5,603,646 Members 36,483 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][Xposed] Restore Car Dock mode on Android 4.2

Tip us?

MohammadAG
Old
(Last edited by MohammadAG; 19th November 2013 at 11:35 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3332

DONATE TO ME
Default [MOD][Xposed] Restore Car Dock mode on Android 4.2

Requires rovo89's Xposed Framework.

As you all might know, Android 4.2 removed the ability for car apps to hook the home button.
Although there have been two solutions (CyanogenMod is one, the other is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...omepatch&hl=en), they either didn't work on all ROMs (Stock and PA are two), and the one on the Play Store broke the original home button functionality (e.g going back to the main page).

I made this mod to solve that.

Compatibility:
This mod should work on all ROMs based on 4.2, unless the manufacturer removed the method startDockOrHome() from the code.
Tested and/or reported working on:
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Sony Xperia Z1

Source:
The mod is open source, and licensed under GPLv3: https://github.com/MohammadAG/Xposed-4.2-Car-Mode

Download:
http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/..._v2_906e41.apk

Support development:
If you found this mod useful, consider donating with PayPal.
Follow me on Twitter: @MohammadAG
Google+: https://plus.google.com/103508952817353883168/posts

Check out my Xposed modules.
Send files with Android Beamô on Android 4.1+: File Beam (Touch to Send)
Enable USB Mass Storage Mode on Samsung devices with SG USB Mass Storage Enabler.
Use your flashlight at different brightness levels with Adjustable Torch.
Enable Music Controls on your S-View screen with S-View Music Controls
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ghostryder12
Old
Thanks Meter 373

DONATE TO ME
Mohammad, should I wait for 4.2.2 upgrade before DL your great looking fix?
I'm using HTC One still on 4.1.2 in the US, and the update has made it to the UK.

loco-cork
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default not working on Nexus 4

Installed it on my Nexus 4 running stock jellybean 4.2.2 and Car Home Ultra. Made no difference to how it behaved before. Home button still brings android home screen instead of Car Mode home screen.

MohammadAG
Old
Thanks Meter 3332

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder12 View Post
Mohammad, should I wait for 4.2.2 upgrade before DL your great looking fix?
I'm using HTC One still on 4.1.2 in the US, and the update has made it to the UK.
I don't have an HTC One, but if upgrading without OTa is easy I'd jump to 4.2.2 anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco-cork View Post
Installed it on my Nexus 4 running stock jellybean 4.2.2 and Car Home Ultra. Made no difference to how it behaved before. Home button still brings android home screen instead of Car Mode home screen.
Do you have the Xposed framework installed? If so, did you activate the module? If not, install it, you're missing out on a lot of good tweaks.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

Enable USB Mass Storage Mode on Samsung devices with SG USB Mass Storage Enabler.
The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vnguyen972
Old
Thanks Meter 87
I'm on Google Edition 4.2.2 on my HTC One and I have XPosed framework installed... so I grabbed this apk and installed it and activated it in XPosed... but how do I access car mode? do I need to install a car mode app?
T-Mobile HTC OneT-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3

timothydonohue
Old
Thanks Meter 70
i'm on pac man rom, on the gs3 for verizon. no alternate kernel, no cpu tweaks. i used the exposed module attached, enable it. so far, no difference. no available car dock. is there a car dock i must install prior? is there a reasonable one available that doesn't cost money...i know my prior overlays, sense and TW, had car modes. i figured there was an open source version, is why i ask about not spending money.
If you need help, try IRC #Cyanogenmod in freenode.net
Someone may be able to help you there. I will try, if I'm on.

MohammadAG
Old
Thanks Meter 3332

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnguyen972 View Post
I'm on Google Edition 4.2.2 on my HTC One and I have XPosed framework installed... so I grabbed this apk and installed it and activated it in XPosed... but how do I access car mode? do I need to install a car mode app?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothydonohue View Post
i'm on pac man rom, on the gs3 for verizon. no alternate kernel, no cpu tweaks. i used the exposed module attached, enable it. so far, no difference. no available car dock. is there a car dock i must install prior? is there a reasonable one available that doesn't cost money...i know my prior overlays, sense and TW, had car modes. i figured there was an open source version, is why i ask about not spending money.
Car mode is either activated automatically by a car dock, or manually by the user (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.ig88.carmode).
Personally I use an NFC tag on the back of my car mount with some Tasker and Llama automation.

After activating car mode you still need a car home app, S Voice is actually marked as one so you have that, but I prefer InDrive, CarHomeUltra, or Car Dashboard.

What this mod does is allow you to use the home button to go to the car launcher rather than your default launcher, a feature on all Android versions prior to 4.2.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alcuin
Old
Thanks Meter 31
hm i didnt read first post carefully, sorry. thought this was needed for 4.1.2

ghostryder12
Old
Thanks Meter 373

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Car mode is either activated automatically by a car dock, or manually by the user (see https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.ig88.carmode).
Personally I use an NFC tag on the back of my car mount with some Tasker and Llama automation.

After activating car mode you still need a car home app, S Voice is actually marked as one so you have that, but I prefer InDrive, CarHomeUltra, or Car Dashboard.

What this mod does is allow you to use the home button to go to the car launcher rather than your default launcher, a feature on all Android versions prior to 4.2.

Mohammad, bummer. Only works for the Samsung. Will you be trying to modify for multiple devices?? Like my HTC One....hint-hint....

Sent from that FBI van parked down the street.
Via Operation streamline;
Stealing your info since
2001 via the NSA van
parked outside

MohammadAG
Old
Thanks Meter 3332

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostryder12 View Post
Mohammad, bummer. Only works for the Samsung. Will you be trying to modify for multiple devices?? Like my HTC One....hint-hint....

Sent from that FBI van parked down the street.
It doesn't work on the HTC One?
Are you sure you have Xposed installed and the module activated?

If so, send me a deodexed copy of android.policy.jar from /system/framework and I'll see if I can add support for it.

Tags
4.2, car, home, mode