FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Z2 died yesterday (out of the blue) - newbie here, any advice appreciated!

OP senwong

5th November 2014, 09:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hello,

I have an unrooted Z2. With around 30% battery left, I put it in the charging dock on my desktop yesterday evening. After 1 or 2 hours, I noticed that the phone is completely dead - no LEDs are blinking, no vibration, nothing. I tried pressing the power button alone, in combination with VolumeDown, VolumeUp, CameraButton, for more than 30 seconds each. I tried pressing down the tiny red button next to the SIM slot for awhile. Nothing. Phone is dead like a brick.

The only result I'm getting is when I plug it into my computer (ubuntu 14.10) - the LED bar on top is showing a constant red color in this case. Doing the button presses outlined above in this situation is also pointless.

I'm installing flashtool for Linux right now, the connection is pretty slow and it will take awhile. I hope to find out more afterwards. I'm a newbie when it comes to flashing sony phones, only found out now about flashtool. Any advice/tip on how to proceed, or if it even makes sense to dig into this, is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by senwong; 5th November 2014 at 10:11 AM.
5th November 2014, 10:36 AM   |  #2  
Flag Katowice
Thanks Meter: 41

152 posts
More
Hello,

are you perfectly sure your dock was connected properly and it hasn't discharged your phone? Maybe there was something wrong with it.
I had similar situation while I was low on battery and I was creating backup in recovery. Then I fell asleep and I have found my phone completely 'dead'. I connected it to the wall charger and nothing. No led, no nothing. I have even connected it to my pc and also nothing happened. Then I connected my Z2 to the wall charger and I left it like that. And after few hours, out of the blue, just turned itself on, just like my old Nokia n95.

I'm sorry it's not quite solution you looked for, but give it a try. Essential is to charge it via wall charger.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to amon87 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2014, 10:52 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 26

175 posts
More
Do what @amon87 says OP. Charge it on a wall charger for a minimum of 3-4 hours; If that doesn't work, can you specify whether you were using a legitimate Sony dock or a third party dock? If it was third party, it could possibly have caused a hardware problem with your device via the magnetic charge pins (not extremely likely but not unheard of). Worst case scenario, send it back to Sony in the next few days. The warranty will cover it if you haven't caused water damage or anything like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devzz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th November 2014, 11:01 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thanks for your replies! I also hoped for a sudden discharge, so I removed the device from the dock, plugged the USB in directly, and left it overnight - still nothing. Also, I have the original Sony dock, and have never exposed the device to any water.

Found out the model number in the meantime, it's D5303, if it's of any help. Flashtool does not see the device, unfortunately. I just found out that Sony describes an option to restore your device through the official PC companion app - I'll give that a try when I'm home, and will report back tomorrow.

Otherwise I guess my only option is the warranty.
5th November 2014, 11:08 AM   |  #5  
Flag Katowice

152 posts
More
There's also an option to quickly plug in and out charging wire to kick-start the battery. Unfortunatelly i have no further ideas to help you out.

Don't give your hopes up, try again. There's been a thread of a guy whose Z2 turned itself off and it seemed dead, but after a day or two it just turned on.
5th November 2014, 02:17 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
So, of course it's also not detected by Sony's "Bridge for Mac" app. Plugging it in and out brought also no results.

As the device is still covered by warranty, and I have yet not tampered with it, I've sent it in for repair! My pocket feels so empty now, i wonder how life is going to be without a phone. Apparently they need 5 - 10 working days.

Thanks for your kind support, guys!
5th November 2014, 04:50 PM   |  #7  
Flag Katowice

152 posts
More
Sorry to hear that. Hope it will get fixed!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread