Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,270 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD][XPOSED][4.0.3+] Whatsapp mods (remove action shortcuts from conversation)

Tip us?

jayshah
Old
(Last edited by jayshah; 26th July 2014 at 10:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 120
Cloud Search [MOD][XPOSED][4.0.3+] Whatsapp mods (remove action shortcuts from conversation)

Hi,

I would like to present my second Xposed Mod. I'm uploading this one too since the Waze one had some interest, so I hope this one can be of use to other people too.

Useful modifications to WhatsApp. Currently includes:
  • Removal of the voice and/or camera buttons from the conversation view
  • The ability to keep the contact list (called "New Chat" in WhatsApp) in your history, so when you launch a conversation using it and then press the back button, it doesn't skip straight back to the main conversations list.

Changelog can be found here.

Removal of the camera and/or voice buttons

Some time ago, WhatsApp added the "audio voice" feature. I found it hindered significantly more than it helped: if you tapped it accidentally, it would vibrate and emit a notification-like sound. And, I would do this repeatedly and so never found this useful (I don't use voice messaging).

More time passes, and they add a camera icon. This is more useful, and personally I'd prefer if that was the only one. So - I wrote this (it's also open source: https://github.com/jaysh/xposed-whatsapp). It's entirely configurable based on what you would like.

Before (with both camera and voice visible):
Before

After (no voice, no camera - you can choose which combination you'd like):
After

(Note: in all cases, the "send message" button will appear after you start typing, as it always would. Additionally, disabling sending still allows you to receive them.)

Keep contact list in the history

When navigating to a conversation via the "contact list" (main WhatsApp screen > "New Chat" on the action bar > Select a contact) and you press the back key, rather than returning to the contact list, it returns you back to the main WhatsApp screen with your list of conversations - which can be a little frustrating.

This mod allows you to "go back" to the contact list, so you can chat uninterrupted.

How to install

Recommended method: install via the Xposed module installer - search for "WhatsApp Mods"

Alternatively, for offline installation, you can use this APK: http://dl-count.xposed.info/modules/..._v4_da029a.apk

Please do let me know if any comments/feedback.

Thanks!
Jay
HTC One (M7), Android Revolution w/Xposed Framework.
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to jayshah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kabalah89
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Whatsapp+ can also be the same, even many other features..
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S4 - (GT-I9505)
Knox: 0x30 (Old Bootloader)
Rom: GoldenEye 41 - GNH2
Mod + Theme: By ambasadii 4.2 without 3 dot menu
Modem: GSM GNH2 - LTE MH1
Kernel: Googy-Max3 1.1.6
Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1
Battery: Original 2600 mAh
MicroSDXC: Samsung 64 GB Class 10

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF300T 32 GB WiFi + Dock
Official Latest Stock Jelly Bean - Root and Locked Bootloader
MicroSDHC: Samsung 32 GB Class 10

defim
Old
Thanks Meter 809
Great idea, I also dont like these 2 icons.
I noticed you are hiding them by setting width&heigh to 0. If I'm using thsi in eclipse it shows me that 0 values are not valid. Maybe you could better imagebutton.setVisibility(View.GONE)?
Motorola Defy+ aka MB526 Android 4.4.4 Cyanogen Mod
Samsung S4a aka GT-i9295 Android 4.2.2 Google Edition
My Android apps / Xposed modules: show Threads

jayshah
Old
(Last edited by jayshah; 22nd July 2014 at 10:39 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalah89 View Post
Whatsapp+ can also be the same, even many other features..
Good point - but I'd rather run the stock WhatsApp myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though. I really want less features, not more: I like WhatsApp to be a simple text/media exchange, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defim View Post
Great idea, I also dont like these 2 icons.
I noticed you are hiding them by setting width&heigh to 0. If I'm using thsi in eclipse it shows me that 0 values are not valid. Maybe you could better imagebutton.setVisibility(View.GONE)?
WhatsApp toggle their visibility based on what you are doing, e.g. if you're typing or not - so they don't stay hidden when you only toggle their visibility (in fact, the default layout doesn't even appear to have the correct viability settings applied, so I think they're relying on their Java code to toggle it). Open to other ideas on how to make it less hacky, naturally.
HTC One (M7), Android Revolution w/Xposed Framework.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayshah For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kabalah89
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshah View Post
That's cool - but I'd rather run the stock WhatsApp myself. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though.
I will of course respects your work .
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy S4 - (GT-I9505)
Knox: 0x30 (Old Bootloader)
Rom: GoldenEye 41 - GNH2
Mod + Theme: By ambasadii 4.2 without 3 dot menu
Modem: GSM GNH2 - LTE MH1
Kernel: Googy-Max3 1.1.6
Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1
Battery: Original 2600 mAh
MicroSDXC: Samsung 64 GB Class 10

Tablet: Asus Transformer TF300T 32 GB WiFi + Dock
Official Latest Stock Jelly Bean - Root and Locked Bootloader
MicroSDHC: Samsung 32 GB Class 10
The Following User Says Thank You to kabalah89 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chavocarlos
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Great work, personally I don't have problem with these buttons ... do you think you could change a weird behavior when you are view whatsapp contact list then select a contact, then press back and whatsapp returns to chat list instead contact list?
Device: Nexus 4 + Stock 4.4 ROM + Semaphore + Moto X Qualcomm optimizations = Great performance
Feat.: LMT + Xposed Framework + AppSettings + GravityBox = Awesome look and feel!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chavocarlos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ermacwins
Old
Thanks Meter 677

DONATE TO ME
Can you do similar for telegram?
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298

DecypherT
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Much appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 10

scorpio_bpl86
Old
Thanks Meter 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavocarlos View Post
Great work, personally I don't have problem with these buttons ... do you think you could change a weird behavior when you are view whatsapp contact list then select a contact, then press back and whatsapp returns to chat list instead contact list?
true
that is the most annoying thing in whatsapp

Phone:---------- Samsung Galaxy S5 on T-Mobile
★ ROM: ------- Dynamic Kat 3.0 GPE Theme 2.0
★ Kernel: -------- Stock
★ Recovery: -------- Philz Recovery
★ Android:--------- 4.4.2
★ Previous Phones : Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4,Galaxy Note 2 , Galaxy S3 , Galaxy S2, Blackberry bold 9780 , Nokia 5310 , Nokia 6600 , Nokia 3310
King ov Hell Old
Thanks Meter 0
Working on latest version (2.11.310) good job. Hope you will add that fix for contact list.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
android, mod, whatsapp, xposed