Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Questions for AOSP ROM Z2 users (CM11, Carbon, etc)

OP ricebun

5th August 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 8

19 posts
More
Hi guys,

I've owned my Z2 for about a month now, really enjoying the phone. I've rooted and created a TA backup zip and have been exploring more of the phone with root, however, since my first phone was a Nexus, I'd like to go back and test the waters with an AOSP-based image like CarbonROM, but there's a couple concerns with doing so:
  • Will the camera button functionality remain? I like being able to launch the camera with a physical button, and the half/long-press functionality.
  • How well do apps like Google Camera, Impala, and VSCO Cam fill the void left by losing the Z2 camera app? Are they suitable substitutes?
  • Aside from the DRM keys that I've saved in the TA backup, what else is there to worry about losing after unlocking the bootloader? I don't have any investment in Sony's ecosystem outside of this phone, so things like "Social News" and "SmartConnect" aren't exactly deal breakers. In fact, I don't even think I use the active noise cancelling because I own Sennheiser/ATH headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5th August 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,538

1,254 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebun

Hi guys,

I've owned my Z2 for about a month now, really enjoying the phone. I've rooted and created a TA backup zip and have been exploring more of the phone with root, however, since my first phone was a Nexus, I'd like to go back and test the waters with an AOSP-based image like CarbonROM, but there's a couple concerns with doing so:

• Will the camera button functionality remain? I like being able to launch the camera with a physical button, and the half/long-press functionality.
  • How well do apps like Google Camera, Impala, and VSCO Cam fill the void left by losing the Z2 camera app? Are they suitable substitutes?
  • Aside from the DRM keys that I've saved in the TA backup, what else is there to worry about losing after unlocking the bootloader? I don't have any investment in Sony's ecosystem outside of this phone, so things like "Social News" and "SmartConnect" aren't exactly deal breakers. In fact, I don't even think I use the active noise cancelling because I own Sennheiser/ATH headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On XDA in the N5 thread there is a flashable zip for CameraNext from the OnePlus One with this the half/longpress feature is working fine. And everything exept 4k video recording is working fine. But I'm also working on that (soon hopefully together with Kali-, a CM Admin and the sirius maintainer). I don't think you would need anything than saving TA Partition but remember that the Internal storage WILL get formatten when unlocking your bootloader.

Sent from my Xperia Z2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Myself5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th August 2014, 10:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 8

19 posts
More
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread