Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Upgrade from Z1 to Z2 by backup won't work. Any ideas? Options

OP EpicBIGC

21st August 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Hello my friends, I recently got a z2, an upgrade from my old z1 (which got stuck in safe mode and could not be fixed). When I had my old Z1 I did the general backup stuff for my photos but it left some holes. As an extra precaution I used the Sony backup and restore app (the own in the tools section). It worked, I saved it to my sd card, restored to factory settings, then restored from my backup. It worked great but it was still in safe mode, hence the new phone

The problem is now I get this message:
Cannot restore

It's fairly obvious what the problem is but what isn't so obvious is how to fix it.

Thanks a lot,
Callum

P.S. Wish I'd used titanium back up. I need to root and use cyanegmod again
22nd August 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,278

3,029 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBIGC

Hello my friends, I recently got a z2, an upgrade from my old z1 (which got stuck in safe mode and could not be fixed). When I had my old Z1 I did the general backup stuff for my photos but it left some holes. As an extra precaution I used the Sony backup and restore app (the own in the tools section). It worked, I saved it to my sd card, restored to factory settings, then restored from my backup. It worked great but it was still in safe mode, hence the new phone

The problem is now I get this message:
Cannot restore

It's fairly obvious what the problem is but what isn't so obvious is how to fix it.

Thanks a lot,
Callum

P.S. Wish I'd used titanium back up. I need to root and use cyanegmod again

you cant restore a backup cross devices aka Z1-->Z2
im not realy sure what you can do exept using file explorers to pull info off your Z1 as much as

if any ideas come up ill post here or perhaps someone can enlighten me or you!
22nd August 2014, 12:34 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Seems a bit strange, can't understand it. It's not that different so why I can't restore from that is a mystery to me. Luckily I backed up my photos before so all I have to do is redownload my apps by looking through on the Google play store my apps section and redownload my Spotify library. It's a pain but I'll live.

Thanks alot, especially for that speedy reply
22nd August 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Imagination
Thanks Meter: 1,278

3,029 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBIGC

Seems a bit strange, can't understand it. It's not that different so why I can't restore from that is a mystery to me. Luckily I backed up my photos before so all I have to do is redownload my apps by looking through on the Google play store my apps section and redownload my Spotify library. It's a pain but I'll live.

Thanks alot, especially for that speedy reply

it may be simular but because it would be a bit pointless making your restore manager determine what can and cant be restored

it would take too long so sony just leaves it out like most other brands,i think there is a method of pulling apart backups but i dont know of it too well, try googling perhaps
22nd August 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Accra, Ghana.
Thanks Meter: 1,702

2,270 posts
More
There is nothing exactly wrong mate, I heard sometime that you can't even restore from a different firmware to a newer one or vice versa. Didn't try tho.. But yh
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread