5,596,179 Members 33,935 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0.3+ & GB][XPOSED] ReceiverStop

Tip us?

defim
Old
(Last edited by defim; 25th March 2014 at 02:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 490
Default [APP][4.0.3+ & GB][XPOSED] ReceiverStop

Allow only broadcasts you want for each app.
With this app you could prevent apps to receive broadcasts, e.g. "SD-card inserted" oder "W-Lan connected".
All with Android-18 shipped broadcast actions are integrated. Others will be collected from time to time and marked with an exclamation sign in the app.
Technical limiation: Actions wich are only sent and not received by any app could not be found.
Changed settings are applied after a reboot. For BOOT_COMPLETED please use the app BootManager.
To restrict system apps you have to donate. The key of "BootManager" is recognized by this app too!

Important:
This app needs the Xposed Framework. The framework requires root access for installation. Don't forget to enable the module in Xposed. You can grab it here: Xposed Installer

Play Store: http://tinyurl.com/p3dqxj2
Xposed Repository: http://tinyurl.com/q9u2l8o
Changelog: http://tinyurl.com/njov9yd

My personal intension to create this app:
There was no app which could do this

Translation:
Attached you can find the "strings.xml" file in english. If you want to help translate the app, just exchange the strings and attach new file here. Additional, please attach your email address or send it via PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	receiverstop0.jpg
Views:	2881
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2262425   Click image for larger version

Name:	receiverstop1.jpg
Views:	2320
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	2262426   Click image for larger version

Name:	receiverstop2.jpg
Views:	2101
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2262427   Click image for larger version

Name:	receiverstop3.jpg
Views:	1950
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	2262428  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReceiverStop-EN.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.1 KB, 119 views)
Motorola Defy+ aka MB526 Android 4.4.2 Cyanogen Mod
Samsung S4a aka GT-i9295 Android 4.2.2 Google Edition
My Android apps / Xposed modules: show Threads
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dr.Alexander_Breen
Old
(Last edited by Dr.Alexander_Breen; 16th September 2013 at 05:51 AM.)
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Kudos to you! This is great for development purposes!

However, you must warn the user that disabling Broadcast for some app just because he[user] thinks that might be a good idea is bad and user should think twice, as disabled Broadcast can result in a vary of results - from no effect to system crash.

For example, your favorite launcher is listening for the broadcast for call state. You're thinking - Ah-ha, it's spying on me! And you disable the broadcast. And then you are surprised, why does Phone app icon stopped displaying missed calls.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Alexander_Breen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krishna fattepurkar
Old
Thanks Meter 5
great thanks for that
The Following User Says Thank You to krishna fattepurkar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

defim
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Alexander_Breen View Post

However, you must warn the user that disabling Broadcast for some app just because he[user] thinks that might be a good idea is bad and user should think twice, as disabled Broadcast can result in a vary of results - from no effect to system crash.

For example, your favorite launcher is listening for the broadcast for call state. You're thinking - Ah-ha, it's spying on me! And you disable the broadcast. And then you are surprised, why does Phone app icon stopped displaying missed calls.
I'm not sure about wich i should warn, potentially are all dangerous to disable.
eg the brodcasts to update a widget are useless for you if you don't use a widget of the app. But you should not disable it if you are using the widget...
And some actions i do not even know, because the ReceiverStop collects them if you are using your apps...

Btw, the release of today shows a logfile with newly added actions.

Dr.Alexander_Breen
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by defim View Post
I'm not sure about wich i should warn, potentially are all dangerous to disable.
eg the brodcasts to update a widget are useless for you if you don't use a widget of the app. But you should not disable it if you are using the widget...
And some actions i do not even know, because the ReceiverStop collects them if you are using your apps...

Btw, the release of today shows a logfile with newly added actions.
No, you must not warn out every broadcast. Virtially, there is infinite set of them, as I can create my own broadcast as easy as 1-2-3. Just show the warning at the start that it's better not to meddle with the system app's broadcasts and that even user-installed apps can cause side effects without some broadcasts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Alexander_Breen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

defim
Old
(Last edited by defim; 17th September 2013 at 08:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 490
Quote:
No, you must not warn out every broadcast. Virtially, there is infinite set of them, as I can create my own broadcast as easy as 1-2-3. Just show the warning at the start that it's better not to meddle with the system app's broadcasts and that even user-installed apps can cause side effects without some broadcasts.
Warn about all? Good point
I'm wondering where's the best place. At startup is the changelog shown (if updated) and a message about xposed, if not installed/active. So it could be nothing is been read...

Looki75
Old
(Last edited by Looki75; 18th September 2013 at 09:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 352
Quote:
To restrict system apps you have to donate.
How to donate? I click the bottom part within the module - no reaction whatsoever...

Edit: ok, that was through the website. I donated and received the key file!

But... why "Maps" is not is the list of apps...?

Thanks...
Samsung Galaxy S3 International LTE - i9305
Samsung Official JB4.3 ROM - rooted

defim
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looki75 View Post
How to donate? I click the bottom part within the module - no reaction whatsoever...

Edit: ok, that was through the website. I donated and received the key file!

But... why "Maps" is not is the list of apps...?

Thanks...
Hi, i've planned to put donator apps for each app to the market, but had not time yet.
If a app is not shown, no receivers are detected for it unitl now. You could do:
1) show all apps by enable in settings. Then you have only the option to "diable all, even unknown"
2) or open (in this case) Maps and wait. If it gets a broadcast ReceiverStop adds it to internal list and 1) is not needed
Adding new receiver actions are always logged, independet if logging of allowed/denied is enabled

Quote:
I've added a warning dialog in the latest version
The Following User Says Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Looki75
Old
Thanks Meter 352
Quote:
Hi, i've planned to put donator apps for each app to the market, but had not time yet.
How will then work the donation I made? Is there a possibility for me to appear like I bought the donation app?
This way, in case I wipe the phone, I can download from play store the donation app and don't need to bother you with e-mails "hey give me again the license file..."...

And will the donation app work as well for both "bootmanager" and "stopreceiver"?

Quote:
If a app is not shown, no receivers are detected for it unitl now. You could do:
1) show all apps by enable in settings. Then you have only the option to "diable all, even unknown"
2) or open (in this case) Maps and wait. If it gets a broadcast ReceiverStop adds it to internal list and 1) is not needed
Adding new receiver actions are always logged, independet if logging of allowed/denied is enabled
Strange... I did "show all apps" and Maps is here. This is OK.
But the yellow "!" appears side to it... doesn't it mean that receivers were used?
But at the same time, when I click on Maps, there is only the "stop all" line... that sounds not consistent...???

Maybe a sign of a bug?

Anyway, very good job! THANKS!!!
Samsung Galaxy S3 International LTE - i9305
Samsung Official JB4.3 ROM - rooted

defim
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 490
@Looki75:
I'm not sure yet of the donation apps. But i think it should be again 1 app for the 2.

On the 1st view are packages shown, system apps have a "!" -> could be more dangerous to change sth
On the 2nd view with the receivers of each app, evere action which is a custom action (= not listed in broadcast_actions.txt of Android platform-18 sdk) has a "!". These non-default actions have to be collected by the app.
So it's consistent Maybe not the same icon for both would be better...

Are you sure Maps receives broadcasts? I tried to get Manifest.xml by the apk, but apktool failed -.-