5,598,820 Members 33,739 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][XPOSED][v1.2] Snapshare - Share images and videos via Snapchat

Tip us?

stammler
Old
(Last edited by stammler; 5th October 2013 at 05:20 PM.) Reason: bumped working snapchat version to 4.0.05
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197

DONATE TO ME
Video [MOD][XPOSED][v1.2] Snapshare - Share images and videos via Snapchat

Snapshare
Share images and videos via Snapchat

This Xposed module lets you share any image and portrait video via Snapchat, not only pictures you take with the camera from within Snapchat. When you are viewing an image and click on share, Snapshare will pop up as an option. It will load Snapchat and lets you even paint on the image as if you had just taken it with your camera inside Snapchat. Snapshare will crop your images so they fit into your display.

It uses the Xposed framework to intercept launches of Snapchat from Snapshare and do the magic. Because it uses the Xposed framework, it is device and rom independent

If you find any bugs, please report See the section Troubleshooting/Bugs on Github about which logcat filters would be helpful etc.

Confirmed to work with Snapchat 4.0.05 (2013-10-05)

Installation
  1. Install the awesome Xposed framework on your rooted device.
  2. Install and activate the mod, which you can download from my Bintray site. Don't forget to do a (soft) reboot.

To Do
  • Adding Borders to the image, instead of cropping it, to fit the display area's size. Especially if you want to share, e.g. square Instagram images, this is probably preferable.
  • Check that the video file to share is at most 1 MB in size, as larger files are rejected by the Snapchat server.
  • Clicking on the upper left X should return to the Gallery, not the Snapchat camera. Minor priority

Release Notes
  • 1.2 Proper handling of video deletion.
  • 1.1a Fixed version to work with newest Snapchat version 3.0.4
  • 1.1 Support for sharing videos added.
    - So far only Portrait videos are supported, as Landscape videos are shown scaled down in Portrait mode in the upper half of the screen.
    - Also, if the video is too large, which can happen quickly if recorded with an external app, Snapchat will refuse to send the video. I actually don't even now if you can share any other videos than the ones originally created with Snapchat and saved before sending. Or videos saved by the Keepchat mod.
  • 1.0 First working release. Only image sharing supported.

You can find the sources, technical details, bugs and troubleshooting discussions at my Github repository. This software is released under the GNU GPLv3.

Cheers and enjoy!
Google Nexus 4 on Paranoid Android :: TWRP Recovery
Xposed mods: Unsafe Volume :: Snapshare :: Keepchat (contributed)
The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to stammler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

youngyoshi
Old
(Last edited by youngyoshi; 11th July 2013 at 07:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Yes.. i thank you soo much!

Edit: didn't work on my device. Note 2 running jbs jellybombed rom. I'll try to get a logcat 2morrow

pogi1100
Old
(Last edited by pogi1100; 13th July 2013 at 01:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 51
Didnt work on my device either. Just loads snapchat and turns on the camera when i press share.

Working great on International S3 running CM10.1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, Nexus 7 2013 (flo), Nexus 5 (hammerhead)
Kernel: Temasek Kernel (i9300), Faux Kernel (flo), Franco Kernel (hammerhead)

[GUIDE] Get Facebook Sync (with phone numbers) working on CM10+ (Different from Haxsync as it allows phone numbers to be synced as well.)

stammler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogi1100 View Post
Didnt work on my device either. Just loads snapchat and turns on the camera when i press share.

Well, so far my Nexus 4 running ParanoidAndroid is the only device I could test this on, so I'd be happy if you guys could help me getting this to work on your devices/roms. A logcat would be helpful because the app prints a lot of debugging information in the background. Quote from the README on github:
Quote:
Originally Posted by README
If you encounter any problems or bugs with this mod, please open logcat like this

Code:
adb logcat -v time ActivityManager:I Snapshare:D "*:S"
then reproduce the error and report the relevant output (That's why I choose to display the time in logcat's output, I don't wanna have your logcat of the last few days ).
For a start, you could just send me the /data/xposed/debug.log file...
You are surely running the newest Snapchat 3.0.1? Which Android versions are you running?

coolcapnc
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by stammler View Post
Well, so far my Nexus 4 running ParanoidAndroid is the only device I could test this on, so I'd be happy if you guys could help me getting this to work on your devices/roms. A logcat would be helpful because the app prints a lot of debugging information in the background. Quote from the README on github:

For a start, you could just send me the /data/xposed/debug.log file...
You are surely running the newest Snapchat 3.0.1? Which Android versions are you running?
Worked perfectly for me. Running latest Snapchat 3.0.1 on my Galaxy S3. Tried from multiple Gallery apps and had no issues at all!
The Following User Says Thank You to coolcapnc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wchill
Old
Thanks Meter 189
I've been messing around with the Snapchat API and I've found some information that might be helpful:

-the Snapchat server rejects any uploads over 1MB
-images that are too high resolution (regardless of whether or not it is greater than 1MB) will show up as black
-videos from other sources DO work as long as they are < 1MB (tested on a Galaxy Note II, uploaded with my own app, recorded at low quality settings with final size at 940k). I even grabbed a random YouTube video (a jump scare) and sent it as a snap to one of my friends for fun

In addition, I have some other questions. I will PM you with those as they are not as relevant to this thread
Devices
  • Verizon Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
  • International Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100
  • Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
  • Verizon iPhone 4 32GB
  • Kindle Fire 1st gen
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013

stammler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 197

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchill View Post
I've been messing around with the Snapchat API and I've found some information that might be helpful:

-the Snapchat server rejects any uploads over 1MB
-images that are too high resolution (regardless of whether or not it is greater than 1MB) will show up as black
-videos from other sources DO work as long as they are < 1MB (tested on a Galaxy Note II, uploaded with my own app, recorded at low quality settings with final size at 940k). I even grabbed a random YouTube video (a jump scare) and sent it as a snap to one of my friends for fun

In addition, I have some other questions. I will PM you with those as they are not as relevant to this thread
Thanks for that! The 1 MB limit is very helpful indeed! I might show a Toast message if the video's size is above 1 MB or something like that.
The resolution of the image is no problem, as Snapshare internally crops and scales too large images so that they fit into the DisplayMetrics.widthPixels x DisplayMetrics.heightPixels rectangle.

wchill
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by stammler View Post
Thanks for that! The 1 MB limit is very helpful indeed! I might show a Toast message if the video's size is above 1 MB or something like that.
The resolution of the image is no problem, as Snapshare internally crops and scales too large images so that they fit into the DisplayMetrics.widthPixels x DisplayMetrics.heightPixels rectangle.
Ah, I just noticed the crop/scale code. I've been using inSampleSize to scale myself
Devices
  • Verizon Galaxy S4 SCH-I545
  • International Samsung Galaxy Note II GT-N7100
  • Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
  • Verizon iPhone 4 32GB
  • Kindle Fire 1st gen
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013

pogi1100
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Nvm forgot to enable xposed as I just upgraded my ROM. Working marvelously on Temadek's CM10.1 on International S3

Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, Nexus 7 2013 (flo), Nexus 5 (hammerhead)
Kernel: Temasek Kernel (i9300), Faux Kernel (flo), Franco Kernel (hammerhead)

[GUIDE] Get Facebook Sync (with phone numbers) working on CM10+ (Different from Haxsync as it allows phone numbers to be synced as well.)

erikstar
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks! Working flawless with my nexus 4 on AOKP rom This is awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Black neXus⁴ | dbrand gold skin

Tags
mod, share image, snapchat, xposed