Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,632 Members 36,630 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android L Support

Tip us?
 
DaringDomino3s
Old
#21  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 77
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bradenton

 
DONATE TO ME
@rovo89
Quote:
*If* I ever support ART on KitKat, then I wouldn't want to maintain two totally different codebases.
I agree with @tonyp that sharing uncompiled code source for other development is a good idea, actually quite clever (fends off the hungry trolls - "if you give a mouse a cookie..." well same goes for some users, except its a much longer book and has the same characters saying saying similar or identical things only pages apart.

A benefit of this is that you may be able to find peoole willing to act as maintainers after a working compilation is created for the kk ART.

kind of like a port-friendly version for the devices that don't get developed officially or not past 4.4.

This would benefit in more than one way, users of devices that will not see development development past kitkat, while freeing you from too much overload if you were to covrer dalvik, kk ART AND the hopefully final runtime in the next official release.

I actually never knew L's runtime differed from the ART on KitKat, i thought kk's runtime was experimental in that they wanted to prepare developers for its future implenentation, rather than it was in experimental form its self (even though i read the cautionary explanation when switching to it in dev options) are there differences in dalvik runtimes between builds, as well?

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronto9 View Post
Why don't you keep L as a secondary rom(with MultiROM)? By doing so you can test xposed on L, and then switch to kitkat when you need your phone.
Seems a little too easy to me...

from what I've read and experienced, nothing is ever easy when it comes to debasing, not even testing...plus multirom is another variable that isn't necessarily stable and "L" can be a pain in the arse as a secondary rom with 4.4.4, as the user data can conflict with 4.4 when using L.
 
rovo89
Old
#22  
rovo89's Avatar
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13,945
Posts: 2,367
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringDomino3s View Post
I actually never knew L's runtime differed from the ART on KitKat, i thought kk's runtime was experimental in that they wanted to prepare developers for its future implenentation, rather than it was in experimental form its self (even though i read the cautionary explanation when switching to it in dev options) are there differences in dalvik runtimes between builds, as well?
Check the list of latest commits: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...rt/+log/master
I didn't bother to count them, but there have been hundreds (if not thousands) of commits since KitKat. Each of them could break the hacks done by Xposed to inject code. Some of them actually do. Even since the release of the L preview, there have been lots of commits, e.g. the compacting garbage collector which might need to be considered.

Dalvik was more mature and stable. And it was mainly functional programming, whereas ART is highly object-oriented. As there is no stable "API" for accessing the internals, that's much harder to work with than Dalvik.
Tired of updating your mod for every new ROM release?
You want give users the possibility to combine different mods without creating tons of different files for all possible combinations?
Then have a look at my Xposed framework - modifications without APK changes!
 
DaringDomino3s
Old
#23  
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 77
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bradenton

 
DONATE TO ME
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovo89 View Post
Check the list of latest commits: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...rt/+log/master
I didn't bother to count them, but there have been hundreds (if not thousands) of commits since KitKat. Each of them could break the hacks done by Xposed to inject code. Some of them actually do. Even since the release of the L preview, there have been lots of commits, e.g. the compacting garbage collector which might need to be considered.

Dalvik was more mature and stable. And it was mainly functional programming, whereas ART is highly object-oriented. As there is no stable "API" for accessing the internals, that's much harder to work with than Dalvik.


@rovo89 how are these commits https://android.googlesource.com/pla...ik/+log/master different from those you linked me to? There are many of them as well in dalvik, are these commits that do not interfere with your 'hacks'?

That was simply a question for my personal understanding. No point being made, for the record.

I admit I don't know too much about the actual workings of Xposed framework, but I understand thst the active nature of art in its own way would require a more complex set of hacks.

My suggestion was merely to pass the buck on to others for this current experimental kk art after a more formal version of art is emploed. It appears to not be that simple...I mean due to ARTs nature, I assume. I still see dalvik references in L, though, which is confusing to me.

An uninformed wish is that either the new runtime will be cleaned up enough so that a solution comes to you or that someone will just hack the new release to allow dalvik runtime instead. >magic!<

Was Xposed originally difficult to come up with for dalvik?
 
jukiewalsh
Old
#24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 77
Posts: 368
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
@rovo89 just want to say thanks for all the work you do. People let's not complain about it not being "fair" that he hasn't released a version yet. It's his framework, he'll release it when he's good and ready. People are either going to be complaining that it's not available or they're going to be complaining about it not working if an unfinished product is released. I guess asking for unfinished source would be a reasonable inquiry but only for real devs who want to learn (not me by far, I wish I had skills haha) but rovo don't be guilt tripped into releasing some bs, just ignore it and let the trolls continue to ask for eta's on a daily basis all the way leading up to release even though their question's already been answered.
The Following User Says Thank You to jukiewalsh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Massi-X
Old
#25  
Member
Thanks Meter 177
Posts: 52
Join Date: Nov 2013
@rovo89 could you add an option for make coffee?
I asked this for year but you never hear me.Thanks!

PS.Ahahh in every case thanks for your work this is only for relaxing :P
If my english is bad,very very sorry
 
rovo89
Old
#26  
rovo89's Avatar
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13,945
Posts: 2,367
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringDomino3s View Post
@rovo89 how are these commits https://android.googlesource.com/pla...ik/+log/master different from those you linked me to? There are many of them as well in dalvik, are these commits that do not interfere with your 'hacks'?
If you check the bottom of the first page, you will see that it shows changes of 6 months for Dalvik. For ART, it's 5 days. That's quite a big difference in the pure amount of changes.

Apart from that, Dalvik is used by pretty much every Android phone out there (except for a few developers). You think twice before making big change to such a widely used software, and they shouldn't be necessary for stable software. For ART, it's the other way around: It's not used widely yet, so it's less risky to make changes. It will be used widely, so it's a good opportunity to make them now. And ART isn't finished yet (e.g. the compacting garbage collector wasn't in the L preview), so these changes are also necessary.
Tired of updating your mod for every new ROM release?
You want give users the possibility to combine different mods without creating tons of different files for all possible combinations?
Then have a look at my Xposed framework - modifications without APK changes!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rovo89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
toggly
Old
#27  
toggly's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Aug 2011
@rovo89, excellent work on Xposed - it is by far one of the best! Are you or will you be looking for users to help test Xposed on Android L?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes