at first it was just maybe my nilken glassbut after removing it the crack was actually in my screen, as usual I made sure nothing else was in my pocket with my phone, I've since read this is a reoccuring issue with z1,z2 etc.

I ended up buying a new phone as the screen was completely useless.. Hoping Sony will repair the old phone so I can recoup some costs for the new one.

Just figured I'd share
So sorry to hear about your phone! Hope you golfed a good round at least, although doubtful after acquiring the stress of a destroyed display on a $700 phone!
[PHONE] Sony Xperia Z2 [ROM] Stock [KERNEL] Stock
[TABLET] Nexus 7 [ROM] CM11 M9 [KERNEL] CM Stock

kylecummins
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyndfyre View Post
So sorry to hear about your phone! Hope you golfed a good round at least, although doubtful after acquiring the stress of a destroyed display on a $700 phone!
Lol I played brutal of course!
The Following User Says Thank You to kylecummins For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kylecummins
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I just received an email from Sony's 3rd party repair centre asking for 189.xx + tax to repair my device, claiming physical damage.

I put a call into Sony Xperia support and spoke to a floor supervisor who was somewhat helpful and is going to try to get me more info.

So pissedoffcustomer right now

paysen
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecummins View Post
I just received an email from Sony's 3rd party repair centre asking for 189.xx + tax to repair my device, claiming physical damage.

I put a call into Sony Xperia support and spoke to a floor supervisor who was somewhat helpful and is going to try to get me more info.

So pissedoffcustomer right now
Tell us what they can do for you. That really shouldn't happen. I am so close to buying the z3 after the announcement on the 3rd of september... But when I hear things like this... you know... I don't want a cracked screen without even doing sth wrong.

qbic2
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Another self cracked glass (back).

http://overlay.no-ip.org/sony/DSCF7172.thumb.jpg

14w17

I will send it to service and report back... unlocked bootloader but EU law protects me.

TimmyRaa
Old
Thanks Meter 19
This exact same thing happened to me. I couldn't even be bothered with Sony customer services, I knew what they'd say, so I just claimed on my phone insurance and took the 75 excess hit.

cybershock
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Mine was cracked the same, put it into my pocket and after 1 min. I pulled out a cracked touch digitizer, the lcd panel was ok.

I think the cracked glass contrary to the working lcd for most people clarifies the issue.

GiGi.
Old
Thanks Meter 70
I had this same problem yesterday. I was watching a movie through MHL, turned on my alarm and got to sleep. Next morning screen would not register input, reboot still nothing, then i noticed something in corner of screen, a crack! I am 100% certain that i did not drop the phone or anything, it was just laying on its own pillow next to my head while i was sleeping. Returned it to sony, lets see what their service is like.