Featured on XDA-portal. Thanks to @Will Verduzco (willverduzco) for the article!
This is an Android Xposed module to perform Macro / Text expansion. The module allows short key sequences to be transformed into other, usually more time-consuming, sequences of keystrokes. This means that frequently used or repetitive sequences of keystrokes can easily be automated. Since it uses Xposed and operates at the text widget level, it works with all factory and third party keyboards, and can be added to user dictionaries for even faster use.
After creating my fun I am Groot module, I thought I'd do something more practical with run-time text processing using Xposed.
- Android 4.0+ with root
- Xposed Framework installed
- Download apk from Xposed Module Repository
- Install module as a normal apk
- Open Xposed Installer and click checkbox to enable
- Reboot device to activate module
v1.2 - Xposed Module Repository
Tips & Hints
It's best to set the macro phrase to a term that is not normally used in conversation, since all instances of this phrase will be replaced.
For example, using the macro 'address' to denote your home address would be a poor choice, since this would change a statement like 'enter your email address' into 'enter your email '123 xyz street'
A better choice is to add a symbol and set the alias to something like '@addr' to prevent inadvertent text expansion.
Changes to macro list require reboot to activate.
AutoHotKey import file notes
- Import macro lines that match ::macro::expansion
- Does not yet handle AutoHotKey wildcards/regular expressions
- Lines containing non-ASCII characters are also ignored
- Enable import/restore debug logging to troubleshoot missed macro issues
If the module is not able to handle the macro (yet) it will simply ignore the line.
The module does not have an upper limit on the number of macros that can be entered/imported, but performance will degrade on significantly large lists, especially on older devices.
Macros should be functional with these browsers: Atlas, Dolphin, Now Browser Extended
Limited/no function with these browsers: AOSP, Chrome, Chrome Beta, Now Browser Pro
Support for these in progress
I try my best to thoroughly test everything I publish, but given the staggering number of devices, ROMs, and apps I cannot make any guarantee that something will go wrong. Use at your own risk!
This module is open source software, available on my Github page, licensed under the Apache 2.0 license
If you are a developer and want to contribute, fork the repo and submit a pull request.
- @rovo89 and @Tungstwenty for Xposed framework
- @GermainZ for code example from @Hodor module
- The entire XDA community for being awesome.
- If you find this useful, click thanks!
- If something is broken, let me know and I'll try my best to fix it!
- If a feature is missing, suggest it and I'll try to add it!