[4.4.4] Create ROOTED update package from stock FTF [LOCKED BOOTLOADER]

OP norti

8th November 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 255

689 posts
More
With the latest 4.4.4 firmware not directly rootable you need to download or create an update package with root and recovery and update your system via recovery. This won't delete your data and root will be there on 4.4.4. I made this complete tutorial so that everyone can make an update from an FTF file. If Chainfire figures out the full root for final Android L than this tutorial will be also good for the Xperia Z2's 5.0 update too (hopefully).

This is for Windows only.

MAKE A BACKUP !!!

1.1 You need obviously an already rooted phone with [NUT]'s Dual Recovery with a previous firmware version (4.4.2)
If you don't have the recovery, you can install it only on version 4.4.2 from here: [Z2][TWRP][PhilZ Touch][CWM] XZDualRecovery Q&A see post #2 for instructions. Do not use this recovery for 4.4.4 because root won't work! Use the patched version below.
1.2 You need Flashtool with working USB drivers (Make sure flashmode works - which means the drivers are properly installed on your system - before you start with this tutorial).

2. Download the new FTF update file for your phone/branding. Use the same customization version (xxxx-xxxx) that is on your phone now!
This you can do with Flashtool (Devices/Check Updates menu) or download it from the [FTF] STOCK FIRMWARES for Xperia Z2/Z2a (D65x3/D6502/SO-03F) thread.
(Alternative option for advanced users: XperiFirm -> you can create an FTF from the downloaded firmware files with Flashtool.)

3.1 Download PRFCreator v0.5.zip from [TOOL] PRFCreator - easily create pre-rooted firmwares. (DO NOT USE v0.6! IT DOES NOT WORK!) v0.7 may work though, I couldn' test it. But you are always safe with v0.5.
3.2 Download latest stable SuperSU update package from here. (Advanced users can try the the latest BETA SuperSU package from this thread Read the changelogs and the beta thread carefully, you may get into bootloop with latest versions)
3.3 Until [NUT] fixes the rickiller installer script, download XZDualRecovery's latest patched flashable version from here or from the attachment. You have 4 files so far:
Quote:

D6503_23.0.1.A.0.167_Telekom_HU.ftf (with different name)
PRFCreator v0.5.zip
UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip or BETA-SuperSU-v2.xx.zip
Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.7.xxx-BETA.flashable_patched.zip

4. Unzip PRFCreator and run it.

5. Load the FTF, SuperSU and XZDualRecovery (flashable!) zip files into the three section.

6. Uncheck all the Include options [ ], we don't need them, we will flash them with Flashtool after the update. I think it's still safer to flash kernel, baseband, boot and other system critical parts of the firmware from Flashtool.
(But if you want to include them anyway then you can skip part 11 and start your phone normally.)

7. Push Create. After it's finished (wait for the Create button to be available again), you'll find a flashable.zip in the folder of PRFCreator.

8. Copy flashable.zip to the internal/external SD card of your phone.

9. Boot your phone into recovery (TWRP recommended).

10. Install flashable.zip in recovery. After finished DO NOT REBOOT !!! Clear Cache/Dalvik only and go back to Home and choose Reboot/Power off.

11. Start Flashtool and with the Flash device icon flash the kernel and other baseband files from the FTF in Flashmode.

Use the following configuration (or similar):

Wipe:
Code:
[ ] APPSLOG
[ ] CACHE
[ ] DATA
Which means nothing is wiped, this is good for a system update only, that reserves your settings, applications and data. (If you want a clean system, you can wipe all the three.)

Exclude:
Code:
[ ] BOOTBUNDLE
[x] PARTITION
[x] TA
[ ] KERNEL
[ ] FOTA
[ ] BASEBAND
[x] SYSTEM
[ ] ELABEL
Which means system, partition and ta options are unchanged and won't be wiped/overwritten. You can exclude fota, elabel and baseband too, but some phone functions may be limited. Always use your phone's original customization version when choosing FTFs. Never exclude kernel. It is the main reason we're flashing this.

Code:
[x] No final verification
[ ] Reset customization
Connect the micro USB to your phone and get ready with the other end of the cable in your hand
Push Flash button.
Push the Volume down button and connect the USB cable to the computer's USB port. Wait until Flashtool begins with the flashing and you can release the Volume button now.
When finished, unplug the the phone, start it and wait until it completes the first boot. After it is fully working, check SuperSU and if you can mount system R/W too.

ENJOY another rooted version of Android I can give support only for this process, for the tools you need to ask your questions in the appropriate threads above.

Thanks to @zxz0O0 for creating the PRFCreator, it makes things easier in this process (you don't need to mess with linux mounts, virtual machines and other scripts copying system images and recovery updates to a zip).
Last edited by norti; 20th November 2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added patched recovery installer
The Following 64 Users Say Thank You to norti For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #2  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 135

363 posts
hi
I look forward to your work to prove it

8th November 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,389

908 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice guide. Please let me know the bugs in PRFCreator v0.6 (you can drop me a pm as I don't have a lot of time for xda at the moment). Also, is step 12 really necessary? Dualrecovery should already be included in the flashable zip (same for step 11 if you include those files).
8th November 2014, 06:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

100 posts
Will downgrading 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 without wiping data cause a bootloop?
8th November 2014, 06:32 PM   |  #5  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 95

363 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdo

Will downgrading 4.4.4 to 4.4.2 without wiping data cause a bootloop?

Yes. At least that's what i'm getting. And i'm currently stuck because my last TiBu backup is months old :/ bummer...
8th November 2014, 06:36 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Budapest

689 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxz0O0

Nice guide. Please let me know the bugs in PRFCreator v0.6 (you can drop me a pm as I don't have a lot of time for xda at the moment). Also, is step 12 really necessary? Dualrecovery should already be included in the flashable zip (same for step 11 if you include those files).

I didn't use the v0.6 because more people complained in the tool's thread about it. V0.5 is working, I can test v0.6 later (maybe tomorrow).
Dualrecovery is included with the flashable.zip but the RIC killer isn't working in that version, it needs to be installed again with the PC installer. Maybe someone (I mean @[NUT] ) could clean up the process
Last edited by norti; 8th November 2014 at 06:46 PM.
8th November 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
More
Thx! This is really useful for noobs like me!
8th November 2014, 06:52 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 7

54 posts
More
Hi zxz0O0, the updater script is looking for 3 files in /utils but when the zip is created on 0.6 those files remain in the root of the zip so you get error when flashing. i think that's the problem with 0.6 but i can be wrong as i didn't test it
The Following User Says Thank You to ptmaniac For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th November 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by norti

I didn't use the v0.6 because more people complained in the tool' thread about it. V0.5 is working, I can test v0.6 later (maybe tomorrow).
Dualrecovery is included with the flashable.zip but the RIC killer isn't working in that version, it needs to be installed again with the PC installer. Maybe someone (I mean @[NUT] ) could clean up the process

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=130
It may be an alternative for Step 12 to modify the flashable dualrecovery .zip file as the post of the link above, I think.
8th November 2014, 07:06 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Budapest

689 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmaniac

Hi zxz0O0, the updater script is looking for 3 files in /utils but when the zip is created on 0.6 those files remain in the root of the zip so you get error when flashing. i think that's the problem with 0.6 but i can be wrong as i didn't test it

Please use his thread for error reporting, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningyou Higeki

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=130
It may be an alternative for Step 12 to modify the flashable dualrecovery .zip file as the post of the link above, I think.

I don't want to change [NUT]'s recovery installers (everyone can edit scripts if wants), this may be a longer process but more user friendly.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread