Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,360 Members 48,999 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stock apps with custom firmware

Tip us?

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question [Q] Stock apps with custom firmware

Not sure if this should be here or in the General forums, but here goes, anyway.

I was wondering if it is possible (or advisable) to add in some of the stock apps that the ZR uses in a flashable custom ROM. I've tried two or three ROMS, finally settling on Carbon, but one thing I've consistently missed are some stock apps like the camera, Album, and Walkman. Mainly, I want the camera back. The AOSP camera is nowhere near as good as the Xperia's, and I would really like it back. I was thinking of extracting all the camera related apk's from the system folder of a stock .ftf I have, and putting it in the Carbon zip. I would like to know if anyone here as attempted something like this, before I try it out myself and potentially brick my device.

Thanks in advance,
SirVer

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Tried it out

I pulled the trigger and decided to try it out myself. Extracted all everything with the word "Camera" in it from the /system/app of the stock 4.1 Indian firmware, and stuck it in the Carbon flashable, and deleted the "Camera2.apk" from it. Flashed, rebooted, but Camera force closes. It may or may not work on a deodexed custom, but I don't have the time to test that right now. I might later, and I will post the result here, in case anyone needs it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirVer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

t72e
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for testing this out. I have same problem - when I install custom ROM, I do miss the stock apps like Camera, Album, etc. For this reason I am back to stock now.

Do keep us posted on any further testing which you carry out regarding this.

chandansomani
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is there any way to add some of major apps of Xperia To Cyanogen ? so we can flash that on our device.....
Devices : X10MiniPro (All Stock) -> Ion LT28H (Stock Rom, Rooted) -> Xperia ZR (Rooted, Stock Rom yet)

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I found a Z2 app package (no camera, unfortunately) that works on any KK device. Flashed on Carbon and works good. I get the feeling that ClearAudio+ isn't working, because turning it on and off in the Walkman settings doesn't do anything, which means it's either permanently on or permanently off. The MP3 I tested was a bad quality one, and I don't have time to flash and reflash anymore, let alone take nandroids before each flash. I will get to testing it eventually, but until then if anyone could test it out and see if it really is working, I would greatly appreciate it.

sijav
Old
Thanks Meter 912

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVer View Post
I found a Z2 app package (no camera, unfortunately) that works on any KK device. Flashed on Carbon and works good. I get the feeling that ClearAudio+ isn't working, because turning it on and off in the Walkman settings doesn't do anything, which means it's either permanently on or permanently off. The MP3 I tested was a bad quality one, and I don't have time to flash and reflash anymore, let alone take nandroids before each flash. I will get to testing it eventually, but until then if anyone could test it out and see if it really is working, I would greatly appreciate it.
camera? => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2733776
History phone: Nokia 6680 (S60V2) (my first phone) -> Nokia 1210 :| (bad days) -> Nokia N95 (S60V3) (gave it away) -> Nokia 5530 (S60V5) (got stoled ) -> Nokia X6 (S60V5) (Wrecked) -> Xperia Sola (SOLD) -> Xperia P (Gave to my sister)
Current: Xperia ZR MIUI Stock Based 4.2.2 with LB bootloader

All about Xda!

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Will that work on an AOSP based ROM? It says it's for CM, which AFAIK is based on AOSP but with heavily modified base code, so I'm not too sure that it would work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I can confirm that the media apps along with ClearAudio+ are working perfectly on Carbon, and will probably work on other custom ROMs as well, except for PAC - installing the mod on PAC broke the back button on the navbar, at least in my case. I'm about to test the camera that sijav linked to (thanks for that!) - expect results within the next 12 hours. Also, I tested another Camera mod from the same dev earlier, and while it didn't break my phone, it didn't work (FC'd every time).

SirVer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Camera doesn't work, sadly. I'll keep looking for an Xperia camera that does.

Side note: The Z2 media apps work on the latest PAC nightly, but the Walkman audio becomes really low. I'd encountered this problem when I flashed it on Carbon, and had fixed it by deleting the Audioeffect.apk (or something like that) from system. That however, didn't work for PAC.