Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,777,659 Members 43,632 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] xposed, VPN, ICS & Auto VPN Dialog Confirm

Tip us?

AllanonMage
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] xposed, VPN, ICS & Auto VPN Dialog Confirm

I read the module FAQ and the code page and tried out module & xposed code and I was not able to get around my problem. I'm not sure that it was supposed to get around my problem though, but I was hoping to get your take on things. I can't find much data, though I can find a few people asking the same questions as I.

I installed an android 4.3 ROM (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2121063) on my phone and tried to connect to an OpenVPN based VPN provider. I got an error and contacted their support. Part of that process was to try another app, so we tried the OpenVPN COnnect app, the official OpenVPN app. I got a different error with that app.

One says that "your android firmware does not support the VPNService API("

OpenVPN Connect says "Sorry, due to a known issue in this version of android, it is not possible to gain permission to open a VPN tunnel"

There seems to be a few problems popping up with OpenVPN based VPNs in various Android 4.x OSs, but none complaine about 4.3 specifically. Usually they complain about 4.4 or back when 4.0 and 4.1 were new. I found this article talking about it on OpenVPN, and they're just pointing the finger, but I can't find the actual bug referenced:
https://forums.openvpn.net/topic13772.html

I came across your code on this page:
https://code.google.com/p/ics-openvpn/wiki/FAQ

And decided to try loading xposed and your module after emailing OpenVPN Connect and receiving a response right away. The guy who replied seemed to think the error is related to the fact that the confirmation acknowledgement dialog is not able to be summoned. I figured maybe the ROM wasn't bypassing it properly or missing some part of it, so I tried your way of bypassing it.

After loading xposed and your module, and selecting the 2 VPN apps, I still get the same results.

What are your thoughts? Should I give up and find a new ROM?
Philosophy
Why am I stating the obvious? b/c back in the day, The Internets were full of answers. Nowadays, they are full of questions. Please, take the time to do like I am doing here and make sure to "seed" the information back there in an intelligible & detailed manner so that the next guy doesn't have to spend a day & a half researching how to re-engineer the wheel.

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

AllanonMage
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
After some more research and experimentation yesterday, it's looking more like those OpenVPN clients that "support" the VPNServiceAPI actually *require* it, and that annoying/nasty little dialog that google enabled to "protect" the user just serves to piss off advanced users like me. This is my hypothesis at this point, though I have not confirmed this. I suspect this because I just tested on Jelly Bomb, a 4.1 based ROM and see the same results so far.

As far as what I was talking about in my OP, I copy/pasted an email to the author of the xposed module here and tried to reformat it to fit the message board, and apparently I missed a few pronouns. By far not the most egregious use of the English language I've seen on these boards, so what's with the attitude? I don't see specific sub forums for each and every module, so I don't get what you're implying. I only saw the one xposed board, so where else was I supposed to post?
Philosophy
Why am I stating the obvious? b/c back in the day, The Internets were full of answers. Nowadays, they are full of questions. Please, take the time to do like I am doing here and make sure to "seed" the information back there in an intelligible & detailed manner so that the next guy doesn't have to spend a day & a half researching how to re-engineer the wheel.

http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

GermainZ
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6155
No attitude, I honestly didn't understand how your issue was related to the Xposed framework. I just searched the repo for "VPN" and now see what you're talking about.
The Auto VPN Dialog Confirm doesn't have a thread here on XDA. Reading your post again, you're trying to use Xposed to fix a bug with the app if I'm not mistaken? I'd first try checking the logcat and forwarding that to the author of the VPN app if you haven't already.

I can't answer the rest of your questions since that's up to the module's author. That being said, it looks like a module specific question/request, not a framework query.
Tags
ice cream sandwhich, openvpn