FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tutorial] Get Recovery working on UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, when you're on MM NO DATALOSS

228 posts
Thanks Meter: 130

By raolleel, Senior Member on 23rd March 2016, 05:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I noticed that many people want to get recovery working on Marshmallow-Beta. Most people don't want to loose there data, settings ....
So I thought about writing a little Tutorial.

We need:

boot.img with included Recovery
TWRP for unlocked Bootloader
FTF of the .264-firmware (you can download it via XperiaFirm (keep in mind selecting your Phone (e.g. D6503))
flashtool and it's latest update
A few GB space on your SD-Card
MM-Beta-Zip
Installed Drivers
Time

The first thing we need to do is to backup our Data, but How to do this without Recovery, TitaniumBackup isn't a good solution.
So .. one way would be to flash a boot.img, so we can boot a recovery, which is included into that file

Step1: Shutdown your Phone (you should have at least 50% battery for a safe flash)
Step2: Connect your Phone to your Computer, while pressing the Volume UP Button (if you have a blue light you're now in fastboot-mode)
Step3: flash the boot.img (fastboot flash boot stock-17.1.1.A.0.402-sirius-repack.img via cmd) NOW YOUR PHONE CAN NOT BOOT TO MARSHMALLOW ANYMORE
Step4: Connect Phone to PC and backup your Data From internalSD

Enter recovery and make a backup

Step1: reboot your phone (fastboot reboot), then press the vol down Button repeatedly, until you enter the recovery.
Step2: make a backup and select everything, but boot IMPORTANT !
Flashing new bootloader

Step1: shutdown your phone completely
Step2: start flashtool and select the thunder symbole + flashmode
Step3: select your downloaded FTF and select wipe Userdata+Apps-Logs
Step4: plug in your phone with vol+ pressed, so that you're in flashmode
Step5: flash firmware
Flashing TWRP

Step1: Shutdown your Phone
Step2: Boot into Fastboot
Step3 Flash TWRP for unlocked bootloader : fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Restoring MM
Step1: Shutdown your phone
Step2: Boot into Recovery (hold Power and VolDown, release Power when phone vibrates)
Step3: flash MM-Zip
Step4: restore your Backup
Step5: restore Internal-SD-Backup-files to InternalSD
---
Done
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raolleel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raolleel Ad-Free

23rd March 2016, 05:27 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
OK, thanks
23rd March 2016, 07:37 PM |#3  
Flag Daegu
Thanks Meter: 7

More
So you mean we're going to use TWPR's backup function. But does TWRP Backup restore internal sd's general files(photos, songs....etc)?
Flashing ftf with wipe userdata option will wipe EVERYTHING on my internal-sd, including photos and songs. So It's no use if twrp cannot restore them
Or do you write this guide only for people who only want to keep their appdata and settings(/data/data, /data/app)?

Also, you mentioned about NEW Bootloader of .264 firmware. Many ppl told me that I should update to new BL to install recovery in MM.
Does the NEW BL has seperated partitions for each recovery and boot(kernel)?
23rd March 2016, 09:00 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Münster
Thanks Meter: 130

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hw0603

So you mean we're going to use TWPR's backup function. But does TWRP Backup restore internal sd's general files(photos, songs....etc)?
Flashing ftf with wipe userdata option will wipe EVERYTHING on my internal-sd, including photos and songs. So It's no use if twrp cannot restore them
Or do you write this guide only for people who only want to keep their appdata and settings(/data/data, /data/app)?

You're right .. I didn't noticed that internalSD is wiped, too. But you can back up it via PC in Recovery or in Android
@backupfunction ... No Recovery has the option to backup InternalSD (because the developers think its useless)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hw0603

Also, you mentioned about NEW Bootloader of .264 firmware. Many ppl told me that I should update to new BL to install recovery in MM.
Does the NEW BL has seperated partitions for each recovery and boot(kernel)?

Yes exactly there is a seperate recovery partition
The Following User Says Thank You to raolleel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raolleel Ad-Free
24th March 2016, 09:15 AM |#5  
Flag Daegu
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raolleel

You're right .. I didn't noticed that internalSD is wiped, too. But you can back up it via PC in Recovery or in Android
@backupfunction ... No Recovery has the option to backup InternalSD (because the developers think its useless)

Yes exactly there is a seperate recovery partition

Thanks for reply I'm going to try installing MM on weekend
31st March 2016, 07:38 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I tried it, it worked perfectly, thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)