Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,760 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock apps with custom firmware

Tip us?

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Question [Q] Stock apps with custom firmware

Not sure if this should be here or in the General forums, but here goes, anyway.

I was wondering if it is possible (or advisable) to add in some of the stock apps that the ZR uses in a flashable custom ROM. I've tried two or three ROMS, finally settling on Carbon, but one thing I've consistently missed are some stock apps like the camera, Album, and Walkman. Mainly, I want the camera back. The AOSP camera is nowhere near as good as the Xperia's, and I would really like it back. I was thinking of extracting all the camera related apk's from the system folder of a stock .ftf I have, and putting it in the Carbon zip. I would like to know if anyone here as attempted something like this, before I try it out myself and potentially brick my device.

Thanks in advance,
SirVer

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Tried it out

I pulled the trigger and decided to try it out myself. Extracted all everything with the word "Camera" in it from the /system/app of the stock 4.1 Indian firmware, and stuck it in the Carbon flashable, and deleted the "Camera2.apk" from it. Flashed, rebooted, but Camera force closes. It may or may not work on a deodexed custom, but I don't have the time to test that right now. I might later, and I will post the result here, in case anyone needs it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirVer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t72e
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for testing this out. I have same problem - when I install custom ROM, I do miss the stock apps like Camera, Album, etc. For this reason I am back to stock now.

Do keep us posted on any further testing which you carry out regarding this.

chandansomani
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there any way to add some of major apps of Xperia To Cyanogen ? so we can flash that on our device.....
Devices : X10MiniPro (All Stock) -> Ion LT28H (Stock Rom, Rooted) -> Xperia ZR (Rooted, Stock Rom yet)