Add Frequency Bands to Your Qualcomm Device

Those of you who travel quite a bit undoubtedly own more than one device due to frequency band … more

More Android 5.0 Details Revealed, Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker – XDA TV

Google talks more about Android 5.0 Lollipop! That and much … more

Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner of American phone manufacturer … more

[MOD][XPOSED][4.0+] Map Zoom Invert 1.0

OP bgreco

23rd January 2014, 02:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

4 posts
Google Map Zoom Invert is an Xposed module that inverts the one-finger zoom gesture in the Google Maps Android app.

Introduction
The Google Maps Android app contains a single-finger zoom gesture: double tap on the map, then slide your finger up or down to zoom. I find this gesture quite handy, so I was quite surprised when a Maps update that rolled out a few months ago inverted the gesture without warning. Now you swipe up to zoom out and down to zoom in. This behavior is frustrating to me not only because I'm used to the old behavior, but because it now behaves opposite of the desktop version of Maps! Scrolling up zooms in on the desktop, but swiping up zooms out on Android.

The Module
This module, once installed, will intercept the single-finger zoom gesture in Google Maps and invert it, restoring the old behavior: swipe up to zoom in, swipe down to zoom out.

Installation
  1. Install the Xposed framework. Your device must be rooted to do this.
  2. Download the Map Zoom Invert module, activate, and reboot. Only install modules if you trust the author!

Compatibility
This module has been tested using Maps 7.5 with CM 10.2 on the Galaxy Nexus and first generation Nexus 7. I imagine it will work on all devices so long as you have a reasonably current version of Maps.

Note that if you have a version of Maps below 7.4, you already have the "old" zoom behavior, so installing this will probably invert the zoom and you'll have the "new" behavior! But I've not tested this.

Source Code
The code used to build this module can be browsed or checked out from http://hg.bgreco.net/xposed/.
If you're interested in how this module works, take a look at GMapZoomInvert.java.

Credits
Many thanks to @rovo89, for creating the Xposed framework that makes this module possible.
Last edited by bgreco; 23rd January 2014 at 03:09 AM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to bgreco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 03:38 AM   |  #2  
Binghamton, NY
Thanks Meter: 180

507 posts
More
This is so fantastic. thank you. I never realized the behavior was changed with the update, I just thought it had it mixed up all along.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
23rd January 2014, 07:35 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 7

38 posts
More
Thanks!
24th January 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 47

145 posts
Woo! Actually I never noticed GMap has this function. I missed the one hand operation +/- sign in pre-6.4 and were frustrated that it was being removed in 7.0+.
28th January 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #5  
Great, great thing!
I did not realized until today that indeed, it is Google's fault and I am not stupid.
On the funny side of things, in case Google will go back to old behavior, will the module 'reverse' things? Sorry, it is a little (more) OT, but I could not help myself!

And congrats for making to xda news....
29th January 2014, 04:08 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
Just to clarify why Google reversed this feature, it's because Chrome and Maps had opposing gestures for the same zoom feature, now they're the same.

Don't know why you would want to have opposing zoom gestures, but it doesn't hurt to have the option I guess. And not everyone uses Chrome browser.

Could you add the option to reverse Chrome's zoom as well, so they match up?
Last edited by jigglebling; 29th January 2014 at 04:12 AM.
30th January 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by okty2k

Great, great thing!
I did not realized until today that indeed, it is Google's fault and I am not stupid.
On the funny side of things, in case Google will go back to old behavior, will the module 'reverse' things? Sorry, it is a little (more) OT, but I could not help myself!

And congrats for making to xda news....

Thanks for pointing out that xda-news post! I hadn't seen that.

If Google ever switched the gesture back, the zoom would indeed get inverted again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglebling

Just to clarify why Google reversed this feature, it's because Chrome and Maps had opposing gestures for the same zoom feature, now they're the same.

Don't know why you would want to have opposing zoom gestures, but it doesn't hurt to have the option I guess. And not everyone uses Chrome browser.

Could you add the option to reverse Chrome's zoom as well, so they match up?

Ah, that sort of explains the change. I don't use Chrome myself. But then why didn't they invert the Street View portion of Maps as well? Swiping up still causes the image to zoom in... seems rather split-brained to me.

Maybe I'll experiment with doing the same for Chrome... we'll see.
5th February 2014, 05:08 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 24

122 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreco

Thanks for pointing out that xda-news post! I hadn't seen that.

If Google ever switched the gesture back, the zoom would indeed get inverted again!

Ah, that sort of explains the change. I don't use Chrome myself. But then why didn't they invert the Street View portion of Maps as well? Swiping up still causes the image to zoom in... seems rather split-brained to me.

Maybe I'll experiment with doing the same for Chrome... we'll see.

Would love to see this!! Could you enable this in the webkit? Reason being, this would work in many apps besides Maps and Chrome. The new underlying webkit in KitKat is Chromium and ANY app that uses the webkit would have this zoom functionality reversed. If you're on KitKat, go into an app that uses a browser and try the double-tap and zoom. Works like a charm! Only it needs reversed.
12th February 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 85

214 posts
More
Could you check Google+ Places, please? There's a map, it could use your inverting too
Thanks a lot!
18th March 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #10  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 7

14 posts
More
Thumbs up
Thank you for this! I too didn't realize this behavior was switched in a maps update. I thought I was just screwing up. It's great to have it back to the old behavior again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread