Help a Xperia noob out with some questions please :L

Search This thread

tutchthesky7

Feb 24, 2011
So this is my first xperia device since the Xperia Arc was released way back when, and I have been using HTC phones. Which are WAY different in terms of Rooting / Unlocking / Etc.

So long story short, What I want to know is what Can I currently do to the Xperia Z5? I see there's no custom ROM's yet which is expected , but I see mixed results about unlocked BootLoader & Root , the main thread says that a bootloader hasn't been achieved, yet there's a few root methods which have been successfully completed , requiring an unlocked bootloader, so naturally you could see the confusion..... Can someone point a SONY noob towards the right direction in terms of bootloader unlock / rooting? Running the E6653 ( not sure if there's variants )

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Basically you currently need to unlock the bootloader to to get root. And doing so loses some features which u may possibly never get back. So most people are currently waiting for another way around to be figured out

Sent from my Xperia z5 using Tapatalk

tutchthesky7

Feb 24, 2011
well ****...

Basically you currently need to unlock the bootloader to to get root. And doing so loses some features which u may possibly never get back. So most people are currently waiting for another way around to be figured out

Sent from my Xperia z5 using Tapatalk

My heart literally dropped as I read this..... Because I already unlocked the bootloader. I'm assuming it's the bootloader unlocking that destroys some features? If so , which ones?

And how can I tell if they were actually destroyed / bootloader unlock actually worked

Last edited:

ricodredd

Oct 10, 2014
Dublin
Unlocking the bootloader on Xperias will delete the device's DRM keys. These keys are unique per device and once gone are gone forever. They're needed for Image enhancements like X-Reality/Bravia/Super-Vivid and some camera features too - low light and noise reduction algorithms I think. Sound improvements (ClearAudio+...) too.

tutchthesky7

Feb 24, 2011
Unlocking the bootloader on Xperias will delete the device's DRM keys. These keys are unique per device and once gone are gone forever. They're needed for Image enhancements like X-Reality/Bravia/Super-Vivid and some camera features too - low light and noise reduction algorithms I think. Sound improvements (ClearAudio+...) too.

Well crap lol, is there any way to actually make sure that the DRM's were deleted or if the bootloader unlock was actually successful? I still have a few days to swap the phone out if anything goes wrong ( Bell wouldn't be able to tell a bootloader unlock ) , I haven't had enough play time with the phone before the process to actually see a difference with the camera, I read somewhere that if TrackID works, than it's not unlocked, is that true?