Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,266 Members 40,608 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][XPOSED] CrappaLinks - remove link masking/tracking/shortening from various apps

Tip us?

GermainZ
Old
(Last edited by GermainZ; 26th May 2014 at 08:12 PM.)
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5683
Default [MOD][XPOSED] CrappaLinks - remove link masking/tracking/shortening from various apps

Introduction
Some apps redirect all external links through their servers. This breaks intent filters (which means you can't open Play Store links with the Play Store, GitHub links with the GitHub app, etc - you're forced to use a browser to get past the redirection.)
This module removes the crappy link redirection/masking/tracking from various apps.
Also, if URL unshortening is enabled, the module will also try to resolve shortened URLs before opening them. This means that e.g. shortened links leading to YouTube (for example: http://bit.ly/1gf00Wo) can be directly opened in the YouTube app.
If you still don't understand what this module does, you can read a detailed example here.

Requirements:
Non root users can use this app.

CrappaLinks Settings:
  • Unshorten URLs: if unchecked, CrappaLinks won't try to resolve shortened URLs.
  • Toast Type:
    • Off: no toasts are shown, unless a failure occurs.
    • Brief: you only get a toast when CrappaLinks starts resolving the URL.
    • Full: you get a toast when CrappaLinks tarts resolving the URL, and another when it's done along with the unshortened URL.
  • Shortened URLs Confirmation: if checked, a confirmation dialog will be shown asking you if you want to open the unshortened URL or not.
  • Resolve All URLs: *after* clicking a shortened URL and resolving it once, only known URL shorteners will be resolved. Consumes less bandwidth, but may not resolve all *nested* shortened URLs correctly. Example: goo.gl/something (known; resolve) -> tinyurl.com/something (known; resolve) -> some-unknown-shortener.com (unknown; do not resolve) -> ???

Requests:
For apps: When requesting support for an app you use, include its download link (e.g. Play Store.)
Since it's unlikely I'm also using whatever app you want, I also need detailed information if e.g. link masking only happens in certain parts, and getting there isn't straightforward.
Also gives an example of how the URL is formatted (what *should* open, and what is opening instead.) For example, this is what happens for the Play Store:
Code:
Select Code
What should open: http://xda-developers.com
What is actually being opened because of the app's link masking: http://google.com/?q=http://xda-developers.com&sa=asnfioASFOASh01aF
... and I'll try my best to support it.
For URL shorteners: URL shorteners that require user interaction, such as Adfly, won't be supported.

Of course, pull requests are very welcome if you can do add support for it by yourself.

Reporting Issues:
Please include a non-filtered logcat when reporting issues, as well as the full URL if applicable.
The best way to include a logcat is to use a pastebin such as bpaste.net, pastie.org, or ix.io.
Do not use the Xposed Installer's "Log" section, as that's not made to give the full logcat.

Supported shorteners/hosts:
CrappaLinks supports the following URL shorteners:

"t.co", "youtu.be", "bit.ly", "menea.me", "kcy.me", "goo.gl", "ow.ly", "j.mp", "redes.li", "dlvr.it", "tinyurl.com", "tmblr.co", "reut.rs", "sns.mx", "wp.me", "4sq.com", "ed.cl", "huff.to", "mun.do", "cos.as", "flip.it", "amzn.to", "cort.as", "on.cnn.com", "fb.me", "shar.es", "spr.ly", "v.ht", "v0v.in", "redd.it", "bitly.com", "tl.gd", "wh.gov", "hukd.mydealz.de", "untp.i", "kck.st", "engt.co", "nyti.ms", "cnnmon.ie", "vrge.co", "is.gd", "cnn.it", "spon.de", "affiliation.appgratuites-network.com", "t.cn", "url.cn", "ht.ly", "po.st", "ohmyyy.gt"

And these hosts for masked URLs:

"m.facebook.com", "link2.tapatalk.com", "link.tapatalk.com", "google.com", "m.vk.com", "click.linksynergy.com", "youtube.com", "m.scope.am", "redirectingat.com", "jdoqocy.com", "viglink.com", "youtube.com" (for attribution links), "pt.tapatalk.com"

Source code:
https://github.com/GermainZ/CrappaLinks

Download:
http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.germainz.crappalinks

Changelog:
Quote:
2.6:
  • Added new maskers: pt.tapatalk.com (support for the latest TapaTalk versions.)
  • Added new shorteners: ht.ly, po.st, ohmyyy.gt.
  • Avoid infinite loops if the URL can't be unmasked correctly.
  • Translations: added Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, updated Slovak.
2.5:
  • Try to detect meta tag redirects for all hosts.
  • Use CookieManager to store cookies. This is necessary for e.g. nytimes which kept redirecting us in a loop otherwise.
  • Go back to using the default user agent, setting a custom one was apparently messing up some requests.
2.4:
  • Add preference to disable resolving all URLs: *after* clicking a shortened URL and resolving it once, only known URL shorteners will be resolved. Consumes less bandwidth, but may not resolve all *nested* shortened URLs correctly. Example: goo.gl/something (known; resolve) -> tinyurl.com/something (known; resolve) -> some-unknown-shortener.com (unknown; do not resolve) -> ???
  • Spoof Firefox for Android's User Agent. This may be useful when the "Resolve All URLs" option is checked, as websites will send us the mobile versions instead (less bandwidth consumption.)
  • Use correct hook for ICS (the module wasn't working correctly for ICS devices.)
  • Fixed Dutch translation.
  • Avoid infinite loops.
2.3:
  • Add support for YouTube attribution links.
  • Add Dutch and Greek translations.
  • Update German translation.
2.2:
  • Confirmation dialog: handle back button;
  • Don't ignore unshortened links (useful for a masked URL inside a shortened one);
  • Handle subdomains for masked/shortened URLs and fix CrappaLinks ignoring those starting with "www.";
  • Better connection error feedback;
  • Chinese translation;
  • Added URL shortners: t.cn, url.cn;
  • Updated German translation.
2.1:
  • Added option to show a confirmation dialog before opening unshortened URLs;
  • Fix issue with redirects that use relative Locations;
  • Added support for more hosts. apicdn.viglink.com, affiliation.appgratuites-network.com, spon.de.
2.0.2: Preserve the intent type (fixes bug with e.g. heise online.)
2.0.1: Bug fix, some URLs were detected as being masked when they shouldn't be (which caused an infinite loop.)
2.0: System wide support.
1.7.2: TapaTalk v2 bug fix.
1.7.1: Facebook bug fix.
1.7:
  • New icon;
  • Fix slight issue with some Facebook links not being unmasked;
  • Added support for TapaTalk v2;
  • Bug fixes with Vk and the Play Store;
  • Added support for Slickdeals;
  • Added support for myDealZ;
  • Added preference to hide icon from launcher;
1.6: Added support for URL unshortening. You can turn this off if you want.
1.5: Added support for Scope.
1.4: Added support for Facebook and Vk.
1.3: Added Google Play support.
1.2: Added support for XDA Premium.
1.1: Possible fix for some links.
1.0: Initial release. Only supports TapaTalk.
  • rovo89 and Tungstwenty for the Xposed Framework;
  • AChep for helping and testing various stuff;
  • julianjm for helping out with URL resolving;
  • DD-Ripper for the app's icon;
  • All translators and testers.
The Following 192 Users Say Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

defim
Old
Thanks Meter 678
Fantastic idea! This prevents also Tapatalk to "inspect" opened links...
Motorola Defy+ aka MB526 Android 4.4.4 Cyanogen Mod
Samsung S4a aka GT-i9295 Android 4.2.2 Google Edition
My Android apps / Xposed modules: show Threads
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

polobunny
Old
Thanks Meter 2361
How in time! Just having a discussion regarding this here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528576

There's also an app that was posted.
Please press THANKS if someone helps you!

My current configuration:

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747M
ROM: cm-11-20140727-NIGHTLY-d2lte
Kernel: Stock/KT747
Baseband: I747MVLDMF1
Bootloader: I747MVLDMF1
Governor: Ktoonservative

Older device: Nexus S i9020A

GermainZ
Old
(Last edited by GermainZ; 9th January 2014 at 04:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5683
Quote:
Originally Posted by defim View Post
Fantastic idea! This prevents also Tapatalk to "inspect" opened links...
Didn't look too much into the code, but I think TapaTalk just knows the URL has been opened - not who opened it.
EDIT: Actually, they have the device id. The link you open (link.tapatalk.com/...) has a "VigLinkId" which is sent by their servers (as a response to the device id (MAC address) being sent, among other things) if I'm not mistaken. So the two can be linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polobunny View Post
How in time! Just having a discussion regarding this here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2528576

There's also an app that was posted.
Cool, didn't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tungstwenty
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4170

DONATE TO ME
Doesn't this break the current functionality that if the link you click is part of the thread (of of the forum, for that matter), it will open still in TapaTalk instead of going to the browser?

Not using TapaTalk BTW, that's why I didn't test before commenting

Device: Xperia Z (C6603)
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 10.5.A.0.230
Locked bootloader, rooted, XZDualRecovery
Mods (Xposed): App Settings, Advanced reboot menu
Retired device: Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100)

My threads that you might find useful:

SUPERCOMPUTER: what it sounded like before you bought it

GermainZ
Old
(Last edited by GermainZ; 9th January 2014 at 04:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungstwenty View Post
Doesn't this break the current functionality that if the link you click is part of the thread (of of the forum, for that matter), it will open still in TapaTalk instead of going to the browser?

Not using TapaTalk BTW, that's why I didn't test before commenting
Nope I'm replacing a method that only masks the URL and sends the intent to view it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1/4 Life
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Fantastic idea! Does this also work for the Pro app?

Magissia
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Love the name of the module.

Regards
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magissia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

natezire71
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 Life View Post
Fantastic idea! Does this also work for the Pro app?
Yep. Using it now.
MotoX, KitKat
Nexus7.2, KitKat

defim
Old
Thanks Meter 678
@GermainZ:

Just wondering:
Code:
Select Code
if (!pkg.equals("com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity") && !pkg.equals("com.quoord.tapatalkHD"))

final Class<?> TagHandler = findClass("com.quoord.tapatalkpro.adapter.forum.MessageContentAdapter", lpparam.classLoader);
The class starts for both apps with "com.quoord.tapatalkpro" ?

An idea for another Tapatalk module: Remove in-post tapatalk signatures. As you know tapatalk a little, maybe you are able todo it? The signatures are in the resources like "<string name="tapatalk_singature_3">Sent from my %s</string>"
Motorola Defy+ aka MB526 Android 4.4.4 Cyanogen Mod
Samsung S4a aka GT-i9295 Android 4.2.2 Google Edition
My Android apps / Xposed modules: show Threads