Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,463 Members 39,751 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Use pressure sensor as check for water-tightness?

Tip us?

jcobreros
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Use pressure sensor as check for water-tightness?

I've seen on several threads that the behavior of the pressure sensor can indicate lack of water tightness.

While I'm watching the pressure sensure value, I press on the screen and I see the pressure go up. The pressure then slowly goes down to atmospheric pressure.
When I release my finger, the pressure goes down and slowly goes up to atmospheric again.

What this tells me is that the phone is not AIR tight. Air is slowly going into the phone, and the pressure equalizes.
Is this normal for this phone? Should I expect the pressure to be "constant" while I press on the screen?

keithljh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobreros View Post
I've seen on several threads that the behavior of the pressure sensor can indicate lack of water tightness.

While I'm watching the pressure sensure value, I press on the screen and I see the pressure go up. The pressure then slowly goes down to atmospheric pressure.
When I release my finger, the pressure goes down and slowly goes up to atmospheric again.

What this tells me is that the phone is not AIR tight. Air is slowly going into the phone, and the pressure equalizes.
Is this normal for this phone? Should I expect the pressure to be "constant" while I press on the screen?
I'm not sure, but the phone should be good. IP, ingress protection, states that water can still enter the phone, but at harmless values that will not affect the functionality of the phone.

Sent from my D6503
Using Tapatalk

jcobreros
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks!
I guess that makes sense. Water tight != Air tight.
This all started because I'm getting so paranoid from reading bad things at XDA. Magnetic port falling, little gap, failing flaps, etc.
I've had it for about a month and haven't had a single problem (14W19). Fingers crossed.

keithljh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Thanks!
This all started because I'm getting so paranoid from reading bad things at XDA. Magnetic port falling, little gap, failing flaps, etc.
I've had it for about a month and haven't had a single problem (14W19). Fingers crossed.
Glad I could help!

Sent from my D6503
Using Tapatalk

defsix
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Thanks!
No. Water Tight ≠ Air Tight. Ingress Protection is a measurenet of Dust particle and/or Water Ingress. If you squeeze the air out of your phone the place it in water it will attempt to draw in the water or dust through any slight opening .

The phone according to Sony is IP58 (It is also rated as IP55, I don't believe it can have 2 ratings, clearly Sony don't fully comprehend IP ratings either.)
The First digit refers to particle ingress, in the case of the Z2 it's 5 (Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact (dust proof)), this also means it 1,2,3,4 proof too.
The second digit is 8 (The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. Normally, this will mean that the equipment is hermetically sealed. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.)