[Q] Increase 4k video bitrate for SONY z2

OP Tony72000

17th July 2014, 02:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hello everyone,

I have recently been a SONY Z2 filming mainly 4K
Even if I find pretty good video (3840x2160 @ 56,000 kb/s) I'll be really happy to see better shine the eyes of my son more detail passing 100,000 kb/s see 120,000 kb/s my 64 gb μSD tested at 15 MB/s write (exFAT).
The problem is that I do not know where to go and what to do that's why I'm asking you to enlighten me.
I can provide if needed "SemcCameraUI.apk", "SuperVideoCamera.apk", or any other file.
Thank you in advance.
I am French and I translated with google translation

Thank for all
17th July 2014, 04:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 142

789 posts
Not possible, sony does the highest 4k bitrates currently for smart phones. In fact its so high that the device tends to heat up and stop recording after a while if the ambient temperature is little over 25 degrees c. 4k recording is a beta feature because it cannot be used as long as 1080p say. The present cpu has a tough time delivering as it is.

If you want better rates then you will have to use a video camera that can deliver those rates. Or wait a couple of years for mobile cpus to catch up.
20th July 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Twelve

Not possible, sony does the highest 4k bitrates currently for smart phones. In fact its so high that the device tends to heat up and stop recording after a while if the ambient temperature is little over 25 degrees c. 4k recording is a beta feature because it cannot be used as long as 1080p say. The present cpu has a tough time delivering as it is.

If you want better rates then you will have to use a video camera that can deliver those rates. Or wait a couple of years for mobile cpus to catch up.

I did a test almost 15 minutes before break due to temperature knowing that I rarely exceed 1 minute youtu.be/vrBVmhQtmlo
I see no obstacle to this, I just ask to be referred but assistance will be more than better and will make many happy owners of Z2.
Btw I've seen on the app store play but diverted for photo (Z1) play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wedy.auto20mp&hl=en
I aquired my SONY Z2 thanks to a flash sale of my operator with discounts for the price of 89 (~ $ 100) and a camcorder for $ 2000 is not possible nor a priority.
Thanks anyway for taking the trouble to reply One Twelve
20th July 2014, 12:20 PM   |  #4  

789 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony72000

I did a test almost 15 minutes before break due to temperature knowing that I rarely exceed 1 minute youtu.be/vrBVmhQtmlo

So we can see that at a temperature of 23 degrees c, with steady shot off that around 14 minutes recording in 4k is possible. File stored on 64GB class10 ultra. Phone is in the default sony case which you remove after five minutes.

Some people have said steady shot on or off does not make any difference to heating.

The focus hunt issue is present but only happens a little. 10 seconds out of 14 minutes. of course in 14 minutes the subject is not changing and light is decent. Focus hunt happens more often in lower light and is something sony should fix.

Quote:

I see no obstacle to this, I just ask to be referred but assistance will be more than better and will make many happy owners of Z2.

Btw I've seen on the app store play but diverted for photo (Z1) play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wedy.auto20mp&hl=en

xposed mod for photos allows SA at 20MP. There is no similar mod with video to increase the detail.

So instead of higher bitrate how about longer record time ?

There is a thread here on undervolting to increase record time. See also this post. CPU usage is the culprit. These tests show that some increase in duration is possible so people are expecting sony to fix this in a future update soon, hopefully.

Interesting this is without steady shot, yet it does not seem too jerky.

Quote:

I aquired my SONY Z2 thanks to a flash sale of my operator with discounts for the price of € 89 (~ $ 100) and a camcorder for $ 2000 is not possible nor a priority.
Thanks anyway for taking the trouble to reply One Twelve

a Z2 for $100 is a good deal, i will have to pay seven times that amount.
Last edited by One Twelve; 20th July 2014 at 12:23 PM.
20th July 2014, 01:49 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:

So we can see that at a temperature of 23 degrees c, with steady shot off that around 14 minutes recording in 4k is possible. File stored on 64GB class10 ultra. Phone is in the default sony case which you remove after five minutes.

Quote:

Some people have said steady shot on or off does not make any difference to heating.

3 or 4 minutes and more

Quote:

The focus hunt issue is present but only happens a little. 10 seconds out of 14 minutes. of course in 14 minutes the subject is not changing and light is decent. Focus hunt happens more often in lower light and is something sony should fix.

We'll see if Sony fixes the problem in a future update.

Quote:

xposed mod for photos allows SA at 20MP. There is no similar mod with video to increase the detail.

That's what I'm looking for more bitrate video

Quote:

So instead of higher bitrate how about longer record time ?

More recording time would be a plus, but as my first post this is the quality that counts as soon as it is no longer in direct sunlight the picture becomes runny, I had a customized apk for my HTX one X at a bitrate @ 60 Mb / sec

Quote:

There is a thread here on undervolting to increase record time. See also this post. CPU usage is the culprit. These tests show that some increase in duration is possible so people are expecting sony to fix this in a future update soon, hopefully.

OK good thread

Quote:

Interesting this is without steady shot, yet it does not seem too jerky.

It's my dog

Quote:

a Z2 for $100 is a good deal, i will have to pay seven times that amount.

And with your operator
Last edited by Tony72000; 20th July 2014 at 03:01 PM.
20th July 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #6  

789 posts
Quote:

3 or 4 minutes and more

When i tested a demo z2 in the shop, temp was 25-28 degree c i got 2:30 of 4k with steady shot on, did not test with steady shot off.

Quote:

More recording time would be a plus, but as my first post this is the quality that counts as soon as it is no longer in direct sunlight the picture becomes runny, I had a customized apk for my HTX one X at a bitrate @ 60 Mb / sec

From here we can see the bitrates

1080p @ 17Mb/s & 4k @ 55Mb/s @156kbs audio

There is a big difference between Mbs for 1080p & 4k. Maybe its possible in the future that a mod for 1080p can do more than 17Mb/s but i doubt its possible to increase 55Mbs for 4k much more.

it would be good to get a mod for higher Mbs for 1080p @60fps as most people will use that than 4k.

Quote:

in your comment for the video you say you changed from default 20Mbs on onex to 60mbs. This is a very big jump, did you really tell the difference ?

It looks nice but macro always looks good isn't it

when you move the camera i can see the frame drop because its 30fps.

Question is if you do not move much or fast its nice but any movement then it becomes little jerky ? Maybe there is some compromise here to get smooth video with movement but at slower Mbs. If you check the gsmarena link all the phones do not go above 20Mbs. And this in 2014, two years after one x.
Last edited by One Twelve; 20th July 2014 at 04:57 PM.
20th July 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
On the HTC one X storage is on internal memory only which is very slow (SD class 2 or 4) what is really limited and lose images when capturing by against the quality is really amazing.
The advantage of SONY Z2 is the support of the μSD with a good class U1 is more than meets the problem with my HTC One X which I modified the apk
The level 5.1 accepts bitrate 300000 kbps HIGH Profile 38402160 @ 31.7 fps
Possible bitrate of h264 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

Original HTC One X bitrate vs 60 Mb/sec ul.to/nihixzld
Last edited by Tony72000; 20th July 2014 at 08:13 PM.
10th August 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Unhappy
I have not found a solution yet... No idea for find and change the video bitrate (apk, registry, other)?
Last edited by Tony72000; 10th August 2014 at 03:40 PM.
10th August 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 361

1,299 posts
Quote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2519180
Your statement is entirely wrong. Samsung cam mod here does allowed to change 4k videobit(default is 48Mbit) and they don't have problem to use like 65Mbit or 80Mbit and they don't have overheating problem. This is only Sony's fault.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote:

I have not found a solution yet... No idea for find and change the video bitrate (apk, registry, other)?

There is a setting in SuperVideoCamera.apk regarding 4k bitrate and default is 55Mbit, I've tried to set it to 65Mbit but nothing happen, there is no 4k bitrate setting in SemcCameraUI.apk though.

The default 4k bitrate highest available in media_profiles.xml on z2 is already set at 100Mbit which is the max support value by s800/s801(from my understanding, Samsung is also only up to 100Mbit and this should be the s800/s801 limit). I think there is some other place locked it at 55Mbit in /system or kernel.

P.S. Can you share your 60Mbit camera.apk on One X? Which android ver of your camera.apk? I've got a HTC One S but my apk only max at 40Mbit.
10th August 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEndHK

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2519180
Your statement is entirely wrong. Samsung cam mod here does allowed to change 4k videobit(default is 48Mbit) and they don't have problem to use like 65Mbit or 80Mbit and they don't have overheating problem. This is only Sony's fault.

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

There is a setting in SuperVideoCamera.apk regarding 4k bitrate and default is 55Mbit, I've tried to set it to 65Mbit but nothing happen, there is no 4k bitrate setting in SemcCameraUI.apk though.

The default 4k bitrate highest available in media_profiles.xml on z2 is already set at 100Mbit which is the max support value by s800/s801(from my understanding, Samsung is also only up to 100Mbit and this should be the s800/s801 limit). I think there is some other place locked it at 55Mbit in /system or kernel.

P.S. Can you share your 60Mbit camera.apk on One X? Which android ver of your camera.apk? I've got a HTC One S but my apk only max at 40Mbit.

I have:
Android version 4.4.2
Build number 17.1.2.A.0.314
CPU MSM8974PRO-AB
Model D6503

Yes APK here tested with HTC One X
ul.to/jztjdy6v
Last edited by Tony72000; 10th August 2014 at 06:49 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread