10th September 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA
Thanks Meter: 49

112 posts
More
overflow:hidden;
AKA Remove Action Overflow Button

"Because naming your module after a CSS rule is fashionable and socially acceptable!"

A simple module that completely removes the action overflow button from various apps. Useful for people that have a hardware menu button on their device and don't want to see the superfluous button on action bars.

This is similar to another module: "Noverflow" by el1t. However, my implementation should be more thorough in removing the overflow button from sometimes-stingy apps, such as Google Chrome.

Only tested on 4.4 CM-based ROMs, but it should work on previous versions of Android (anything 4.0 ICS or newer should be okay), as well as ROMs that aren't CM-based. If not, let me know and I'll try to resolve the problem.

Thank you to GravityBox for originally implementing the important lines of code!

Instructions:

Download, install, enable and reboot. No configuration interface included, nor is one necessary.

Changelog:

Code:
v1.0:
Initial release

v1.1:
- Removed overflow button in AOSP calculator app (thanks, Micks29!)
- Added try/catch blocks for safety
- Bumped up minSdkVersion to 14 (will change if I can make older Android versions compatible)
- Minor addition to app description string

v1.2:
- New name and icon!
- Only attempt to hook methods if user's version of Android has original methods properly implemented

v1.3:
- Removed overflow button in AOSP browser app (thanks, a4apple!)
- General project clean-up (APK file size has been significantly reduced and leftovers from previous project name have been purged)
- Compile project based on Java 1.7 to make use of some handy new development techniques
- Added TODO notes within project's source to inform anyone interested in my pending tasks

v1.4:
- Ensure the overflow button in AOSP browser app is correctly being removed
- Change a few fields to help prevent the overflow button from being shown in some apps, in some cases
- Use the latest Xposed API (d'oh!)

v1.41:
- Found and removed yet another instance of the overflow button in the AOSP browser app
Download:

http://repo.xposed.info/module/me.jj...overflowbutton

Source:

https://github.com/JJohnson1988/overflow-hidden
Last edited by JJohnson1988; 8th November 2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Thread title cleanup
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JJohnson1988 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #2  
Flag 23.7000° N, 90.3750° E
Thanks Meter: 294

995 posts
More
@JJohnson1988 can u implement gingerbread support plz?
10th September 2014, 08:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA

112 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by killoid

@JJohnson1988 can u implement gingerbread support plz?

I thought Google forced the overflow button in Android versions that came /after/ Gingerbread. And I also forgot that a back-port of Xposed for Gingerbread even exists.

I can lower the minimum required version of the module, but if that doesn't work for you, I'll try to implement a workaround.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
The Following User Says Thank You to JJohnson1988 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 09:06 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA

112 posts
More
On second thought, I don't think lowering the minimum SDK version would help. Here's what I found out:

Google didn't implement the necessary classes that the module hooks into until 4.0 ICS (for one of the hooks) and 4.1 JB (for the other hook). So whatever apps you're using on 2.3 GB must have their own non-standardized implementations to display the overflow button.

Which apps in particular are you having trouble with?
10th September 2014, 09:15 AM   |  #5  
Flag 23.7000° N, 90.3750° E
Thanks Meter: 294

995 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson1988

On second thought, I don't think lowering the minimum SDK version would help. Here's what I found out:

Google didn't implement the necessary classes that the module hooks into until 4.0 ICS (for one of the hooks) and 4.1 JB (for the other hook). So whatever apps you're using on 2.3 GB must have their own non-standardized implementations to display the overflow button.

Which apps in particular are you having trouble with?

in telegram messenger. i contacted them to include an option to remove that menu button if one's device has a hardware menu button. still didn't get that,so i thought this module might help.
The Following User Says Thank You to killoid For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA

112 posts
More
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it for you.
10th September 2014, 11:11 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA

112 posts
More
You may be in luck.

Certain action bar features are able to work in older Android versions due to a support library, and I'm pretty positive Telegram Messenger uses ActionBarSherlock to obtain this compatibility.

http://actionbarsherlock.com/

It's pretty common, so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I'm also going to experiment with Daniele Segato's v7 support library tomorrow as well.

https://github.com/danielesegato/and...r/v7/appcompat
Last edited by JJohnson1988; 10th September 2014 at 11:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJohnson1988 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th September 2014, 11:21 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 420

821 posts
It's possible to remove 3-dots button in calculator app please?
Using Noverflow for now but 3-dots button in calculator app still here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-10-11-15-17.png
Views:	407
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	2931639  
10th September 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA

112 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micks29

It's possible to remove 3-dots button in calculator app please?
Using Noverflow for now but 3-dots button in calculator app still here!

Thanks. I'll look into that as well.

Let me know if there are any other base apps with the overflow button still visible.
10th September 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Roseville, CA

112 posts
More
Well, I couldn't sleep and decided to get my coding on.

v1.1 changelog:
- Removed overflow button in AOSP calculator app (thanks, Micks29!)
- Added try/catch blocks for safety
- Bumped up minSdkVersion to 14 (will change if I can make older Android versions compatible)
- Minor addition to app description string

Looks like you got your wish, Micks29!

Actually, do me a favor and test out the calculator app with v1.1. I'm pretty certain the button is removed now, but when I uninstalled the module to verify certain apps were again displaying the overflow button, the button that normally shows up in the calculator is still missing. Not that I'm complaining, but it's not the behavior I was expecting.
Last edited by JJohnson1988; 10th September 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
action, button, module, overflow, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread