Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 42,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APK][Xposed] resOverloader - Overload applications res files

Tip us?
 
siva710
Old
#61  
siva710's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 12
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default Unable to use with Gingerbread 2.3.6 :(

Bro, My phone has Xposed GB framework installed. I downloaded resOverloader v2.0 and tried to install it. But It said, "There is an error while parsing the application". Pls help me.
 
afridi.shahriar
Old
#62  
afridi.shahriar's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 55
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuilyas View Post
Hello community,
I'm very glad to share my first trial of development which ran successfully for me and hope this will be useful for the rest.

I'm a big fan of a few chinese apps (baidu cloud, weiyun). Previously I was able to decompose and translate these apks to english until vendors injected apk signature validations into their apps. I even used these apps in foreign language but the experience were annoying. So I decided to translate these apps with some development. Eventually I came across resXploit by WisdomSky which give me a clue and I started this and it works .

Basically resOverloader overloads strings.xml file for any apk (application). Source code is hosted on github for other devs to incorporate other resources as well. I'm not experienced dev and sharing this here for others and further development.

How to setup
  1. Extract strings.xml from your target apk using apktool. read more
  2. Translate strings.xml to your language. (I had developed a tool for it and would share it later)
  3. Now create resOverloader folder in sdcard.
  4. Find your app full qualified name in applications under settings and create a folder with app full name. (eg. com.baidu.netdisk)
  5. Now copy the translated strings.xml to app folder inside resOverloader.
  6. Restart your phone and it is done.

Hope this will help starters and requesting experience devs to add arrays.xml to this.

Github: https://github.com/babuilyas/resOverloader

Change log:
2.0 : rebuilt with targetSDK 14 and it should work for 2.2+ now. pls confirm.


Thank you for reading... Cheers.
Sorry to say,that,after enabling this module, i (mt6589 chipset, aosp/stock4.2.2) get something near to bootlop, it takes 10 mins to boot!!! After completed booting it automatically hangs and restart within few mins. I just have enabled this module,i dont modified any strings though!! Plz fix this issue
 
babuilyas
Old
#63  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 34
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Karachi

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by afridi.shahriar View Post
Sorry to say,that,after enabling this module, i (mt6589 chipset, aosp/stock4.2.2) get something near to bootlop, it takes 10 mins to boot!!! After completed booting it automatically hangs and restart within few mins. I just have enabled this module,i dont modified any strings though!! Plz fix this issue
pls share logcat and xposed log. I don't expect this behaviour due to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva710 View Post
Bro, My phone has Xposed GB framework installed. I downloaded resOverloader v2.0 and tried to install it. But It said, "There is an error while parsing the application". Pls help me.
I tried and compiled it with lower target sdk and you reported it does't work on GB. the sources are on github, and i would suggests rebuilt it for your device. this requires little efforts. I had hdd crash and lost much of my data.
LG E970 (geep)
Nexus 7 (grouper)
Xperia Ray (urushi)

(pls don't hesitate to Click Thanks if I helped)
 
mrjoy
Old
#64  
mrjoy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 1,258
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Heaven Of Punjab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afridi.shahriar View Post
Sorry to say,that,after enabling this module, i (mt6589 chipset, aosp/stock4.2.2) get something near to bootlop, it takes 10 mins to boot!!! After completed booting it automatically hangs and restart within few mins. I just have enabled this module,i dont modified any strings though!! Plz fix this issue
+1
 
TheTAMAS
Old
#65  
TheTAMAS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 202
Join Date: Mar 2014
Smile Humble request

Please could anyone translate the Chinese to English inside this app here-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oo360.smartkey


I know there's an app called Klick offering similar functions but this app offers better functions than Klick (or the DRM protected Pressy for that case)..
Skip typing - hit instead..
My work-
 
Man of Steel Glance View
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088MH_uvQSw

Man of Steel Boot & Shutdown Animation
http://youtu.be/jihxMLJAZDI
Charge Plantronics Voyager Edge with Earloop on
http://tiny.cc/vbpokx


Next Device-Note 4 Black+128 GB SDXC
Current Device-Note 3 Black+128 GB SDXC
Note 3 White <- Lava XOLO A800 <- Karbonn K4+ Titan <- Nokia n73 <- MAXX MQ340 <- LG GS105 <- Huawei C5300
 
Jack Phoenix
Old
#66  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
@babuilyas: Thank you for the great app and for publishing it under a free and open source license!

I have a request for assistance, but first, some boring background info and whatnot. As we all know, Android is multi-lingual and definitely speaks my native language, Finnish, but in an ironic twist of fate, Nokia's fork of it ("Nokia X software platform") mostly does not. Some apps (Store, Swype keyboard) have bits and pieces of Finnish left in, but it's fair to say that the Nokia X family of devices just do not support Finnish out-of-the-box.

I had installed MoreLocale 2 earlier on to test out some third-party apps' Finnish translations and potentially to improve them. Later on I rooted the device with Framaroot, installed Xposed Framework and resOverloader. Translating stuff -- and pulling in some translations from Google's official strings.xml files for each system app -- took a fair while, but today the project was in a decent shape so I finally decided to try it out.

Great success? Not quite, I'm afraid. After fiddling a bit with MoreLocale 2 -- I had to switch the system language from Finnish to something else and then back to Finnish to refresh caches or something -- the Launcher UI is mostly translated; the "Search" bar on the main Launcher menu as well as Fastlane aren't, for some reason, although I know there are corresponding translations in the relevant strings.xml files. Email app seems to be fully using the translations, whereas Phone or People, let alone Settings, aren't. Likewise the pulldown menu isn't translated (it's probably a part of Settings or SystemUI, can't remember which one).
UPDATE: So there's some sorta weird caching going on in here. After visiting Phone for the second time, the initial menu showed correctly translated strings, but in the settings menu "Turn on proximity sensor" and whatnot are still in English, despite that I've translated those into Finnish in the strings.xml file that resOverloader should load/loads. Settings doesn't display anything in Finnish, though. The Camera app is also buggy in that it displays the option names in Finnish, but options like "Level 5" or "Internal storage" are displayed in English

Also, when are "double quotes" appropriate in a strings.xml file? Google's official translations wrap like all strings in those, like this:
Code:
<string name="foo">"This is a cool message."</string>
But it seems that the Nokia X -- or at least its Store app -- doesn't like that and the "double quotes" are displayed, too, in addition to the message.

I can post Xposed logs if necessary, although there's nothing exciting going on in there -- just a bunch of "resOverloader found app <app name>" lines for the most part. Likewise I'm more than happy to publish my translations on GitHub -- I just wanted to beta test them first and fix the most obvious, glaring typos before publishing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Phoenix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
babuilyas
Old
#67  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 34
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Karachi

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Phoenix View Post
@babuilyas: Thank you for the great app and for publishing it under a free and open source license!

I have a request for assistance, but first, some boring background info and whatnot. As we all know, Android is multi-lingual and definitely speaks my native language, Finnish, but in an ironic twist of fate, Nokia's fork of it ("Nokia X software platform") mostly does not. Some apps (Store, Swype keyboard) have bits and pieces of Finnish left in, but it's fair to say that the Nokia X family of devices just do not support Finnish out-of-the-box.

I had installed MoreLocale 2 earlier on to test out some third-party apps' Finnish translations and potentially to improve them. Later on I rooted the device with Framaroot, installed Xposed Framework and resOverloader. Translating stuff -- and pulling in some translations from Google's official strings.xml files for each system app -- took a fair while, but today the project was in a decent shape so I finally decided to try it out.

Great success? Not quite, I'm afraid. After fiddling a bit with MoreLocale 2 -- I had to switch the system language from Finnish to something else and then back to Finnish to refresh caches or something -- the Launcher UI is mostly translated; the "Search" bar on the main Launcher menu as well as Fastlane aren't, for some reason, although I know there are corresponding translations in the relevant strings.xml files. Email app seems to be fully using the translations, whereas Phone or People, let alone Settings, aren't. Likewise the pulldown menu isn't translated (it's probably a part of Settings or SystemUI, can't remember which one).
UPDATE: So there's some sorta weird caching going on in here. After visiting Phone for the second time, the initial menu showed correctly translated strings, but in the settings menu "Turn on proximity sensor" and whatnot are still in English, despite that I've translated those into Finnish in the strings.xml file that resOverloader should load/loads. Settings doesn't display anything in Finnish, though. The Camera app is also buggy in that it displays the option names in Finnish, but options like "Level 5" or "Internal storage" are displayed in English

Also, when are "double quotes" appropriate in a strings.xml file? Google's official translations wrap like all strings in those, like this:
Code:
<string name="foo">"This is a cool message."</string>
But it seems that the Nokia X -- or at least its Store app -- doesn't like that and the "double quotes" are displayed, too, in addition to the message.

I can post Xposed logs if necessary, although there's nothing exciting going on in there -- just a bunch of "resOverloader found app <app name>" lines for the most part. Likewise I'm more than happy to publish my translations on GitHub -- I just wanted to beta test them first and fix the most obvious, glaring typos before publishing.
Thanks Jack Phoenix for thorough testing resOverloader for wide range of system apps and settings. I haven't test it on settings nor system apks yet as I was very focused to translate chinese apks to english. It actually replaces apk's string.xml content with your content and sometimes when the target apk logic/process is dependent upon content of res' string.xml then we get undefined errors and FC. So when you get unexpected error in any apk try to see logcat and remove the target resource key from your string.xml.
As it works based on xposed framework, so i dont exactly how it manages cache of thousands of overloads and ofcourse thousands of lines for several apks may to lead to caching issues... Thanks again.
LG E970 (geep)
Nexus 7 (grouper)
Xperia Ray (urushi)

(pls don't hesitate to Click Thanks if I helped)
 
Jack Phoenix
Old
(Last edited by Jack Phoenix; 14th August 2014 at 10:34 PM.) Reason: Added new findings
#68  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 12
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuilyas View Post
Thanks Jack Phoenix for thorough testing resOverloader for wide range of system apps and settings. I haven't test it on settings nor system apks yet as I was very focused to translate chinese apks to english. It actually replaces apk's string.xml content with your content and sometimes when the target apk logic/process is dependent upon content of res' string.xml then we get undefined errors and FC. So when you get unexpected error in any apk try to see logcat and remove the target resource key from your string.xml.
As it works based on xposed framework, so i dont exactly how it manages cache of thousands of overloads and ofcourse thousands of lines for several apks may to lead to caching issues... Thanks again.
The attached .txt file contains "adb logcat" output. It's totally unfiltered and as such, almost 10k lines long. There are 31 matches for "Xposed" and 11 matches for "resOverloader".

After posting my previous message, I googled for instructions on how to wipe Dalvik cache (and unsurprisingly enough, ended back on XDA ) and did that; interestingly enough it didn't help, but rather it removed a few translations. Strange.

As for Settings, the app name in Launcher is translated, and a few other components/screens seem to be, namely:
  • Settings > Feedback to Nokia (package name com.nokia.feedbacktonokia)
  • Settings > About phone > Status (the screen which contains the device's baseband version, uptime, etc.)
  • Settings > About phone > System updates (package name com.nokia.update)
  • Settings > Mobile data and networks
  • Settings > Dual SIM

As mentioned in my previous post, some apps seem to randomly be using the strings provided by resOverloader, i.e. sometimes they use those strings and sometimes not. Phone and Contacts are totally in English after a reboot, whereas Messaging is always in Finnish (well, save for the three options -- "Always", "Only when silent" and "Never" -- in the Settings menu, under "Vibrate").

Any and all ideas, suggestions and thoughts are very much welcome, as I'd rather not give up on the idea of Finnish Nokia X just yet, given how close to completition the project is.

UPDATE: I went to Settings > Apps > Manage apps > All, chose an individual app (like "Email") to bring up the "App info" screen and pressed "Clear data". This is probably a radical measure -- too radical if this phone were my daily driver -- but since this phone is essentially empty, save for a few (FOSS) custom apps, resOverloader strings (which are backed up on my computer, too) and some screenshots, I was able to do that. Purging the caches this way made the Launcher, People/Contacts and Email show up in Finnish -- especially funny for Launcher, because I don't recall purging its cache, but rather that of a different app. Phone's main screen shows up in Finnish, but Call settings window doesn't. And, ah, Settings itself is a pesky one...
Attached Files
File Type: txt logcat-14-Aug-2014.txt - [Click for QR Code] (421.5 KB, 0 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Phoenix For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
babuilyas
Old
#69  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 34
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Karachi

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Phoenix View Post
The attached .txt file contains "adb logcat" output. It's totally unfiltered and as such, almost 10k lines long. There are 31 matches for "Xposed" and 11 matches for "resOverloader".

After posting my previous message, I googled for instructions on how to wipe Dalvik cache (and unsurprisingly enough, ended back on XDA ) and did that; interestingly enough it didn't help, but rather it removed a few translations. Strange.

As for Settings, the app name in Launcher is translated, and a few other components/screens seem to be, namely:
  • Settings > Feedback to Nokia (package name com.nokia.feedbacktonokia)
  • Settings > About phone > Status (the screen which contains the device's baseband version, uptime, etc.)
  • Settings > About phone > System updates (package name com.nokia.update)
  • Settings > Mobile data and networks
  • Settings > Dual SIM

As mentioned in my previous post, some apps seem to randomly be using the strings provided by resOverloader, i.e. sometimes they use those strings and sometimes not. Phone and Contacts are totally in English after a reboot, whereas Messaging is always in Finnish (well, save for the three options -- "Always", "Only when silent" and "Never" -- in the Settings menu, under "Vibrate").

Any and all ideas, suggestions and thoughts are very much welcome, as I'd rather not give up on the idea of Finnish Nokia X just yet, given how close to completition the project is.

UPDATE: I went to Settings > Apps > Manage apps > All, chose an individual app (like "Email") to bring up the "App info" screen and pressed "Clear data". This is probably a radical measure -- too radical if this phone were my daily driver -- but since this phone is essentially empty, save for a few (FOSS) custom apps, resOverloader strings (which are backed up on my computer, too) and some screenshots, I was able to do that. Purging the caches this way made the Launcher, People/Contacts and Email show up in Finnish -- especially funny for Launcher, because I don't recall purging its cache, but rather that of a different app. Phone's main screen shows up in Finnish, but Call settings window doesn't. And, ah, Settings itself is a pesky one...
thanks for sharing your project updates. keep it up... messing with different sys apk will reveal more to you... best of luck
LG E970 (geep)
Nexus 7 (grouper)
Xperia Ray (urushi)

(pls don't hesitate to Click Thanks if I helped)
 
sarvesvara.dasa
Old
#70  
sarvesvara.dasa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 351
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dubai, UAE
Nice work...

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Can you please share the xml for Baidu application?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes