Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD][XPOSED][4.0.3+] Whatsapp mods (remove action shortcuts from conversation)

OP jayshah

22nd July 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137

222 posts
Hi,

I would like to present my second Xposed Mod. I'm uploading this one too since the Waze one had some interest, so I hope this one can be of use to other people too.

Useful modifications to WhatsApp. Currently includes:
  • Removal of the voice and/or camera buttons from the conversation view
  • The ability to keep the contact list (called "New Chat" in WhatsApp) in your history, so when you launch a conversation using it and then press the back button, it doesn't skip straight back to the main conversations list.

Changelog can be found here.

Removal of the camera and/or voice buttons

Some time ago, WhatsApp added the "audio voice" feature. I found it hindered significantly more than it helped: if you tapped it accidentally, it would vibrate and emit a notification-like sound. And, I would do this repeatedly and so never found this useful (I don't use voice messaging).

More time passes, and they add a camera icon. This is more useful, and personally I'd prefer if that was the only one. So - I wrote this (it's also open source: https://github.com/jaysh/xposed-whatsapp). It's entirely configurable based on what you would like.

Before (with both camera and voice visible):
Before

After (no voice, no camera - you can choose which combination you'd like):
After

(Note: in all cases, the "send message" button will appear after you start typing, as it always would. Additionally, disabling sending still allows you to receive them.)

Keep contact list in the history

When navigating to a conversation via the "contact list" (main WhatsApp screen > "New Chat" on the action bar > Select a contact) and you press the back key, rather than returning to the contact list, it returns you back to the main WhatsApp screen with your list of conversations - which can be a little frustrating.

This mod allows you to "go back" to the contact list, so you can chat uninterrupted.

How to install

Recommended method: install via the Xposed module installer - search for "WhatsApp Mods"

Alternatively, for offline installation, you can use this APK: http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/..._v4_da029a.apk

Please do let me know if any comments/feedback.

Thanks!
Jay
Last edited by jayshah; 26th July 2014 at 11:12 PM.
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to jayshah For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 11:24 PM   |  #2  
Flag Denmark, Århus
Thanks Meter: 57

271 posts
More
Whatsapp+ can also be the same, even many other features..
The Following User Says Thank You to kabalah89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 932

1,795 posts
Great idea, I also dont like these 2 icons.
I noticed you are hiding them by setting width&heigh to 0. If I'm using thsi in eclipse it shows me that 0 values are not valid. Maybe you could better imagebutton.setVisibility(View.GONE)?
22nd July 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137

222 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalah89

Whatsapp+ can also be the same, even many other features..

Good point - but I'd rather run the stock WhatsApp myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though. I really want less features, not more: I like WhatsApp to be a simple text/media exchange, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defim

Great idea, I also dont like these 2 icons.
I noticed you are hiding them by setting width&heigh to 0. If I'm using thsi in eclipse it shows me that 0 values are not valid. Maybe you could better imagebutton.setVisibility(View.GONE)?

WhatsApp toggle their visibility based on what you are doing, e.g. if you're typing or not - so they don't stay hidden when you only toggle their visibility (in fact, the default layout doesn't even appear to have the correct viability settings applied, so I think they're relying on their Java code to toggle it). Open to other ideas on how to make it less hacky, naturally.
Last edited by jayshah; 22nd July 2014 at 11:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayshah For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd July 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #5  
Flag Denmark, Århus
Thanks Meter: 57

271 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshah

That's cool - but I'd rather run the stock WhatsApp myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though.

I will of course respects your work .
The Following User Says Thank You to kabalah89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2014, 12:10 AM   |  #6  
Flag Guayaquil
Thanks Meter: 100

386 posts
Great work, personally I don't have problem with these buttons ... do you think you could change a weird behavior when you are view whatsapp contact list then select a contact, then press back and whatsapp returns to chat list instead contact list?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chavocarlos For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd July 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 687

3,835 posts
Donate to Me
Can you do similar for telegram?
23rd July 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 25

131 posts
More
Much appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 10
23rd July 2014, 01:39 AM   |  #9  
Flag Largo, FL
Thanks Meter: 779

583 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavocarlos

Great work, personally I don't have problem with these buttons ... do you think you could change a weird behavior when you are view whatsapp contact list then select a contact, then press back and whatsapp returns to chat list instead contact list?

true
that is the most annoying thing in whatsapp
King ov Hell
23rd July 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Working on latest version (2.11.310) good job. Hope you will add that fix for contact list.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, mod, whatsapp, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread