[Q] Xperia ZR (Rooting and Boot screen) for noobs?

Search This thread

Hardwelling

Feb 7, 2015
Male'
Hi guys. I have recently signed up here and am currently a XDA and Android noob. But i do have some experience of rooting. (I often watch one of my relative root and do stuff with odin but only for Samsung). I currently own a SONY Xperia ZR C5502. It has android 4.4.4 KitKat.
And i have no idea how to root it or load it's boot screen. I'm trying to install CyanogenMod or an android lollipop ROM to it.
If anyone is kind enough to give me some advice or help I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks
Ahmed

DoO37

Jan 19, 2013
Cairo
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hi Hardwelling, Welcome to ZR Forums :)
i was a samsung user one day so i know what you feel now :D
For Sony Devices, to flash ".ftf" ROMs, flash kernels..etc , you should use Flashtool
It's the same as ODIN.

First
For Rooting your device you've several ways :
1. Root the device without unlocking bootloader (you'll not be able to flash any other ROM not based on Sony Stock one)
2. Root the device with unlocking the bootlader. (you'll lose your DRM Keys , however there are ways to Back them up, search xda for further information about DRM keys)

for both of them, you may search in the forums and you'll get a lot of methods (towelroot, Pre-rooted ROMS..etc)

Second
Installing Custom Recovery.. you may find plenty of them here, but i suggest the best one NUT's Dual Recovery,it works for both Locked Bootloaders and Unlocked Bootloaders.. Here you'll find all recoveries for Xperia Devices, make sure to choose the one beginning with "ZR", and go the "Installer" way, much faster

Third
Flashing custom ROM, it depends on what you have [LB] or [UB]..
Locked Bootloader Devices can't run CyanogenMod or AOSP ROMs..etc, as it only allow Sony signed kernels.
Unlocked Bootloader Devices allow you to run any kind of ROMS even Stock ones, but you'll lose some features of the Stock one as you lose your DRM keys

For myself.. i'm running Rooted LB Stock 4.4.4, and previously i was using this ROM

Last edited:
Reactions: farafr

v7

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RC
May 17, 2014
Arkham
Use Flashtool to unlock the bootloader using SONY's official way..go to sony website and follow the steps there
Install the NUT's dual recovery using the installer..
Flash the pre rooted AOSP build :thumbup:;)

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Free mobile app

Mario.D

Aug 22, 2011
Gothenburg
www.consolemods.se
Use Flashtool to unlock the bootloader using SONY's official way..go to sony website and follow the steps there
Install the NUT's dual recovery using the installer..
Flash the pre rooted AOSP build :thumbup:;)

Sent from my Xperia Z using XDA Free mobile app

I would not recommend this approach as you will lose your drm keys.

Just follow one off many rooting guides wich you find on this forum.

After that take a backup of your TA partition with TA-Backup tool wich also can be found in this forum.

After this you can safely unlock the bootloader.

Skickat från min C5503 via Tapatalk

v7

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RC
May 17, 2014
Arkham
I would not recommend this approach as you will lose your drm keys.

Just follow one off many rooting guides wich you find on this forum.

After that take a backup of your TA partition with TA-Backup tool wich also can be found in this forum.

After this you can safely unlock the bootloader.

Skickat från min C5503 via Tapatalk

You can backup your DRM keys using BACKUP TA and restore if needed http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598:cool:

Sent from my Xperia ZR using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Hardwelling, Welcome to ZR Forums :)
    i was a samsung user one day so i know what you feel now :D
    For Sony Devices, to flash ".ftf" ROMs, flash kernels..etc , you should use Flashtool
    It's the same as ODIN.

First
    For Rooting your device you've several ways :
    1. Root the device without unlocking bootloader (you'll not be able to flash any other ROM not based on Sony Stock one)
    2. Root the device with unlocking the bootlader. (you'll lose your DRM Keys , however there are ways to Back them up, search xda for further information about DRM keys)

for both of them, you may search in the forums and you'll get a lot of methods (towelroot, Pre-rooted ROMS..etc)

Second
    Installing Custom Recovery.. you may find plenty of them here, but i suggest the best one NUT's Dual Recovery,it works for both Locked Bootloaders and Unlocked Bootloaders.. Here you'll find all recoveries for Xperia Devices, make sure to choose the one beginning with "ZR", and go the "Installer" way, much faster

Third
    Flashing custom ROM, it depends on what you have [LB] or [UB]..
    Locked Bootloader Devices can't run CyanogenMod or AOSP ROMs..etc, as it only allow Sony signed kernels.
    Unlocked Bootloader Devices allow you to run any kind of ROMS even Stock ones, but you'll lose some features of the Stock one as you lose your DRM keys

For myself.. i'm running Rooted LB Stock 4.4.4, and previously i was using this ROM