Top Forum Discussions

[APP][XPOSED][4.0+] xRenamer - rename your apps universally

190 posts
Thanks Meter: 230

By giuliomvr, Senior Member on 25th April 2014, 02:28 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
xRenamer
rename your apps universally

This Xposed module allows you to rename your apps as you want. Some launchers have a feature that allows you to change the label of the apps on the launcher. For me this isn't satisfying enough, as the name actually stays the same and if you get an "choose an action" dialog the real name jumps out. The problem is easy, there is no way to. After noticing this module, which is created to rename QuickPic, I got the idea to create an app that allows you to rename any app(almost, see below). I developed the code further(my first android app ^^) to be able to change all the names at runtime and here it is: xRenamer.

Screenshots:
Click image for larger version

Name:	up5.png
Views:	5120
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	2707229Click image for larger version

Name:	up4.png
Views:	4752
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	2707230Click image for larger version

Name:	up3.png
Views:	4642
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	2707228Click image for larger version

Name:	up2.png
Views:	4430
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	2707227Click image for larger version

Name:	up1.jpg
Views:	4639
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2707226

Requirements:
Installation:
  1. Install the app.
  2. Activate the module in the xposed settings.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Rename!

Permissions:
  • KILL_BACKGROUND_PROCESSES to restart the launcher
  • WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE to save the settings

Limits:
At the moment, xRenamer is not able to rename:
  • System apps
  • Some rare apps(e.g the amazon app)
I am looking for a way to be able to rename these as well.
As long as this isn't the case, there are color tags in the app list dialog.
  • Green indicates that the app is an user application
  • Red indicates that the app is an system application
  • Yellow indicates that the app is neither in /data, nor in /system stored. Most of the time the app is an user application stored in /mnt/asec

Usage:
To rename an app tap the add button and either enter the package name of the app you want to rename by yourself or press the list button and choose an app from the list of installed apps. When an app has been identified, the icon will show up and a text is shown. Keep in mind that the add button won't be activated until the app has been identified. The add button also doesn't show up if you havn't entered a new name or if an entry for the app already exists.

To remove an entry tap the remove button. The actionbar will turn red and you are now able to delete an entry by simply tapping
it. Tab the button again to exit the remove mode.

To change an entry simply tab it and a dialog will pop up where you can change the name.

Although changes are applied during runtime, you may need to restart various apps for them to realize the change. For this purpose there is a button to restart the launcher hidden in the overflow menu.

Download:
I tested the app on my Note 3, running 4.4.2 and it's running fast and stable.
If you find any bugs, want to give your opinion or have an idea, feel free to do so.

Thanks to:
  • pyler for the idea and the basic code
  • rovo89 for the xposed framework
Last edited by giuliomvr; 25th April 2014 at 02:33 AM.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to giuliomvr For This Useful Post: [ View ]

25th April 2014, 05:32 AM |#2  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Hey! Thanks for this man!

Work for most apps.

Doesn't work for: Dolphin Browser, .Sprit2 (FM radio) & Google Camera (in data, non in system).

Edit:
Working
Last edited by RSDamasceno; 25th April 2014 at 05:37 AM.
25th April 2014, 05:37 AM |#3  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I have been in need of this functionality for so long. Thank you! Did not work on DialApp and Today Calendar, but that is it.

Would it be possible to add the ability to change app icons too? With Apex launcher, I can change them on the home screen, but I can't do anything if it is in the drawer and a theme I'm using doesn't cover some of my more obscure apps. That would be the icing on the cake.

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesellers88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 05:39 AM |#4  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesellers88

Would it be possible to add the ability to change app icons too? With Apex launcher, I can change them on the home screen, but I can't do anything if it is in the drawer and a theme I'm using doesn't cover some of my more obscure apps. That would be the icing on the cake.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Would be amazing!
25th April 2014, 05:42 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cologne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesellers88

Would it be possible to add the ability to change app icons too?

Thats actually a really nice suggestion. I will look over it today. It would also be a nice Addition to unicon which doesnt allow single items to change.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to giuliomvr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 05:48 AM |#6  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyInABox

Thats actually a really nice suggestion. I will look over it today. It would also be a nice Addition to unicon which doesnt allow single items to change.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

It's one of those things that always bug me about apps with horrible icons. I've deleted apps before because I couldn't stand look at them in my drawer. Even better would be to link it directly to installed icon packs and incorporate an icon picker.

I wish I could do this myself, but I'm glad you find the idea interesting.

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I want to give it a try myself. I have yet to make an app, and I think this would be a great thing to start with.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Last edited by Jesellers88; 25th April 2014 at 06:14 AM.
25th April 2014, 06:19 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 3,436

More
This looks awesome. Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
25th April 2014, 07:59 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Dint work for me for Quickpic I tried it with Lightning Launcher
25th April 2014, 08:01 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I get this message every time I open the app. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-25-12-19-55.png
Views:	838
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	2707503  
25th April 2014, 08:03 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,147

More
@GalaxyInABox: Great idea!
I've a feature request: Please add an option to change the app-icon, so everybody could use custom icons (some complained about my "ugly icons )
Why does you store the settings on the sd card? /data/data/<packagename>/files sould also be okay.
If it does not work for some apps, it could be because of the wrong/multiple android.intent.action.MAIN/android.intent.category.LAUNCHER activities in the Manifest.xml.
The yellow package names are not good to read on white background, i recommend blue
Last edited by defim; 25th April 2014 at 08:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th April 2014, 08:18 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cologne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk299

I get this message every time I open the app. Please help!

This happens if the app isn't able to write to your internal sdcard. What device are you using? It could be the case that your device or rom doesnt link /emulated/0 correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defim

@GalaxyInABox: Great idea!
I've a feature request: Please add an option to change the app-icon, so everybody could use custom icons (some complained about my "ugly icons )
Why does you store the settings on the sd card? /data/data/<packagename>/files sould also be okay.
If it does not work for some apps, it could be because of the wrong/multiple android.intent.action.MAIN/android.intent.category.LAUNCHER activities in the Manifest.xml.
The yellow package names are not good to read on white background, i recommend blue

I already have some idea how to do the icon replacer.
And writing to the sdcard will be removed in the next patch. I found a better way to do!

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
app, apps, module, rename, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread