Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,599 Members 43,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z2 and built in pedometer

Tip us?

bartorux
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Xperia Z2 and built in pedometer

Hello guys!
I have one question for you. When i use my iPhone 5 i was i huge fan of all step counters. I always use day by day app called Moves, but i works on GPS and really fast drain iphone's battery. What about the xperia? Have it got built in pedometer, or simple step counters wors on GPS too? What about the battery drain whit Lifelog or Moves on in my Xperia? That's my first post here, hello everybody!

nobnut
Old
Thanks Meter 2,450
The short answer is yes, the Z2 has its own 'pedometer'. By that I mean that the device captures 'steps' by itself. You can install a third party app (there are loads on the Play Store - here is an example) to view the number of steps taken. The sensor actually counts the steps constantly, the apps just 'plug into' this data and present it to you.

'Moves' as you are aware does this too, but it also tracks your location. it is in my experience too battery hungry to be worth the installation.

The 'Lifelog' app along with the smartband is quite useful, but it is the smartband which counts the steps taken. The app shows more than just steps, it shows time spent browsing etc.

The other issue is the difference between counting steps via the phone and via a third party piece of hardware (smartband etc). If you have your phone with you always, then it's not too bad, but if like me, you leave your phone for periods (when I go out for lunch at work), then it won't be counting your steps whilst sat on your desk.

My own preferred choice is a Fitbit device, which I can use via all of my devices (PC, tablet, windows phone etc). But it is all a matter of personal preference.

Never, ever conform
IOHWIRI

bartorux
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I download Fitbit app but it shows only calories burned, Lifelog from sony is not count well. One time it shows 1500 steps, then 9000, then one more refresh and no change. Moves is draining battery, because from time to time as you said it is using GPS cords. Now I'm thinking about smartband, i really enjoy steps count, because I know when i need to move a little more :P What should i choose Sony smartband, fitbit flex or maby add some extra cash and take some Pebble Watch?

ahvipardik
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Pebble as far as I know does not count steps. I would recommend to go with some wristband what shows time as well, I'm using the SmartBand and it's the feature I'm missing. Smartband talk comes out soon which has display as well.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app