FORUMS

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more

Galaxy S6 Weekly Shooting Challenge

Over in our forums this weekend, XDA Forum member DevonSloan has started a thread for talented … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Mod][Xposed][v1.2.0] VolumeSteps+ | Control your volume more precisely!

22nd September 2014, 11:59 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,045

Donate to Me
More
Introduction
The main goal of this Xposed module is to change the number of volume steps on your device. When listening to music, 15 steps just wasn't precise enough for me. There is an Xposed Module for this, but it isn't supported anymore, and not open source. This made me create this module, VolumeSteps+ aims to be an open source, user-friendly and configurable module to adjust the number of volume steps. It is able to adjust the number of volumesteps for multiple streams and more.

Features
  • Change the number of volume steps for the alarm, music, notification, ringer, system and in-call streams.
  • Ability to change it to somewhere between 5 and 50 steps.
  • Automatically changes the safe headset volume warning to comply with the new number of music steps.
  • Completely disable the safe headset volume warning.
  • Use the music volume as default for the Volume Panel when pressing the volume buttons.
  • More to come, request it!

Screenshots

Compatibility
This module is compatible with ICS (4.0) and higher. It's not working correctly on most Samsung and some HTC Stock roms, because they heavily changed the audio implementation. There's nothing I can do about it and support can't be added unfortunately, read my official statement. For LG devices running stock KitKat roms, there's a compatibility mode option in the settings you need to enable. It probably is compatible with Gingerbread, but is untested and unsupported. Xposed Framework needs to be installed.

Download
Download from the Xposed Module Repository
http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.p1ngu1n.volumesteps

Source
Source code can be found on GitHub and is published under the GNU GPL v3 license.
https://github.com/P1nGu1n/VolumeSteps

Problems/feedback

Having any problems?
  • Make sure you've rebooted your phone after making changes.
  • Make sure the module is enabled in Xposed Installer and you rebooted afterwards.
  • Make sure you're using the most recent version.

Still not solved?
  1. First look in the next paragraph for known bugs.
  2. Send me your Xposed Log (found in Xposed Installer). It might give me a clue about what's going on.
  3. Mention your manufacturer, phone type, the rom you're using, which version of the rom, which Android version and what doesn't work. Your rom might be imcompatible because of adjustments made by its manufacturer.

Are there any known bugs?
  • No bugs known!
  • It's not working correctly on most Samsung and some HTC Stock roms, because they heavily changed the audio implementation. There's nothing I can do about it and support can't be added unfortunately, read my official statement.

Any comments, requests or questions?
  • I'm open to feedback, just say it!
  • If you want a feature to be added and asked it nicely, I will consider it.
  • If you have any questions or comments, name it this thread.

Thanks
Finally
Please report back if you have any issues or feature requests. I'll be glad to help and to improve VolumeSteps+ more.
Before you ask a question, report a problem of say it's not working, please read the entire OP.

Even though everything I release is carefully tested, I can't guarantee nothing will ever go wrong. Use at your own risk!

If you're enjoying this module, donations are highly appreciated.

XDA:DevDB Information
VolumeSteps+, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
P1nGu1n_
Source Code: https://github.com/P1nGu1n/VolumeSteps

Xposed Package Name: com.p1ngu1n.volumesteps

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v1.2.0
Stable Release Date: 2014-11-11

Created 2014-09-23
Last Updated 2015-01-03
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-01-03-20-37-15.png
Views:	1222
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	3096521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-01-03-20-37-26.png
Views:	1232
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	3096522  
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to P1nGu1n_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]

22nd September 2014, 11:59 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Changelog
Updates can be downloaded from Xposed Installer.

v1.2.0 - 2014-11-11
  • Compatibility mode for LG devices running stock KitKat roms, thanks to P_Toti for his help! There's an option in the settings to enable it.
  • Added support for changing the system volume steps
  • French translation by Micks29
  • Greek translation by Vagelis1608
  • Small internal improvements

v1.1.0 - 2014-09-28
  • Fixed ICS and Jelly Bean compatibility, I'm sorry for this! All my devices run KitKat. (Gingerbread probably works too, but this is untested and unsupported)
  • Option to use the music volume as default for the Volume Panel when pressing the volume buttons
  • The dialog for setting the volume steps now increments by steps of 1
  • Added support for changing the notification volume steps
  • Internal changes and improvements
  • Russian translation, thanks Roman!

v1.0.0 - 2014-09-23
  • Initial release, please let me know what you think of this module!
Last edited by P1nGu1n_; 11th November 2014 at 08:03 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P1nGu1n_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd September 2014, 11:59 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Announcements
STATUS UPDATE 2014-09-28

Samsung and HTC issues
I looked into the problems Samsung users have on stock roms. I decompiled a few of sammy's framework and it looks like they changed A LOT. They added all kinds of bull****, for example new volume streams like FM-Radio and Video calling. We already have a stream for music and in-call volume, what's the use of volume streams dedicated to FM-Radio or video calling :confused: Unfortunately, no support will and can be added. Please don't report issues on stock Samsung roms anymore, there's nothing I can do about it... :(
Last edited by P1nGu1n_; 28th September 2014 at 12:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to P1nGu1n_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd September 2014, 02:18 AM |#4  
Flag Montpellier
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Thumbs up
Great idea for this mod. Works perfectly on my Xperia Z1 4.4.4.

I've a suggestion, can you had a notification volume parameter because in the mod GravityBox there is a parameter to separate ringtone volume and notifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to jose404 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd September 2014, 02:39 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose404

I've a suggestion, can you had a notification volume parameter because in the mod GravityBox there is a parameter to separate ringtone volume and notifications.

Thanks for your feedback! Do I understand you correct that you're using GravityBox to separate those two, and are willing to change the number of steps for the notification volume using this module? Could be implemented, I just have to find a way to do it elegant, so it isn't going to bother users not having them unlinked.
23rd September 2014, 04:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose404

Plus one for that feature request! It's my only gripe with an otherwise flawless mod. Thanks OP!

Also thought I should mention, the link in the changelog goes to the SnapShare thread, not this one :P

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Also I should mention that this works just fine on my VZW HTC One M8 running SkyFall ROM

The Following User Says Thank You to sparky_005 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd September 2014, 06:34 AM |#7  
Flag 23.7000 N, 90.3750 E
Thanks Meter: 363

More
@P1nGu1n_ any chance of supporting gingerbread plz?
23rd September 2014, 07:13 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_005

Plus one for that feature request! It's my only gripe with an otherwise flawless mod. Thanks OP!

Also thought I should mention, the link in the changelog goes to the SnapShare thread, not this one :P

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Also I should mention that this works just fine on my VZW HTC One M8 running SkyFall ROM

Thanks for your feedback, it'll be added! Woops, copy pasted one link too much ;p
Quote:
Originally Posted by killoid

@P1nGu1n_ any chance of supporting gingerbread plz?

I think it will be compatible, so probably yes

Sent from my phone, please forgive any tpyos.
The Following User Says Thank You to P1nGu1n_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd September 2014, 07:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Unfortunately the increased number of Music volume steps doesn't work on my Galaxy Note 3 N9005 stock odexed GNG1. Tried it with 90, 75 and 60 steps (with reboots of course) but unsuccessfully. The ringer steps work perfectly.
23rd September 2014, 07:55 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1962

Unfortunately the increased number of Music volume steps doesn't work on my Galaxy Note 3 N9005 stock odexed GNG1. Tried it with 90, 75 and 60 steps (with reboots of course) but unsuccessfully. The ringer steps work perfectly.

From previous volume hacks, I remember it often didn't work in Samsung roms, they modified the audio part in their rom for some reason. Could you please upload /system/framework/framework.jar? I'll decompile it and will than be able to investigate their changes. I don't know if it can be solved yet.

Sent from my phone, please forgive any tpyos.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
volume, volume steps, volumesteps+, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread