Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Rear Glass separating from frame. Warranty repair.

OP ZPaul2Fresh8

26th August 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Millbury, OH
Thanks Meter: 168

401 posts
Donate to Me
More
My rear glass is starting to separate from the frame in the top right corner.

Has anyone even heard of this problem on this phone?

Talked to Xperia Care today and it's covered under warranty but it's going to be a 14 working day turn around!

They are based in Texas, but since my phone originated from Hong Kong then it may take longer if parts differ.

It's not noticeable in the picture too bad but it's definitely coming apart because I feel the edge of the glass on my hand. Also it goes back in if I push it in but comes out eventually in a short amount of time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409009034445.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (29.7 KB, 111 views)
26th August 2014, 10:38 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,296

3,047 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPaul2Fresh8

My rear glass is starting to separate from the frame in the top right corner.

Has anyone even heard of this problem on this phone?

Talked to Xperia Care today and it's covered under warranty but it's going to be a 14 working day turn around!

They are based in Texas, but since my phone originated from Hong Kong then it may take longer if parts differ.

It's not noticeable in the picture too bad but it's definitely coming apart because I feel the edge of the glass on my hand. Also it goes back in if I push it in but comes out eventually in a short amount of time...

its a known issue, its quite common actualy, i think if you look around some threads you will see alot of posts from unique users

edit- this should be covered by warrenty, Sony Customer Service Japan can conferm for this and same goes with Sony C-Service UK and also USA
Last edited by Envious_Data; 26th August 2014 at 10:59 AM.
26th August 2014, 05:39 PM   |  #3  
Flag Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 192

534 posts
I actually have the same problem on my Z2 , i previously owned the Xperia Z where i was experiencing same issue, and yes is covered under warranty....glass becomes unglued and separating from frame because NFC pins pushing the glass out, and phone generating heat during usage and this way the adhesive sticker inside becomes melt and glass starts to go out...this is a known issue even Sony knows about. I was able to hold 5 different Z2s and every one had the same issue, same area, different batch numbers.
The fifth one was yesterday in Orange ( operator) i dont know how to cerrectly call this showpiece? I mean the place where you can grap the phone and play with it... I noticed this problem on this phone....

I was analyzing this problem and i found that first area where it starts to come off is where the big flap is, thats the place where NFC pins are, and it continue to ungluing to the corner exactly like it is on your photo....Come on Sony!! Z1 was proof from this becasue of the middle frame and, this way nothing is pushing the glass out and also adhesive sticker is more wider.... I know what i am talking about i am gsm mechanic i was assembling both devices. But i dont know if you guys understand my English
27th August 2014, 06:37 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSkill

I was analyzing this problem and i found that first area where it starts to come off is where the big flap is, thats the place where NFC pins are, and it continue to ungluing to the corner exactly like it is on your photo....Come on Sony!! Z1 was proof from this becasue of the middle frame and, this way nothing is pushing the glass out and also adhesive sticker is more wider.... I know what i am talking about i am gsm mechanic i was assembling both devices. But i dont know if you guys understand my English

You are pretty much right about that. My Z2 seems to have this problem in this particular area, I did not return the unit because I assume this eventually happens to all Z2.

Same thing I suffered with my old Z, I still don't understand why Sony does not come up with a better solution than gluing everything together.
27th August 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #5  
Flag Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 192

534 posts
I saw xperia z3 leaded pictures and from what seen i can say that z3 got fixed this issue because of different placement of NFC pins they paced them almost in the middle of the motherboard (same as z1) logically its a way better placement in the middle because its more dificult for those pins to lift both sides and top of the glass together at the same time than only right side in z / z2... Btw tomorrow i am going to repair another z2 customer reported this issue...

If you want you can go for warranty repair but if you are heavy gamer like me or doing something that heating up the device expect the same thing to happen in less than month.... The adhesive on the glass is really strong but after you heat up the glass, its not so strong then.... Its better to put locktide power flex(super glue) together with adhesive sticker and glue it this way..yeah then its almost impossible to get the glass off as the locktide is less,almost not sensitive to heat. I repaired mine z2 this way,like i sad i am gamer my phone is hot everyday and everithing is okayy
27th August 2014, 09:53 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Edith
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSkill

I saw xperia z3 leaded pictures and from what seen i can say that z3 got fixed this issue because of different placement of NFC pins they paced them almost in the middle of the motherboard (same as z1) logically its a way better placement in the middle because its more dificult for those pins to lift both sides and top of the glass together at the same time than only right side in z / z2... Btw tomorrow i am going to repair another z2 customer reported this issue...

If you want you can go for warranty repair but if you are heavy gamer like me or doing something that heating up the device expect the same thing to happen in less than month.... The adhesive on the glass is really strong but after you heat up the glass, its not so strong then.... Its better to put locktide power flex(super glue) together with adhesive sticker and glue it this way..yeah then its almost impossible to get the glass off as the locktide is less,almost not sensitive to heat. I repaired mine z2 this way,like i sad i am gamer my phone is hot everyday and everithing is okayy

Well I run 3 or 4 times per week and I use Nike+ so the phone gets pretty hot, and since I really don't have the skills to open my phone and glued again I will just ignore this issue (Hopefully is a minor issue) and I'm going to hope Sony has all this fixed by the time Z4 is released.
Last edited by Night Elve; 27th August 2014 at 10:08 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread