Camera Fault, Haze + Creaking

10th May 2014, 07:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

106 posts
I'm not sure whether any other people have had this but it seems like there could be a fault with some of the camera on some devices (or just mine?).

I preordered and received my z2 on the 22nd april, my sister just bought one today and I was comparing the two - it definitely seems like the new one captures photos far better where sunlight is concerned, it looks like there's an area of haze/overexposure on my one - I've attached photos to illustrate.

The ones with the i's on the end of the file name are with my z2, the ones without are with the new one - both were taken with superior auto from almost exactly the same position and at the same time with exactly the same settings and both on the same firmware.

Also does anyone else's device creak when you push a little on the back just above the sony logo?

I've had the creaking from day one and hasn't affected the waterproofing or anything so I was just going to live with it, but now I've noticed the camera thing I'm going to try and get an exchange.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	2736470   Click image for larger version

Name:	1i.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	2736471   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	2736472   Click image for larger version

Name:	2i.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	2736473   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	2736475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3i.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	2736476  
10th May 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #2  
Flag Turku, Finland
Thanks Meter: 15

78 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven

I'm not sure whether any other people have had this but it seems like there could be a fault with some of the camera on some devices (or just mine?).

I preordered and received my z2 on the 22nd april, my sister just bought one today and I was comparing the two - it definitely seems like the new one captures photos far better where sunlight is concerned, it looks like there's an area of haze/overexposure on my one - I've attached photos to illustrate.

The ones with the i's on the end of the file name are with my z2, the ones without are with the new one - both were taken with superior auto from almost exactly the same position and at the same time with exactly the same settings and both on the same firmware.

Also does anyone else's device creak when you push a little on the back just above the sony logo?

I've had the creaking from day one and hasn't affected the waterproofing or anything so I was just going to live with it, but now I've noticed the camera thing I'm going to try and get an exchange.

This is a dumb question but are you sure your lens isn't smudged?
10th May 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocooper

This is a dumb question but are you sure your lens isn't smudged?

I was hoping it was something trivial as that but unfortunately not, I made sure the lens the clean - used a microfibre cloth etc even checked the lens for scratches and it's clean. I had a screen protector on the back and took that off to make sure it wasn't somehow distorting the light into the lens but it didn't make a difference.

May I ask whether you have any creaking on your device?
10th May 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #4  
Flag Turku, Finland
Thanks Meter: 15

78 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daven

I was hoping it was something trivial as that but unfortunately not, I made sure the lens the clean - used a microfibre cloth etc even checked the lens for scratches and it's clean. I had a screen protector on the back and took that off to make sure it wasn't somehow distorting the light into the lens but it didn't make a difference.

May I ask whether you have any creaking on your device?

Oh that must suck then And I don't have a Z2 yet, I'm looking to get it or the M8 in early June
10th May 2014, 09:59 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 66

389 posts
Camera is working fine for me. Although I also have the creaking when pushing at the back.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
11th May 2014, 06:39 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 31

212 posts
maybe your camera is experiencing light leakage. definitely a problem
11th May 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 20

54 posts
That's the kind of photos I got when water entered my Xperia Z.
Have you been washing it :P?
It might be moisture built up, but can't say
Why not get it replaced?

Sent from my C6602 using XDA Free mobile app
11th May 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

106 posts
It took a dunking last week lol but I can't see any moisture build up on the inside of the lens, maybe it is just light leakage. I'll just phone up for an exchange tomorrow - shame really because it had no other issues. Great phone though, looks like they've sorted out any other issues on the current batches.

Cheers for all your replies!
11th May 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 46

244 posts
More
The creaking is what makes me think your device wasn't manufactured that good. Mine is as solid as a piece of metal. The camera doesn't have the haziness either so phone it in for a replacement because it shouldn't be a big problem to get a new one.

If you could slide out the "plastic paper" beside your sd slot and see what it says it would probably point us on when your phone was manufactured - should be something like "14W1*" where * stands for the week number
11th May 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

106 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasona

The creaking is what makes me think your device wasn't manufactured that good. Mine is as solid as a piece of metal. The camera doesn't have the haziness either so phone it in for a replacement because it shouldn't be a big problem to get a new one.

If you could slide out the "plastic paper" beside your sd slot and see what it says it would probably point us on when your phone was manufactured - should be something like "14W1*" where * stands for the week number

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, my sisters z2 doesn't creak either. Mine says 14W15 so I guess that means it was one of the first batches (maybe second batch?)

Hopefully the replacement won't have any issues, I'm slightly concerned about dead pixels etc

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread