Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New to Sony phones!

Tip us?

crzykiller
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Default New to Sony phones!

Hello everyone!

I left my beloved LG G2 (Damn good phone) 2 days ago to get the amazing Z2. All I gotta say is I'm already lovin this thing.
One thing i don't understand is the bootloader locking/unlocking. I got myself a Z2 from bell so the bootloader is not unlockable which means for some reason i can't install custom kernels and what not. However the G2's bootloader is also locked and flashing kernels was no problem.
The thing with the G2 is that we had an exploit called loki which many phones with locked bootloaders used (Galaxy S4, S5, LG G2, G pro 2, etc) and it allows us to install custom kernels and all that. Has anyone ever tried the loki exploit or is it completely different with Sony phones?

blackalice
Old
Thanks Meter 53
It's different - head to the development section

It's super easy, so don't worry
O2 XM>Motorola E680i>T-Mobile Pulse (Sold) >Orange San Francisco (Died) >HTC HD2 (Died) > Motorola Atrix 4G (Turns on, but is super unstable)>Orange San Diego (Sold)> HTC One X (Tegra Version) (Sold)> Nexus 5 32GB Black (Sold) >Sony Xperia Z2 Black

The Following User Says Thank You to blackalice For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crzykiller
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackalice View Post
It's different - head to the development section

It's super easy, so don't worry
Ya rooting is easy lol, I already have it rooted and have a custom recovery. I'm just at loss as why we can't install a custom kernel on a locked bootloader. Especially since i can't on my phone

vipaman
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
Okay so basically it isnt as easy as you think it is. Sony makes it software a bit different than LG. Unlocking your bootloader is something most phones have to go through as far as I have seen. Plus the dev community here is a small one so it will take time but I doubt there is any other exploit or than just unlocking your bootloader.
Follow me on Twitter
If I Have Helped you in anyway....Hit The Thanks Button.

crzykiller
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipaman View Post
Okay so basically it isnt as easy as you think it is. Sony makes it software a bit different than LG. Unlocking your bootloader is something most phones have to go through as far as I have seen. Plus the dev community here is a small one so it will take time but I doubt there is any other exploit or than just unlocking your bootloader.
Alright! thanks, hopefully soon i can get that Doomkernel on my Z2

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2302
I just wouldn't have my hopes too high. The last time they managed to Crack the bootloader of an Xperia device was with the 2010 line, maybe 2011. Since then, no device that said their bootloader couldn't be unlocked, had it unlocked.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

vipaman
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
U do realize u can unlock the boot loader of the device like right now. Without much effort. Ummmmm Rule one of XDA Read around mate

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
Follow me on Twitter

Felimenta97
Old
Thanks Meter 2302
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipaman View Post
U do realize u can unlock the boot loader of the device like right now. Without much effort. Ummmmm Rule one of XDA Read around mate

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
He has a phone which he can't unlock the bootloader...

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

V4LKyR
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm avoiding this "bootloader" thing just because of the sony technologies comes embedded with the phone. Like X-Reality or ClearAudio+ or something else. I don't wanna lose them.

Other than that... why wouldn't I want to get an awesome kernel on my device, such as DooMKernel?

vipaman
Old
Thanks Meter 94

DONATE TO ME
I have unlocked my bootloader and sure enough I haven't lost X-Reality or ClearAudio+ both of them still exist and still work. I even have installed Doomkernel so yeah
Follow me on Twitter