Post Reply

[Q] If I update to 314 firmware, do I lose root?

23rd August 2014, 02:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
Hi,

I have a UK unbranded xperia z2 and just received notification that there is new firmware.

It says I can download it via wifi without connecting to a PC.

I have previously rooted the device without unlocking the bootloader. I am wondering - if I update the firmware over wifi will I lose root?

If so is rooting it again as easy as it was the first time? I think the first time I used easy rooter app

Thanks
23rd August 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #2  
ghostofcain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birkenhead
Thanks Meter: 796
 
2,556 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphrex

Hi,

I have a UK unbranded xperia z2 and just received notification that there is new firmware.

It says I can download it via wifi without connecting to a PC.

I have previously rooted the device without unlocking the bootloader. I am wondering - if I update the firmware over wifi will I lose root?

If so is rooting it again as easy as it was the first time? I think the first time I used easy rooter app

Thanks

Yes and Yes, you will loose root but rooting with your favourite root exploit should be identical procedure.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostofcain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2014, 03:12 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofcain

Yes and Yes, you will loose root but rooting with your favourite root exploit should be identical procedure.

Thanks.

I just tried OTA update and it said it "could not verify" - after some research seems I have to remove root. But I dont want to have to wipe my phones data.

Is there a way to remove root without wiping data? In superSU, there is a "Full Unroot" option but will this actually remove root so I can update?
24th August 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #4  
ghostofcain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birkenhead
Thanks Meter: 796
 
2,556 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
More
Flash the unbranded ftf for 314 UK, via flashtool, specifying no wipe for data and you should be OK although you'll have to reroot afterwards.
24th August 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #5  
abhi007.john's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 34
 
151 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiphrex

Thanks.

I just tried OTA update and it said it "could not verify" - after some research seems I have to remove root. But I dont want to have to wipe my phones data.

Is there a way to remove root without wiping data? In superSU, there is a "Full Unroot" option but will this actually remove root so I can update?

OTA update generally removes root. But you should be able to root again with the same procedure. The full unroot option in SuperSU does actually what it says and will fully unroot your device allowing you to update the firmware.
Just give it a try.


Hit thanks if it helped
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Top Threads in Xperia Z2 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank