CyanogenMod 12.1 for Android One

Android One devices once again got a pretty stable release of Android 5.1. XDA Recognized … more

DexPatcher: Patch Android APKs Using Java

You’ve probably seen or installed modified applications, be it a patched dialer for your … more

Is Cloud Storage Ready to Replace External Storage?

With more and more OEMs ditching SD cards on their flagships, cloud storage is … more

Customized Ultra Stamina for Xperia

XDA Senior Member androidexpert35 has provided us a customized Ultra Stamine Mode from the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Feature Request: Install Without Root

17th February 2015, 05:19 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Yes I have read the FAQ, and I still think this is possible, if you install via custom recovery.
Currently the flashable zip generation requires root access. If there is any way to generate that flashable zip file without root then only a custom recovery would be required to install Xposed, as a custom recovery can write to /system without needing root. Since I am currently installing root only to install Xposed and then immediately removing it I would greatly appreciate an install option that doesn't require me going through the rooting process.

So my request is for the two recovery installation options not require root to generate the zip file. Thank you.
17th February 2015, 06:16 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 834

797 posts
More
Open recovery, flash ZIP file.

You don't need at all.
17th February 2015, 06:48 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
That part I know. Once I have the flashable zip file I am fine. However, on my phone I cannot create the flashable zip file without root. It just fails. Hence my request.
17th February 2015, 08:26 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 84

251 posts
Stupid question, but can you install recovery without root?
17th February 2015, 08:33 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 215

208 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeveraux

Stupid question, but can you install recovery without root?

Yes, some manufacturers include recoveries pre-installed, but those often have restricted functionality.
Also, recovery can be installed on some phones without root with the use of a PC (again, it's brand-dependant).
And finally, a few (too few) manufacturers ship their devices with unlocked bootloader which means you can do anything you want with them.
17th February 2015, 09:44 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XspeedPL

Yes, some manufacturers include recoveries pre-installed, but those often have restricted functionality.
Also, recovery can be installed on some phones without root with the use of a PC (again, it's brand-dependant).
And finally, a few (too few) manufacturers ship their devices with unlocked bootloader which means you can do anything you want with them.

Yep. I personally have an HTC device and they allow anyone to unlock their bootloader by filling out a form on their website. Once the bootloader is unlocked no root is required to flash a custom recovery. That is how I typically run my device no root but custom recovery. Occasionally, I revert to stock recovery to install a system update. Then I run into this issue where I have to root just to reactivate Xposed, then unroot again. I would much prefer to avoid the root/unroot part of reactivating Xposed.

I'm hoping that since it is only creating the zip file that I am asking about this is a quick and easy change.
17th February 2015, 09:54 PM |#7  
Flag Santa Cruz do Rio Pardo
Thanks Meter: 18

85 posts
More
Quote:

In Moto G you can install a custom recovery and mount /system and /data (I need a custom recovery to flash SuperSU.zip), so, I think it's possible.
18th February 2015, 12:50 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 84

251 posts
Quote:

Not the stock recoveries, installed recoveries. I didn't think you could install TWRP or CWM without root.
18th February 2015, 01:17 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 215

208 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Not the stock recoveries, installed recoveries. I didn't think you could install TWRP or CWM without root.

Have you heard of flashtool or Odin? :P
Using flashmode/fastboot you can do more than with root.
18th February 2015, 09:45 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:

I have installed both without root multiple times. Here are a few guides.
Nexus Devices (Note rooting comes after custom recovery is installed.)
General Advice (Note: First option requires root, second two do not.)

In general as long as you can unlock your bootloader no root is required. I have only ever purchased Android devices that let me unlock the bootloader, so I have always gone that route.

Again for my feature request though I just want the flashable zip generation to not require root. That (hopefully minor) change would allow a completely root free use of Xposed. Which would be wonderful for me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread