Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,257 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sony Warranty Ripoff

Tip us?

edbro9
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Sony Warranty Ripoff

I bought my phone without a contract from Newegg. 11 months later the battery is dead, phone won't stay on without being on the charger. I call Sony and then send them my Newegg Invoice clearly showing I bought the phone in Sept of last year. Sony says they will not honor the warranty because my Newegg invoice does not show the IMEI number. Why would Newegg put the IMEI number on the invoice? This is the last Sony product I will ever buy.

000@nkit
Old
Thanks Meter 1
huh! As far as i can remember all invoices of my previous phones had their IMEI no on them (including my current ZL). Mayb you can contact Newegg about it!

TheTofu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Worst case scenario the battery is fairly easy to replace, it'll probably take you all of 1-2 hours, maybe less if you're skilled with technical stuff.
Current: Xperia ZL C6506 + PA 4.4
Previous: Galaxy Exhibit II 4G w/ CM11

ovexi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is my experience with Sony Canada: I bought an used Xperia ZL online in May 2013. After a few months I noticed dust in the camera lens. Nothing I tried worked and finally I sent the phone to Sony for repair w/o receipt telling them that I lost the receipt. They fixed it and sent it back.

A few months later the 3.5mm jack went bad as I could not hear anything after connecting the earphones. I sent it for repair again and got it back fixed.

This year in May the camera stopped working. I tried reflashing the phone, repairing it using their tool but nothing worked. I sent it back again. Obviously with no receipt and this time out of warranty. To my surprise after about a week I received a brand new phone from Sony (including all new accessories and box) with a letter saying that my old phone is not repairable anymore and I was offered a new phone in exchange. I was puzzled and could not believe it. So far the phone is going strong w/o issues.

scifan
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovexi View Post
This is my experience with Sony Canada: I bought an used Xperia ZL online in May 2013. After a few months I noticed dust in the camera lens. Nothing I tried worked and finally I sent the phone to Sony for repair w/o receipt telling them that I lost the receipt. They fixed it and sent it back.

A few months later the 3.5mm jack went bad as I could not hear anything after connecting the earphones. I sent it for repair again and got it back fixed.

This year in May the camera stopped working. I tried reflashing the phone, repairing it using their tool but nothing worked. I sent it back again. Obviously with no receipt and this time out of warranty. To my surprise after about a week I received a brand new phone from Sony (including all new accessories and box) with a letter saying that my old phone is not repairable anymore and I was offered a new phone in exchange. I was puzzled and could not believe it. So far the phone is going strong w/o issues.

Nice.

I know if you have issues and have to deal with repairing a phone through a carrier many times if your phone has a 3rd issue, they replace with new as wel...

Did you receive another zl? or something else?