rename your apps universally
This Xposed module allows you to rename your apps as you want. Some launchers have a feature that allows you to change the label of the apps on the launcher. For me this isn't satisfying enough, as the name actually stays the same and if you get an "choose an action" dialog the real name jumps out. The problem is easy, there is no way to. After noticing this module, which is created to rename QuickPic, I got the idea to create an app that allows you to rename any app(almost, see below). I developed the code further(my first android app ^^) to be able to change all the names at runtime and here it is: xRenamer.
- The Xposed Framework
- Min sdk version of 11, which should be no problem
- Install the app.
- Activate the module in the xposed settings.
- KILL_BACKGROUND_PROCESSES to restart the launcher
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE to save the settings
At the moment, xRenamer is not able to rename:
- System apps
- Some rare apps(e.g the amazon app)
As long as this isn't the case, there are color tags in the app list dialog.
- Green indicates that the app is an user application
- Red indicates that the app is an system application
- Yellow indicates that the app is neither in /data, nor in /system stored. Most of the time the app is an user application stored in /mnt/asec
To rename an app tap the add button and either enter the package name of the app you want to rename by yourself or press the list button and choose an app from the list of installed apps. When an app has been identified, the icon will show up and a text is shown. Keep in mind that the add button won't be activated until the app has been identified. The add button also doesn't show up if you havn't entered a new name or if an entry for the app already exists.
To remove an entry tap the remove button. The actionbar will turn red and you are now able to delete an entry by simply tapping
it. Tab the button again to exit the remove mode.
To change an entry simply tab it and a dialog will pop up where you can change the name.
Although changes are applied during runtime, you may need to restart various apps for them to realize the change. For this purpose there is a button to restart the launcher hidden in the overflow menu.
I tested the app on my Note 3, running 4.4.2 and it's running fast and stable.
If you find any bugs, want to give your opinion or have an idea, feel free to do so.
- pyler for the idea and the basic code
- rovo89 for the xposed framework