This is a simple Xposed module to help you get rid of YouTube ads and branding layers, tested on my GalaxyS4 (Android 4.3) and Nexus5 (Android 4.4+) against the latest YouTube update (5.7.36), it should work on any Android device supported by Xposed framework (Android 4.0+) on some older YouTube updates as well (tested with 5.3.28).
Q: Why this application requires an update for each official YouTube App update. A: Because the YouTube application sources are proguarded, which means the generated classes names (by Proguard) are changing for each release, this should happen only if a clean proguard (producing a new classes map) is done, that's why we need to update the classes names on YouTube AdAway each time.
- Remove YouTube Ads
- Remove Channel Logo
- Remove videos suggestions
- Remove Information card teasers
- Xposed Framework (version 2.3+ , API 31+)
- Root required for Xposed framework installation, you can remove it afterward.
- Install Xposed Installer App
- Install Xposed framework through Xposed Installer
- Install YouTube AdAway App (attached)
- Open Xposed Installer App and enable my App on the modules list
- Reboot is a MUST after updating YouTube App or my App.
- This application is NOT a modified YouTube App, you can still update your YouTube update with no issues
- Make sure Xposed framework is installed, YouTube AdAway module enabled, Resources hooks are enabled on Xposed Installer
- Explain clearly your issue and upload your Xposed logs
ChangeLog: 2.0.0 (05/06/2014):
- Support the upcoming YouTube update (5.7.36)
- Better ad blocking support for older YouTube versions (Tested with YouTube 5.3.28)
- Remove all remaining proguarded hooks, this will reduce the possibility of incompatibilities with upcoming YouTube updates
- Added some non Proguarded hooks for better compatibility with upcoming YouTube updates
- Merged Channel features, better and generic support to prevent YouTube layouts changes
- Some stability improvements (hide layouts instead of changing their parents)
- Better support for YouTube 5.6.31/32 (removed more layers)
- Support YouTube 5.6.31
- Add an option to hide "Information Card teasers"
- Minor fixes
- Update hooked methods signatures to support YouTube latest update (5.5.27)
- Sanitize Brands Layouts managements to avoid any YouTube FC on the future.
- Remove the countries restrictions hooks (Not working because the restriction is done on the server side)
- Split branding layer feature to 2 parts : Hide Logo, Hide videos suggestions
1.4 (12/12/2013): (This update requires Android 3.0+ because i switched to the Preference fragments)
- Hide Channel logo
- Hide Videos suggestions
- Reviewed hooks and removed useless ones
- Remove Branding layers
- Disable Countries restrictions
- Videos flagged as NOT monetized to avoid any ads popups
- Added a menu option to hide the Application from the App drawer (you may need to reboot your device on some Android versions to apply the changes, not required on Kitkat).
- Added some checks for Xposed Installer and Xposed framework installation to help new users
- Added 2 translations (Arabic and French)
- Removed the useless preference choice (the module can be enabled/disabled through Xposed Installer)
- Set minimum Xposed framework API level to 31 (when the framework and its config were moved out of /data/xposed)
Usin iT With Wanamlite 3.3 And Latest Xposed beta Version And Nothin Changed
I'm on the same Rom + Xposed beta with no issues, just make sure the module is enabled, clear YouTube App data. and and reboot.
This application was tested against the latest YouTube update (5.3.24) and it's been downloaded more than 1500 in the last 10 hours with no such reports! if you are using any other version upload it.
OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?