Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,536 Members 53,724 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from abusalimov: Prevents Wi-Fi from waking up on the lock screen or by application Wi-Fi locks

[MOD][XPOSED][KK] Wi-Fi Deep Sleep

Tip us?

Netuser
Old
Thanks Meter 611
There is something I dont understand, I thought that mobile data drain more battery then Wifi when used, so wouldn't turning off Wifi and using Mobile data instead will create more battery drain during the sleep ?
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919V)

My Mod: S5 Status Bar for S4 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2738359

Phone devices used in the past:
Xperia ZL
LG Optimus 2x P990
iPhone 3gs, 3g, 2g
Qtek S110 & S110
SE K800i & K750 & Z700
Nokia 6230 & 8210
+many others

maxxhtc
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netuser View Post
There is something I dont understand, I thought that mobile data drain more battery then Wifi when used, so wouldn't turning off Wifi and using Mobile data instead will create more battery drain during the sleep ?
Yeah, that was my question about kind of. Can't really see the benifit atm. I'm sure there is one or else this thread wouldn't exist but keen to find out why

abusalimov
Old
(Last edited by abusalimov; 26th May 2014 at 04:34 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netuser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxhtc View Post
Yeah, that was my question about kind of. Can't really see the benifit atm. I'm sure there is one or else this thread wouldn't exist but keen to find out why
Yeah, it is, in theory.
In practice keeping Wi-Fi on often causes certain wakelocks (like wlan_rx_wake) to drain more battery by keeping CPU active than a power needed to maintain a mobile data connection. The amount of time these wakelocks may take place depends on Wi-Fi router, I guess; at my home keeping Wi-Fi on during the night eats a looot more batter than when it is off and mobile internet is used instead. Also note that when Wi-Fi is on, all applications are aware that there is a high speed unlimited connection available, and thus may behave differently (start syncing heavy files, etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to abusalimov For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
battery saving, kitkat, wake lock, wi-fi