Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Can Z2 be stuck with one service provider e.g. SIM lock or bootloader not unlockable

OP imgoingtowin

20th August 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Hi everyone. I'm planning on buying Xperia Z2. I'm in Canada and the cheapest price I found is $700 at a Bell Mobility dealer. Since Bell probably wants people to buy their service, is there anything I should know for example is there a way Bell could lock it up? If I buy it outright from Bell and want to use it with Rogers, is this a problem, for example would I have to pay to get the phone unlocked? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: are there any other downsides of buying it from a carrier, for example would the boot loader not be able to be unlocked?
Last edited by imgoingtowin; 20th August 2014 at 06:33 AM.
20th August 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #2  
Envious_Data's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,447
 
3,317 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoingtowin

Hi everyone. I'm planning on buying Xperia Z2. I'm in Canada and the cheapest price I found is $700 at a Bell Mobility dealer. Since Bell probably wants people to buy their service, is there anything I should know for example is there a way Bell could lock it up? If I buy it outright from Bell and want to use it with Rogers, is this a problem, for example would I have to pay to get the phone unlocked? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: are there any other downsides of buying it from a carrier, for example would the boot loader not be able to be unlocked?

buying from a carrier almost always has downsides, %99 of the time,

downsides being non unlockable bootloader
(rare) not sim unlockable
sim locked
20th August 2014, 09:00 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious_Data

buying from a carrier almost always has downsides, %99 of the time,

downsides being non unlockable bootloader
(rare) not sim unlockable
sim locked

but is there any place I can buy from that gaurantees an unlockable bootloader?
20th August 2014, 09:37 AM   |  #4  
waynekirby's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Barnsley
Thanks Meter: 479
 
930 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
Anywhere that stocks simfree/factory unlocked Z2's.
20th August 2014, 01:29 PM   |  #5  
ghostofcain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birkenhead
Thanks Meter: 828
 
2,742 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Can you not buy through 3rd party, but still with network subsidy? In UK there are many such vendors who partner up with the network but sell what are essentially SIM free, therefore sim unlocked, phones.
20th August 2014, 02:37 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 86
 
427 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgoingtowin

but is there any place I can buy from that gaurantees an unlockable bootloader?

Buying from the Sony store is unlock-able bootloader.

Another downside to carrier supplied devices is the bloatware!
The Following User Says Thank You to blyndfyre For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes