[Q] Is it time for ART - Android Run Time?

OP Silverylos

23rd August 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I've heard that the ART in Z2 is still Open-Beta stage. So I need your few words about this stuff, desperately.
Apparently, most of my games are not compatible with ART. So what will happen if I change the runtime? Remains the status quo, slows them down or even ruins my game? Also, the same question for all Apps that does not know what ART is.
My device has been root for some time. How's that be affected by ART? Will any problems occur?
And, ART_Is it really THAT GOOD?
23rd August 2014, 04:04 PM   |  #2  
Flag Longboat Key
Thanks Meter: 20

101 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverylos

I've heard that the ART in Z2 is still Open-Beta stage. So I need your few words about this stuff, desperately.
Apparently, most of my games are not compatible with ART. So what will happen if I change the runtime? Remains the status quo, slows them down or even ruins my game? Also, the same question for all Apps that does not know what ART is.
My device has been root for some time. How's that be affected by ART? Will any problems occur?

The ART in android 4.4 kitkat is no where near ART in android L. The ART in 4.4 kitkat is in an early stage, but it should speed up app animations (just a tad) and battery life should be improved (still, just a tad). Apart from those nice changes, it also makes booting the phone take longer. If you almost never turn your phone off all the way or reboot it, that shouldn't matter. But ART in android L improves battery a LOT and speeds things up a good amount. As for apps that don't work with ART? I know there are lists you can find out there where people have tested lots of apps so they should be able to tell you basically which apps don't work. I'm using dalvik right now because I need Xposed Installer and BusyBox which both do not work with ART (as far as I know). Anyways, you can switch to ART, try it out, and if too many apps won't work, just switch back to dalvik. All of your apps should work if you switch back to dalvik. ART has no lingering effects if you switch back.
EDIT: Also, when I say an app won't work with ART, that means that the app simply won't work at all. It will simply crash and you'll go right back to the home screen. Any app that does work, should be the same as an app in dalvik but it might shave a couple milliseconds off from how long the app takes to launch. But it's basically an all or nothing as to whether the app will work or not with ART. It either doesn't work at ALL or it works the same/better.
Last edited by Uclydde; 23rd August 2014 at 04:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uclydde For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #3  
Flag Birkenhead
Thanks Meter: 801

2,586 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverylos

It's not a question of wether or not it's good, from L, as i understand it, it will be the default runtime.
23rd August 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #4  
Flag Longboat Key
Thanks Meter: 20

101 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofcain

It's not a question of wether or not it's good, from L, as i understand it, it will be the default runtime.

The Z2 doesn't have android L, or any L-based roms. I assume he was asking if the ART in kitkat was good.
24th August 2014, 09:30 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,040

2,561 posts
Donate to Me
More
Android 5.0 is far from finished and so is Art Runtime/Compiler
and it is surely worth the wait

Instead of apps being compiled every time you open the app that being how dalvik vm works. the apps are already compiled from when they were installed.

this lowers app opening time
lowers risk of bugs in apps during run time
generaly more free space in system partitions
frees up some ram but this is app dependant

- saves some battery
overal lower system load cpu mostly
faster booting times potentialy
no need to deodex to mod, simply clear your cache and app compile output cache

art runtime is certainly much better than dalvik
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread