Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

tag organization system

Tip us?

Diego1751
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thumbs up tag organization system

let me start off by saying that the xposed framework is absolutely awesome but if you've noticed recently just the amount of modules have just gotten a bit unruly I suggest adding some sort of tag system to help organize all the modules

for example some the tags could be device specific modules, type of module, android version etc.

ie. I would disable any tags with sense or touchwiz because I do not on that device and those modules wouldn't work on my device

rovo89
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 13700
This is a frequently suggested feature and I think it's valid, but everytime I asked for someone to develop this idea further, replies stopped...

Before thinking about an implementation, it's necessary to find out which kind of categorization makes sense for most modules. There are more than 350 of them now and many of them have different requirements and purposes. Tags make only sense if they are understood and used consistently. Just giving developers the choice to create and assing tags won't work, there need to be clear guidelines, ideally even a predefined set of tags. These guidelines need to be drafted by someone, but I'm too busy to do the major work of it. If some people want to volunteer to analyse the existing modules, look for similarities (and differences) between modules, assign tags to them to get a feeling what's needed and propose guidelines, be my guest. You can use this thread for discussion and coordination.

Just to give you some examples which this isn't trivial:
- Some modules work for basically every ROM and devices.
- Others just work on certain ROMs on certain devices (the device alone is rarely a limiting factor).
- Others will work on a certain type of custom ROM (e.g. CyanogenMod-based) on different devices, but sometimes there might be a version limitation.
- Some modules can work on Sense and TouchWiz - so if you hide all TouchWiz modules, but want to see Sense modules, special filter logic is required.
- Some modules target a certain app.

That's just the works-or-not section, which I suggest to start with. Purposes of modules are even more segmented.
Tired of updating your mod for every new ROM release?
You want give users the possibility to combine different mods without creating tons of different files for all possible combinations?
Then have a look at my Xposed framework - modifications without APK changes!

GermainZ
Old
(Last edited by GermainZ; 29th June 2014 at 11:02 PM.)
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovo89 View Post
This is a frequently suggested feature and I think it's valid, but everytime I asked for someone to develop this idea further, replies stopped...

Before thinking about an implementation, it's necessary to find out which kind of categorization makes sense for most modules. There are more than 350 of them now and many of them have different requirements and purposes. Tags make only sense if they are understood and used consistently. Just giving developers the choice to create and assing tags won't work, there need to be clear guidelines, ideally even a predefined set of tags. These guidelines need to be drafted by someone, but I'm too busy to do the major work of it. If some people want to volunteer to analyse the existing modules, look for similarities (and differences) between modules, assign tags to them to get a feeling what's needed and propose guidelines, be my guest. You can use this thread for discussion and coordination.

Just to give you some examples which this isn't trivial:
- Some modules work for basically every ROM and devices.
- Others just work on certain ROMs on certain devices (the device alone is rarely a limiting factor).
- Others will work on a certain type of custom ROM (e.g. CyanogenMod-based) on different devices, but sometimes there might be a version limitation.
- Some modules can work on Sense and TouchWiz - so if you hide all TouchWiz modules, but want to see Sense modules, special filter logic is required.
- Some modules target a certain app.

That's just the works-or-not section, which I suggest to start with. Purposes of modules are even more segmented.
For the Xposed modules index thread, I'm using 9 categories to separate modules by their function, and additional tags for modules that are specific to an Android version or vendor.
If you find that that makes sense and if you'd like to use it, I can share a CSV file (which is easily usable with Python, which is why I picked it) that should have the necessary info to easily add it to your server's data "automatically" (by writing a hopefully short script) (fields include, among others: tags and package name for each module).

I realize this needs discussion and will take a good amount of time and effort, but I'm just offering the index right now should you want to take a look at it. Also, if you think I/the community can make your life easier by categorizing modules with additional tags, I'm sure many will step up to help.

Diego1751
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
That is so kind of you! Thats awesome

I will also say that I wasn't very clear. (What it became is way awesome)
I meant only like an automatic way to get ones that won't work with my device to be hidden

My scenario for this was I have an aosp gpe tablet. And when I'm brousing modules I don't want to scroll past 6 experia mods that don't apply to me.
Tags
feature request