FORUMS

Xiaomi Releases Kernel Source Code For Mi4i

If you’ve been following the XDA News Portal lately, you might have noticed an … more

How to Listen to Beats 1 on Android Right Now

If you felt a bit left out by Apple launching their own online radio station Beats 1 … more

NVidia SHIELD TV – XDA TV Device Review

The SHIELD TV is a not an Android smartphone device. However, that doesn’t mean it … more

PSA: Having cellular connectivity or texting issues tonight?

You’re not alone…Tonight, many users are experiencing a myriad … more

Warranty question

77 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
By Sebba513, Member on 20th August 2014, 07:59 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I rooted, backed up DRM keys, unlocked bootloader, then used my phone. Later, I relocked bootloader, flashed a stock FTF, rooted to restore DRM keys, then went into setting -> reset and took a factory reset from there. Then I sold the phone.

The buyer says that some apps still says he is rooted, and therefore is worried about the warranty. My question is, did it not unroot while doing a factory reset? What should he to to unroot? And if it does unroot, is the warranty still valid?

Thanks!
 
 
20th August 2014, 08:52 PM |#2  
mariosraptor's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Corfu
Thanks Meter: 654
 
Donate to Me
More
He has to replace an ftf. File.
You just did a factory reset. You can't uproot like that's cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

[QUOTE=mariosraptor;54948516]He has to re-flash an ftf. File.
You just did a factory reset. You can't unroot like that cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.
If you restored DRM keys then warranty should be still valid.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor

He has to re-flash an ftf. File.
You just did a factory reset. You can't unroot like that cause root apps write on system partition which is not affected by factory reset from settings.
If you restored DRM keys then warranty should be still valid.



---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Lol. I really don't know why all these quotes! You get the point
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariosraptor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 09:22 PM |#3  
ghostofcain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Birkenhead
Thanks Meter: 829
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebba513

I rooted, backed up DRM keys, unlocked bootloader, then used my phone. Later, I relocked bootloader, flashed a stock FTF, rooted to restore DRM keys, then went into setting -> reset and took a factory reset from there. Then I sold the phone.

The buyer says that some apps still says he is rooted, and therefore is worried about the warranty. My question is, did it not unroot while doing a factory reset? What should he to to unroot? And if it does unroot, is the warranty still valid?

Thanks!

Warranty is still valid wether rooted or not, if bootloader is unlocked that is a different matter. You have re-locked your bootloader but Sony theoretically could have a list of devices unlocked, they provide the key after all, and therefore warranty could be void.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostofcain For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 09:30 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofcain

Warranty is still valid wether rooted or not, if bootloader is unlocked that is a different matter. You have re-locked your bootloader but Sony theoretically could have a list of devices unlocked, they provide the key after all, and therefore warranty could be void.

Where is the proof that the warranty is valid while the phone is rooted? I can not seem to find the source
20th August 2014, 09:32 PM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor

]Lol. I really don't know why all these quotes! You get the point

An FTF might be a little troublesome for him, as he is not technical enough for that. Would installing SuperSU and then doing a "Full Unroot" fix the problem?
20th August 2014, 09:42 PM |#6  
mariosraptor's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Corfu
Thanks Meter: 654
 
Donate to Me
More
Theoretically it will work. I don't know though if it leaves any traces.
If he doesn't want to flash ftf then the easiest way is to make a software repair through PC Companion

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebba513

Where is the proof that the warranty is valid while the phone is rooted? I can not seem to find the source

From what I know if it is rooted then also it voids warranty. Anything that gives you access to system partition could be a good way to brick phone. Therefore it is a good way for any manufacturer to deny you warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to mariosraptor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 09:44 PM |#7  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor

Theoretically it will work. I don't know though if it leaves any traces.
If he doesn't want to flash ftf then the easiest way is to make a software repair through PC Companion

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------



From what I know if it is rooted then also it voids warranty. Anything that gives you access to system partition could be a good way to brick phone. Therefore it is a good way for any manufacturer to deny you warranty.

Alright I'll ask to have him try the Full Unroot option first.. then go on to either FTF or software repair.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes