Is the Z2 really THIS bad?

OP seh6183

12th July 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #91  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128

1,568 posts
Okay my White Xperia z2 (6503) arrived today from Amazon. Pulled out the black card and its 14w24, which is a relief, however it still has flaws. I go through my phones with a fine tooth comb so I notice every tiny little thing that could possibly be wrong. First off before I even bought the phone I did some research to see what flaws I should expect to see when it showed up. I found that people were experiencing the following:

Gaps around front of the screen glass and phone unibody.
Glass panels "clicking" or lifting up at the edges.
Weak charging port/sd card covers that fall out.
Dead pixels.
Camera lens off center.
Phone overheating and shutting down after about 5 minutes of 4k recording.
Magnetic charging port falling out.
Finger triggering screen presses when only hovering above the screen and not touching.
Water droplets on the screen select random things on the screen like a finger.
Terrible call quality to person receiving the call.
Slow LTE.

Well after having the device for about 4 hours, I can confirm about half of these. My device is one of the newer devices made and it still has these issues. Mine has a tiny, (almost not noticable) gap between the glass and the unibody on the front top right of the phone. None of my glass panels are loose, clicking, or lifting (yet...). The charging port covers seem firm enough to hold them in, but they certainly dont snap into place and I am slightly concerned that they may be falling out in the future at some point, not good for a "waterproof" phone. I found two pixel "issues", but they are not fully dead pixels. Under fulll brightness on a totally white screen, I can see two tiny tiny little specs that are grey, they don't look dead to me, just flawed. My camera lense is off center (are they all maybe?). I started a 4k recording 30 seconds after powering up the device so it was as cool as possible, in a nice air conditioned building, and the phone made it 7:55 before shutting down due to heat. I also have a tiny little black mark that can not be removed on the white trim around the outside of the screen on the front. My fingers do not register touches when I hold it above the screen, only when I actually touch it. I think people experiencing this have glove mode enabled. Water droplets do register touches, but I guess there is a water mode to help this, havent found it yet. I made 10 test calls to 2 different people and found that I sound better to them when noise supression is disabled. I also made sure the APN was perfect and I called AT&T to update my IMEI. Call quality is acceptable in both directions, I can hear just fine with no issues, and other callers said the same about me. LTE is slow. I got 5 down and 7 up. Odd because I usually always get a higher download. I suspect that a new modem for the US would help that out a lot, but I don't know where that would come from. Maybe another USA sony phone? And last but not least my charging port is not loose or falling out, but the phone just came out of the box. The people that had the port fall out said it took at least a month. So as of right now I'm just waiting for the thing to fall out so I can silicone it back in.

Even with all of this I don't think I'll send the phone back. I really like it and it's a lot nicer than the Note 3 I came from. I don't know though, the z3 is supposed to be out in september, so I may change my mind in the next 13 days lol.
13th July 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #92  
Flag Johannesburg
Thanks Meter: 2

21 posts
More
Happy user
My only gripe was seeing the Vodacom boot loader animation when I first turned my Z2 on. This immediately told me that I would experience delays in obtaining firmware, as my cellular provider would first want to update Sony's stock firmware.

I honestly didn't even try the stock firmware and an running Cyanogenmod with excellent results. Battery lasts 2 days with moderate use, everything is smooth and build quality is excellent.

I've always had my phones in covers, to protect them from bumps and bruises, so ordered a magnetic charging cable to avoid having to remove the cover and opening the USB flap each time I charge.

Highly recommend the phone and congratulate Sony on giving me the choice to officially unlock the boot loader and install software of my choice...
13th July 2014, 09:22 PM   |  #93  
Thanks Meter: 182

394 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh6183

Okay my White Xperia z2 (6503) arrived today from Amazon. Pulled out the black card and its 14w24, which is a relief, however it still has flaws. I go through my phones with a fine tooth comb so I notice every tiny little thing that could possibly be wrong. First off before I even bought the phone I did some research to see what flaws I should expect to see when it showed up. I found that people were experiencing the following:

Gaps around front of the screen glass and phone unibody.
Glass panels "clicking" or lifting up at the edges.
Weak charging port/sd card covers that fall out.
Dead pixels.
Camera lens off center.
Phone overheating and shutting down after about 5 minutes of 4k recording.
Magnetic charging port falling out.
Finger triggering screen presses when only hovering above the screen and not touching.
Water droplets on the screen select random things on the screen like a finger.
Terrible call quality to person receiving the call.
Slow LTE.

Well after having the device for about 4 hours, I can confirm about half of these. My device is one of the newer devices made and it still has these issues. Mine has a tiny, (almost not noticable) gap between the glass and the unibody on the front top right of the phone. None of my glass panels are loose, clicking, or lifting (yet...). The charging port covers seem firm enough to hold them in, but they certainly dont snap into place and I am slightly concerned that they may be falling out in the future at some point, not good for a "waterproof" phone. I found two pixel "issues", but they are not fully dead pixels. Under fulll brightness on a totally white screen, I can see two tiny tiny little specs that are grey, they don't look dead to me, just flawed. My camera lense is off center (are they all maybe?). I started a 4k recording 30 seconds after powering up the device so it was as cool as possible, in a nice air conditioned building, and the phone made it 7:55 before shutting down due to heat. I also have a tiny little black mark that can not be removed on the white trim around the outside of the screen on the front. My fingers do not register touches when I hold it above the screen, only when I actually touch it. I think people experiencing this have glove mode enabled. Water droplets do register touches, but I guess there is a water mode to help this, havent found it yet. I made 10 test calls to 2 different people and found that I sound better to them when noise supression is disabled. I also made sure the APN was perfect and I called AT&T to update my IMEI. Call quality is acceptable in both directions, I can hear just fine with no issues, and other callers said the same about me. LTE is slow. I got 5 down and 7 up. Odd because I usually always get a higher download. I suspect that a new modem for the US would help that out a lot, but I don't know where that would come from. Maybe another USA sony phone? And last but not least my charging port is not loose or falling out, but the phone just came out of the box. The people that had the port fall out said it took at least a month. So as of right now I'm just waiting for the thing to fall out so I can silicone it back in.

Even with all of this I don't think I'll send the phone back. I really like it and it's a lot nicer than the Note 3 I came from. I don't know though, the z3 is supposed to be out in september, so I may change my mind in the next 13 days lol.

Sir, if you are THIS OCD over a mobile I would hate to be the poor soul who owns a garage and sells you a new car! Hell fire chap if you seriously take to heart even a tiny proportion of the threads here you would never buy any mobile of any brand.

As far as I can ascertain from reading this forum every single flag ship mobile has the same list of possible issues you have complied. Lemons are to be found in ever single purchase we make. I change mobile sometimes 4 or 5 times a year and can honestly write it is VERY seldom I have a single problem with any of the mobiles I purchase. I bought my first mobile way back at the end of the 80's.

Of course if I start to read these threads and become paranoid, place my mobile under a microscope I have no doubt I could find fault in EVERY mobile I have ever purchased. What you are looking for does not exist. Total and absolute perfection is not even an option on devise like the space shuttle that has a thousand times greater quality control.

Be realistic and stop this panic. Enjoy your phone until or if the times comes it may develop a problem then send it back. In well over 100-150? mobiles I have only done this once! Had I have taken notice of some of the threads on this forum I would be permanently phoneless.

I have found Sony to be reliable and VERY well built with brilliant quality control. I have zero hesitation is recommended them. Having said that I found the same with HTC, Motorola, LG, Nexus also Samsung and Nokia......Not to mention my first........NEC.

Ryland
Last edited by Ryland Johnson; 13th July 2014 at 09:32 PM.
14th July 2014, 12:55 AM   |  #94  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128

1,568 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland Johnson

Sir, if you are THIS OCD over a mobile I would hate to be the poor soul who owns a garage and sells you a new car! Hell fire chap if you seriously take to heart even a tiny proportion of the threads here you would never buy any mobile of any brand.

As far as I can ascertain from reading this forum every single flag ship mobile has the same list of possible issues you have complied. Lemons are to be found in ever single purchase we make. I change mobile sometimes 4 or 5 times a year and can honestly write it is VERY seldom I have a single problem with any of the mobiles I purchase. I bought my first mobile way back at the end of the 80's.

Of course if I start to read these threads and become paranoid, place my mobile under a microscope I have no doubt I could find fault in EVERY mobile I have ever purchased. What you are looking for does not exist. Total and absolute perfection is not even an option on devise like the space shuttle that has a thousand times greater quality control.

Be realistic and stop this panic. Enjoy your phone until or if the times comes it may develop a problem then send it back. In well over 100-150? mobiles I have only done this once! Had I have taken notice of some of the threads on this forum I would be permanently phoneless.

I have found Sony to be reliable and VERY well built with brilliant quality control. I have zero hesitation is recommended them. Having said that I found the same with HTC, Motorola, LG, Nexus also Samsung and Nokia......Not to mention my first........NEC.

Ryland

Well.

If you read my post closely you'll see that everything I listed were simply observations and not complaints. As you can see I am keeping the phone so I'm not devastated by any means. I actually am not upset at all and am surprised you felt that way after reading my post. I'm not "OCD", I'm thorough. I think my post was beneficial for others and was well written.

It's also funny you should bring up cars, I am an absolute car fanatic and yes very very serious about my vehicles. I flew to another state to buy my last vehicle. Picture below. Have a nice day.

The Following User Says Thank You to seh6183 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2014, 04:30 AM   |  #95  
Flag Skövde
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
More
I don't think there is a phone without issues unfortunately

I've during my one week with it had it close the camera app once due to overheating (but have also been able to record for 17minutes 4K!)

I've also been affected by the Facebook video bug.

I'd not say this is negative enough to make you not purchase the phone though. The facebook bug will be patch, and the overheating problem will most likely never affect you in any real world usage (except if you live in a really really hot country maybe).
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlBlomqvist For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread