LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Choppy Sound w/ USB DAC

OP prazvt

14th August 2014, 01:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 22

150 posts
More
Hey Guys - having some issues recently with my Z2 and USB DAC output; though frankly hi res output hasn't worked properly unless I use USB Audio Recorder app.

But usually, if I keep Hi Res Audio via USB unchecked, Pandora & Beats Music will output properly. That's been the case through .402 firmware. I have .314 installed right now and with the USB option checked or unchecked, music starts off smooth and then becomes choppy. I'm on .314 rooted with the bootloader locked (it has been unlocked in the past ... just used the locked bootloader root method the last time I upgraded the firmware).

The only mod I have installed is the dual stereo speakers for speakerphone. Any suggestions? Should I do a clean FTF install or something? Go back to .402 maybe?

Thanks,

Praz
20th August 2014, 02:31 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area

150 posts
More
UPDATE:

I did a fresh install of the US/Canada .314 firmware and then rooted via the exploit (kept the bootloader locked). Aside from USB Audio Player Pro, any other output via USB ends up in choppy audio. I dropped Sony support an e-mail and they were useless, so I'm at a loss as to what's causing the issue - the phone or something else?

Those who unlocked your bootloaders and / or rooted, and are using USB DACs w/ the Z2 - is everything working ok?

Thanks,

Praz.
20th August 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area

150 posts
More
UPDATE 2:

Did a full repair via PC Companion, only installed Spotify and tested w/ DAC. Same issue with or without USB enhancement enabled. Hmm. Running out of ideas.
21st August 2014, 03:54 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area

150 posts
More
UPDATE 3:

So after much ado, it just looks like there are some compatibility issues with the Z2 and Fiio X5 in DAC mode. I came home and connected the Z2 to my full size Schitt Gungnir DAC's USB input and everything works perfectly. Then I grabbed my HRT Microstreamer and ....it's working perfectly now too! I hadn't actually tried it for several weeks so may have been something to do with prior setup I guess.

Anyway ..tentatively, looks like I'm good mostly. X5 bad. Microstreamer good.
14th October 2014, 05:59 AM   |  #5  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 20

191 posts
More
Out of curiosity did you get any crackling noises with the microstreamer? That's what I'm experiencing now. Happens after about 4 minutes of play time.

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app
14th October 2014, 06:55 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag SF Bay Area

150 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonamafun

Out of curiosity did you get any crackling noises with the microstreamer? That's what I'm experiencing now. Happens after about 4 minutes of play time.

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app

Yes, eventually it did start crackling. Someone on head-fi explained it to me here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/720785/sony...nw-zx1-walkman

Still, I never had problems with my Note 2 or Note 3, so perhaps they're using different USB drivers. If you use USB Audio Player Pro, though, there's no crackling. It's only if you're using the native Sony Walkman app or any streaming app like Pandora / Spotify / etc.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by prazvt; 14th October 2014 at 07:00 AM.
14th October 2014, 08:45 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 9

81 posts
Hrm interesting I've been getting the same issue running cm11 based ROMs on z2, though I would describe the sound as more of a clicking.

I wonder if the native USB DAC support in android L will rectify the issue.

Sent from my Xperia Z2 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dac, otg, usb, xperia + z2
Previous Thread Next Thread