Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Feature request] XPOSED modules updates automatic check and notifications..

OP MA7MOOOD

20th July 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
This probably has been discussed before, but why does the Xposed installer app only check for updates for installed modules when manually opening the app? And if it's continuously checking then why doesn't it notify me when there's an update.. Sorry for bothering especially if someone's asked about it before.
20th July 2014, 12:53 PM   |  #2  
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 15,376

2,386 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA7MOOOD

This probably has been discussed before, but why does the Xposed installer app only check for updates for installed modules when manually opening the app?

Because update checks generate traffic, both on the server side (more than 1 TB in June!) and on your data plan. I have made some changes in 2.7 experimental1 to reduce the traffic (by introducing delta repository index updates, but still, it's significant. Background checking should probably have a WiFi-only setting, you might want to repeat missed checks once you connect to WiFi the next time, it would require wakeups/alarms etc.

So on the one hand, it's a matter of traffic, on the other hand a matter of effort for the implementation. I'm not saying that it won't be coming some days, but probably not in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA7MOOOD

And if it's continuously checking then why doesn't it notify me when there's an update..

It's not checking continously for the reasons mentioned above.
20th July 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 933

1,798 posts
Update update checks and notifications would be nice.
To save traffic, just place the .xml with module names and version somewhere, eg github

Implementation is easy:
Catch "boot" event, set a timer to eg 4 hours.
In the timer
- check version
- notification if new versions
- set it again to 4 hours
Done
21st July 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

143 posts
I just started (and loving) xposed ; what do you do inside the installer to have it check for module updates? When i open it I see no option for this. Is it completely automatic each time you open the installer?
21st July 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 9

100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal_Master

I just started (and loving) xposed ; what do you do inside the installer to have it check for module updates? When i open it I see no option for this. Is it completely automatic each time you open the installer?

Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to guetzli32 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread